Windshield Cleaning (Long Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behind a truck and some sort of noxious stuff got on
the Windshield. Went to a glass replacement shop, was told
to use alcohol. Nothing! He then recommends Turtle Wax
Fine polishing compound. Slightly better. Invisible Glass.
No real difference. I was going to try a single edge razor
blade next. Please, please help! P.S It is a new car

Alcohol is not a solvent for lots of stuff.

With care, try acetone [nail polish remover] or Naptha [lighter fluid].

follow with your normal window cleaning.

Mix 1/3 Sudsy Ammonia + 1/3 Vinegar + 1/3 water. Soak on with a clean rag and let sit for a minute or so. Wipe off with clean absorbent towels or squeegee off.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Use a brick and make a windscreen claim.

This guy's thinking with his dipstick :) I like it
thumbsup2.gif

Odorless mineral spirits on a rag removes most gluey or waxy substances fairly quickly. It did wonders on the old tint adhesive on my windows.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: Silk
Use a brick and make a windscreen claim.

This guy's thinking with his dipstick :) I like it
thumbsup2.gif

I can see it now... Next thread started is;

Why are my Auto insurance rates so high?

smirk2.gif

bobbob:

If I were you I would try to identify what the stuff is before trying to select a cleaner. Any ideas as to what it is?

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
bobbob:

If I were you I would try to identify what the stuff is before trying to select a cleaner. Any ideas as to what it is?

Are you actually saying that people should have some clue what the problem is before they offer solutions?
shocked2.gif

Continue with the compound or polish to remove the stain. Paint compounds shouldn't be strong enough to scratch glass.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
WD-40 or mineral spirits will normally remove just about anything. Dawn dishwashing liquid will remove the WD-40 or mineral spirits.

Silicone on glass? It etches glass!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Mix 1/3 Sudsy Ammonia + 1/3 Vinegar + 1/3 water. Soak on with a clean rag and let sit for a minute or so. Wipe off with clean absorbent towels or squeegee off.
I think you want to use EITHER vinegar ammonia, never mixed. Note that white vinegar is simply mild to moderate ACID and will etch down glass and porcelin glaze a bit faster than you migh think!
Ammonia in water is good for moderate oil and grease, IPA drygas ( sans water) is good for bug goo and Fur and Pine sap. I would agree with mechtech2, that a mineral distillate (MEK, Acetone, Toluene,) would be good for stubborn oil and grease and tar cleanup. Years ago, I was in charge of Freon TF elimination for (classified) manufacturing cleaning process. We ended up using Hot 30-40% Hydrogen Peroxide in (one stage of) a wet bench, and Heated 2-Propanol (IPA) in a cleanline with mega fire supression. The H202 was great at chewing up most any organic on a metallised alumina surface.

Last edited:
I use Bar Keeper's Friend (I think this is very similiar to Bon Ami) a few times a year on a 10yr Volvo and BMW. I put about a tablespoon in a wet washcloth and gentle rub in circles for a few minutes on one-half the windshield, then repeat the same on the other side, then rinse with a clean washcloth and then dry with a towel. It does not scratch the glass and will take care of water spots. The visual clarity is amazing after that.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: kballowe
WD-40 or mineral spirits will normally remove just about anything. Dawn dishwashing liquid will remove the WD-40 or mineral spirits.

Silicone on glass? It etches glass!

Show me where mineral spirits or wd-40 etches glass in this application.

Thanks

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back