Cousin's Crazy Cavalier Saga (long post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My teenage cousin has had a 97 Cavalier for about 6 months and is suddenly having lots of trouble with it. I've helped him as much as I can. Looking for more assistance or anecdotes of dealing with these cars/engines. Since he doe not know much about cars, you will see that sometimes all I can do is say that he told me something, with no guarantee that he was making the correct observation.
Here is the narrative:

Car was fine for months. A couple weeks ago the CEL would come on sometimes, but would go out when he shut the car down and re-started it. I told him to take 10 minutes and go to Auto Zone to get the codes read. Being a college freshman he has never had the time to do that, to this day, or so he claims.

About 2 weeks ago he claimed the Low Coolant light would flicker on and off sometimes while driving. I told him how to check the coolant level and he reported it to be slightly low (below cold fill line), but the overflow tank was far from dry. He added a little coolant and that problem went away.

Last week, he was driving to school (about an hour commute) when the temp gauge went towards the red range when he was almost at school. He shut the car off for about 10 minutes, then continued on his way, the temp gauge now reading right in the middle where it usually did. The same thing happened on his way home that day.

Enter myself into the story...went over there, visually inspected things, coolant level was fine, car would not repeat the same overheating trick for me, heater was blowing nice and warm. CEL light not on. Allowed car to idle about 15 minutes, then drove a mix of city and highway driving for about 20 minutes, then let it idle for about half an hour. Nothing changed. Oil was normal, no sign of coolant in it. Not much I could do without the kid getting the codes read.

Next couple days went fine, nothing unusual. Then the same issue of overheating toward the end of the commute happened twice in one day. All I could do was ask my cousin to check his coolant level, which he reported still seemed to not be moving and to be full while cold.

Friday while driving home, he called me in a panic saying the car kept overheating even if he stopped for 15 minutes. Once he got going it would overheat in about 2 minutes. I drove across the state to help, arrived and found the overflow bottle's cap blown off and coolant all over the bottle (not the whole engine bay). I had guessed he filled it while it was hot and overfilled the coolant, which had expanded and caused the cap to blow. We waited until the car was cold, went out to eat and did some shopping, returned and refilled it with coolant. I followed him home and the car was fine. However that day I did notice that the fan did not seem to be kicking on when the car was idling, it would only come on if the air conditioner was turned on. I thought that could be a potential problem. I also suspected a blown-but-not-yet-tragic head gasket, though the fact that the coolant wasn't disappearing had me hoping that was wrong. Oil still looked like oil, no visual sign of coolant.

Saturday I had a chance to play with the car much more. I replaced the thermostat just for good measure, however I am no genius and am not sure how to tell if the old thermo was defective (it visually appeared fine). The fan seemed to be working fine that day, always turned on as it should (AFAIK). I did a simple radiator flush (drained old coolant, ran distilled water through it, then refilled with new coolant) and bled it for about 2 hours while idling, but still it seemed to have an air bubble somewhere (heater core???) as it blows warm air only intermittently. It was always blowing warm air beforehand, which makes me suspect an air pocket in the system. Meanwhile, the temp gauge was going up and down like a yo-yo, between the middle of the normal range, and the extreme end of the normal range almost in the red. But it never "overheated", even after taking it for several rides.

Now he reports it is overheating like clockwork 5 minutes into every single ride he goes on. He only has to shut the car off for about 2 minutes before restarting and being perfectly fine the rest of the trip. No coolant consumption has been observed. Heater still works only intermittently. The CEL has come on a couple times since last week but each time it goes off then the car is re-started.

That's where we are right now, without him getting the codes read I can't think of anything else I can do. Again I am no mechanic, just a DIY guy who likes to help people out. Any help is appreciated!!!

If he won't even drop by a parts store to get the codes read for FREE, he's not willing to help himself. Being a college freshman has nothing to do with it. We all have 24 hours in a day; it's a matter of priorities. Some folks just have to learn the hard way.

If your willing to help, and drive it around that much, swing by Autozone and check it out. That's a start.

Sounds like the water pump has slowly eaten itself to death. I've seen a few removed from engines with no impellers left! Or, perhaps the temp sendor or gage is toast. If he was driving down the highway and it went right to the end of the gage red for very long, steam would likely be spewing out the overflow and it would be obvious an overheat was occurring.

I second benjamming's observation-->(being a college freshman has nothing to do with it).

HecK!If he doesn't want to take the time to help himself, why should you????)

IMHO flush the cooling systems first and replace the thermostat for once, and then retrieve the ODB codes to see what's wrong with the rest of the car.

p.s. When I was in my freshman/junior years, I worked underneath my car to replace starter under -30C. Was I busy back then? #@$%! yeah! I was working part-time to pay my tuition and on top of that I have a GF to look after!

coffee.gif
One day sitting by the phone:

Brrrrrrriiiiiing...

Cuz 1: "Hello?"

Cuz 2: "Hey Cuz, my car's jinky, come work on it."

Cuz 1: "What are the error codes in the ECM saying is wrong?"

Cuz 2: "Don't know, I'm a freshman so I'm too cool/bizzy to go get them checked"

Cuz 1: "Call back when you've had time."

[dial tone.........]
coffee.gif

Quote:

Being a college freshman he has never had the time to do that, to this day, or so he claims.

I wouldn't want to give up my time with 10 cent beers ERRRRR!.....two dollar beers either. (Yes, Wednesday was 10 cent beer night at Dooley's in Ann Arbor circa 1988)

Or .25 mixed-drinks Thursdays at the Silver Dollar in San Antonio in 1979. 50-cent doubles. (Really). Just think of what $5 could do!! (Minimum wage was about $3.30 as I recall).

Won't take time for codes, can't help. (I extend it to things as simple as showing me tire inflation readings and super clean glass. I don't get bothered much as a result, but they know I'll search for days to find the problem. As well as giving them a list of what else needs doing; what it should cost, how long it would take, etc).

^^^ Dang, that reminds me of the $0.35 Black Labels at the National Bar at the state pier in New Bedford, MA (1978). Anyway, there is a bleed screw located near the coil pack. You have to move the plug wires a little bit to see it and I think the size is 5/16" socket with a long extension (I use a nut driver). Bleed when the engine is not running. Anyway, Drew's suggestion about the water pump is a possibility that I didn't think of. Dexcool can cause cavitation problems if neglected and that can eat at the impeller.

BTW the water pump is an easy job on the 2.2 OHV engine (but try bleeding first to see if that helps). Best tip I can suggest is to loosen the pulley bolts before you remove the serpentine belt. This will save you some cussing later.

I'd put money on a headgasket as well. Same thing happened to me when I rebuilt my 302 in my bronco....same symptoms and everything.

Overflowing coolant recovery bottle is a sure sign..the combustion pressure is getting into the cooling system through the water-jacket and over-pressuring the cooling system.

Easy test. Go to a radiator shop. They'll open the radiator and cover the cap with a clear glass thingy filled with a blue chemical. The fumes coming off the coolant and bubbling through the blue stuff will turn it red (or some other color). This blue chemical detects hydrocarbons in your coolant.

Most rad shops don't even charge for this service, he can just phone around and find one that can do it. You can get an absolute diagnosis this way. No loss of coolant doesn't rule out a bad headgasket.

drive to autozone yourself get the codes, grab an oil sample, check coolant when fully cold. I got a 96 sunfire 2.2L same mechanicals as this car. my wife called me a year ago saying the coolant gauge light came on. it was barley under full cold, added dexcool, the light hasn't come on since. I think the fan is defective in these cars because sitting in traffic the coolant gauge goes up but not in the red. it comes back down while driving. The UOAs prove no coolant leak.

^^^ My temp gauge (2002 Cavalier) goes up a little when in traffic w/o A/C on too. The 2.2 OHV engine is not known to have head gasket problems where the oil mixes w/water. There were some issues in the earlier models with an external head gasket leak on the front side corner of the head near #4 cylinder.

Thanks folks...update...the kid ran out of funds and the car is now parked. I will be taking a look at it tomorrow but don't want to get too dirty with all of the family around. Looks like he may sell it to one of his friends and get a Grand Am that's for sale at a local gas station.

Still hasn't had the codes read...and I emailed him a link to this thread, go figure!

You can take the kid out of the fog ..but you can't get the ..

I think it's something in the water ..maybe a second gen side effect of floride (visions of Dr. Strangelove, contamination of our essence).

I don't think a head gasket would calm down and get all excited again with a new start of the day. I wonder if the lower rad hose is getting sucked shut ..but I can't see why that would "go away" after it over heated ...except in the resulting cool down it would draw in more coolant. Still odd.

See if you can collapse the lower hose. It should have a spring in it.

Tell him to come up to periscope depth once in a while to get his bearings. He's getting lost in tunnel vision. There's always some sacrifice in the experience of higher learning ..but surely there must be something else he can give up besides common sense.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back