Windows DVD player, free download?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most PCs with a DVD optical drive come with DVD movie player software bundled in the Windows setup, like WinDVD or PowerDVD.

Say we have a PC missing this software, and recovery disks are not in sight. Any recommendations for a free DVD player program that will play commercial DVDs?

In this situation, media player can't play movie industry DVDs because of the copy protection.

The newest version of Windows Media player plays DVD's for free, what windows are you running?

You could also use WIN VLC, or Winamp.

sorry to the bearer of bad news but the dvd player is not part of windows xp etc. I had the same issue and since then I stick to dell hw only so I am able to install the dvd decoder software. if I remember right the mpeg2 decryptor has to be licensed, henced it was separate...
I can download entire software from dell support site. not sure if that helps

I've had a simiar problem for quite a while now, maybe 2 years. Finding the needed video codec for free has eluded me. I've been offered, and followed, endless advice- none of which has helped. Result- sorry, I can't tell you how to find the codec that will allow your Windows Media player to play DVD's again.

BUT: If you just want to play DVDs on your computer's DVD drive, and it doesn't *Have* to be Windows, there is an easy solution. Google "VLC Media Player" & you should be able to find some sources for free download. And it has a little bonus- with VLC, you can play other "regions" on your computer. Example: my UK Region 2 dvds(Allo Allo) play just fine on my computer with VLC. Back when WMP worked(bfore I pulled a dumb stunt & deleted the codec!
smirk2.gif
), it wouldn't play those UK videos at all.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
+1 for VLC as a general use player.

x2. I use VLC on Linux also.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Download the K-Lite codec pack, install it, and you will be able to play DVDs with Windows Media Player.

This is all I use
thumbsup2.gif

Download,install = watchin DVD's in no time
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back