Computer w/DVD ROM drive no longer plays DVDs,why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello experts! If any of you can help with this problem, I'll be most grateful.

The computer in question- an E-Machines T2682 model bought new at Best Buy several years ago, had a CD R/W drive and a DVD Rom drive from the factory. Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz processor, Windows XP Home Ed, 80 GB HD, 1/2 dozen USB prts- though I think they're all the first version, not USB 2.0. Just for background. Only thing ever done inside was to replace the power supply several months ago.

Anyhoo, shortly after buying the computer & getting it up & running, just out of curiousity I rented a DVD at the local video store. It played just fine & I watched a so-so movie w/Bruce Willis. All A-OK- but time marched on, a year or two later I bought a DVD player, & never played a DVD in the computer again.

Since then, have done the over-the-internet updates to Windows & Windows Media Player many times, now using WMP 11. It probably started off at WMP 9 or maybe less. Don't remember exactly when I got it, maybe 4 yrs ago?

Today I tried playing a Region 2 (U.K., I have just a few of these) DVD in the computer- and it told me that WMP could not play it because the computer had no compatible DVD decoder. OK, no big deal I thought, it's just that the computer, like most DVD players sold in the USA, can't play anything but Region 1 or region-free DVDs. Yup, that's what I thought.

Then I tried playing a good old normal Region 1 dvd- same exact messages. Uh-oh Andy. Went to a MS Windows site, downloaded a MS Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility, ran it- and it told me that my computer has *No* video decoder of any kind on it! Uh- well OK, but if so, how did it play that DVD several years ago?

Is it possible that:
*moving up to WMP 10, then WMP 11 "wiped out", removed or masked its video decoder?
*that when the power supply died, that somehow killed it- seems unlikely though, because this is the only glitch I've found since repoacing that power supply.
*the video decoder is part of/tied to the DVD rom drive, and has "gone bad"? If so, might a new DVD drive fix it?

I've searched for free downloads for Video Decoders/MPEG-2 decoders for WMP11, but so far no luck, not even from the evil empire- you know, MS. Everything is either $$ now or $$ later or for use by computers *without* WMP 11. Or just a whole new download of WMP 11 complete- free, but is that gonna help?

Any help appreciated. I was hoping to download old TV programs to the computer off my DVDs, then run them through an MP3 player's software so I could watch 'em on its tiny screen. If I could download DVDs into my computer, then I'd have a really good excuse to get myself that really cool little Sansa e280 mp3/video player, right? But if I can't even play the DVDs on the computer, I sure can't copy them. Realize copying is gonna take some software, but gotta get 'em to play first.
TIA

THANK YOU!
bowdown2.gif
Downloaded it, & though I'm now making lotsa learning curve mistakes, it plays DVDs fine- even the Region 2 from jolly old England!
thumbsup.gif
It doesn't play through WMP, but that's OK- I got DVD again.
cool.gif

Right now, I *think*(hope?
grin.gif
) that it's recording one of the Reg 2 discs in a different format than what it is on the DVD- I chose WAV, probably better choices on the list but really dunno the differences, gotta research that. If it comes up with something watchable actually stored on the computer, then I may just be forced to get a Sansa e280 while they're still on sale. 8GB internal capacity, plus slot for micro SD cards(2 GB versions are ~$20 at Amazon)- gotta face it, I'm just cursed with a love of gadgetry. Probably should get one of those plastic credit card magnifiers to watch with too!

Thanks again, working great so far.
cheers.gif

Thanks for the input. I still haven't gotten my dvds to play using WMP11, but VLC plays & stores 'em OK so far.

I have a little Creative Zen Nano Plus- no video of course, 1GB capacity, about 1/8" narrower and 1/4" taller than the old standard-sized Zippo cigarette lighter. Really cool feature: line-in recording! Plan to do a couple of cassettes with this.

As far as getting a smal multimedia/video capable player: I went & saw the Sansa e200 series in person- the screen is just too small. I've also seen the Creative Zen-something players- sweet, but again the screen is just too small. I then found/"discovered" the Best Buy house brand Insignia players- turns out the cool ones(NS-DV4G) were just now discontinued, & there's a feeding frenzy going on on Ebay & elsewhere right now, they tend to get bid *Way* up there$$! Too bad, one of those at a bargain price would do nicely- the difference between a 1.8" & 2.2" screen may not sound like much, but side-by-each the apparent difference is huge.

Turns out Best Buy has a new model coming very soon, the Pilot- it'll be list price only for a while, but it's a honey, smaler than the previous model but with a slightly larger screen, even has bluetooth. And just last night I "discovered" the new Creative Zen model that's soon-to-come- that's "just plain Zen"(no Nano, no V, M, W, etc), no bluetooth, slightly larger than & $10 more than the equivalent Pilot- but mighty tempting also. Things are coming out so fast now it's probably best to just wait a while- but I'm gonna keep my eye out for a refurb.

BTW- even though the Zen is larger than the Pilot, it can still hide behind a credit card!
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back