Win-7U -- Dang -- I FINALLY Managed to Crash It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downloaded the Microsoft security Essentials after seeing in different forums how it was so "good" at it's job. Of course I had to download a bunch up updates as well.

This caused my laptop to slow down so much that I was ready to toss it in the trash! I managed to get rid of that mess after almost three hours!

No more of Microsoft security software for me.....ever!

Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
I downloaded the Microsoft security Essentials after seeing in different forums how it was so "good" at it's job. Of course I had to download a bunch up updates as well.

This caused my laptop to slow down so much that I was ready to toss it in the trash! I managed to get rid of that mess after almost three hours!

No more of Microsoft security software for me.....ever!

I had to do the same. Every time it tried to update it locked it up hard. I'm starting to think that what caused my Vista problems. MSSE started out great but it seemed with every update it got worse. Win 7 is fairly stable now although the 32 bit programs sometimes don't play nice in the 64 bit environment.

Last edited:
MSSE does take a decent amount of CPU time for its active file monitoring.. I have Prime95 running working on 4 numbers and one of them is taking .007-.010 seconds longer per iteration than the other three. It happens to be the same core MSSE is working off of.

I'm coming from a longtime user of Norton products, and just converted all my machines (2 w/ Win7, 1 w/XP) over to MSSE. All the machines are running much better with MSSE, especially my netbook which would bog down when Norton would do background scans..

Win7 rocks. I am very happy with my Win7P setup at home.

I loved XP for its flawless reliability and ease of use, but 7 is just the same except newer and faster.

We all have so many differences in our setups that I suppose there's never going to be a "standard" answer. I liked XP at first, but ended up having a lot of trouble with it. Win-7U, for me, so far, has been fantastic. Even with one whole BSOD.

You guys are having better luck than I. I finally got it to boot right.. the secondary IDE was seen as c: and screwed up the bootmgr. Now it has slowed to a crawl. I've disabled alot and tried different drives to no avail. Going to try rebuilding with the 32 bit version and see what happens. I hate computers with a passion.. rarely does something just work for me always a fight it seems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back