Will thread sealant reduce leaks here?

People on a Volvo forum say not to remove the transmission dipstick tube from the pan because it will always leak after putting it back, and instead drop the pan with the tube attached. I tried that but these wasn't enough room so I ended up removing it anyway. Would putting a sealant on the thread help with leaks on this type of flair seal? I don't think so as fluid that gets past the flare would just between the tube and the nut, right?

IMG_1776.JPG

That's a flare fitting. What I'd do is... torque, loosen, torque, loosen, torque... and cross my fingers.

Maybe some Nylog on the flare if you have some laying around? The trans fluid may dissolve it pretty quickly, though. 🤷‍♂️

The interface between the flare of the tube and where it mates to the pan is what provides the seal.

For that, I'd use a Hylomar type product.

I've only had one leak because it had badly crossed threads and just couldn't get the torque up. I made a flare washer. Don't remember now if it was 1/2 or 3/4" but I used a standard 45 degree flaring tool to flare a bit of pipe, cut it down and annealed it. Hasn't leaked in 6 years.

Back