Will modern cars become collectible?

Maybe they will be collectable someday, but any EV's will not be stock! No one will have one with the battery on board. 🤣

I just got back from time travelling to 2070. Here’s the list.

Corvettes
Camaros
Mustangs
Challengers
Chargers
Vipers
Ford GT40

The more liters, the better. Any factory power adders like superchargers or turbos up the price.

Wait, some guy paid 1 meelion dollars for a Datsun B-210.

I started thinking about this with a different discussions.

I remember seeing a commercial once for an extended warranty program, where the sales pitch was that "Cars are practically computers these days." But to some degree that is true. I'm not quite sure how repairable modern cars with sophisticated electronics will be. I do remember seeing a Ford Model A club with working vehicles. I would guess they were able to find replacement parts made with more modern materials and these days might be able to machine or even 3D print replacement parts.

But all the electronics on modern cars might be difficult to replace. I remember hearing about military electronics where they bought millions of dollars worth of replacement electronics that were nearing end of production. But at the very least when electronics might fail I suppose there could be custom replacements that don't exactly match. I'm not sure how that might be handled with the primary systems these days that are accessed through a touch screen. Could there be a drop in replacement in 30 years for the touch screens?
Some "modern" cars are. The Lexus IS500 will very likely become collectible. The Dodge neon srt-4 is showing signs of becoming a collectors vehicle as most were cheap and rode hard. Manual transmission bmw M3's because for some reason the head of the M division now hates manuals apparently. Five years ago he was "all in" on manuals. Anything that was good performance but got a meh reaction. 20 years ago you could pick up a Jaguar XJ220 under the show and display rule for nothing now they are approaching 500k

There will be collectible or at least special interest cars out of today's crop of new cars.
In fifty years, a nice survivor bought by an older person and rarely driven will be valued by some, just as such vintage survivors are now that were nothing special when new.
Cars that are special now will be more so fifty years on, with a premium for good original survivors.
One of the dirty little secrets of the hobby is that few gorgeous restorations were pulled out of junkyards and then expensively made as new.
You try to start with a decent original and work from there.
Also, expensive top of the tree cars will be carefully maintained and lightly used through there lives, so there will be many available in nice original condition fifty years on.
Nobody is daily driving a Bugatti Veyron.

I just got back from time travelling to 2070. Here’s the list.

Corvettes
Camaros
Mustangs
Challengers
Chargers
Vipers
Ford GT40

The more liters, the better. Any factory power adders like superchargers or turbos up the price.

Wait, some guy paid 1 meelion dollars for a Datsun B-210.
Someone paid 14 grand for an all original Ford Pinto at barrett Jackson a few years ago.

Back