Will Liquid Castile Soap Clog Drains?

I was thinking of buying a big bottle of liquid castile soap, then I read somewhere that it can clog drains because it was made by the cold process that leaves oils unchanged or something like that. I was also going to use diluted castile liquid soap [1:4 soap / water ratio] to wash dishes with.

I've heard the same from plumbers.

A family that owned an estate I managed used nothing but Castile soap and in the ~5 years I was there I don't recall there ever being even a slightly clogged shower or tub drain.

Wife's family used it for years (maybe decades) and didn't have any issues. Only one shower for five people so that drain saw a lot of castile soap.

I'm thinking that Castille soap will tend to clog drains with buildup over time if you have hard water. The oil in the soap reacts with the minerals in the water and may not rinse clean. If I were to make dish soap with Castille soap I'd add lemon juice or vinegar to my concoction.

I've used Dr Bronner's liquid castile and castile bar soap for years for washing my hands with no apparent problems from it.

Doesn't all soap clog drains over time? Or is it the combination of soap and hair (with it mostly being the hair, it's the soap that holds the hair together and in place). Seriously check out some of the YouTube videos where people experiment with putting hair in a jar of bleach.

That ain't good stuff, leaves a lot of residue. Wash a car with it once, and it was covered with a white chalky residue
Avoid!

Below is the best product I have found for dishes.

Destroys those two old hags Dawn and Joy. I dilute it 3 to 1.

Choose the Clementine zest and Lemongrass only

7th gen clementine zest.jpg

What exactly is the difference between castile soap and regular soap? I always used Paul Mitchell Tea Tree bar soap. I had Dr Bonner’s Castile Tea Tree bar soap recommended to me from the store that quit carrying the Paul Mitchell one.

That ain't good stuff, leaves a lot of residue. Wash a car with it once, and it was covered with a white chalky residue
Avoid!

Below is the best product I have found for dishes.

Destroys those two old hags Dawn and Joy. I dilute it 3 to 1.

Choose the Clementine zest and Lemongrass only

View attachment 130463

You're saying castile liquid soap leaves residue?
Ironically, I have the same 7th Gen soap and the same flavor as this.
I do like the stuff.
I've mostly used natural brands like this. They cost a little more but they don't smell overpowering like Dawn, etc.
I also have Kroger brand "Check This Out" lemon scented dish detergent that I like. It has a very mild scent.

I'm a retired plumber and have never seen a drain clogged by castile soap. I used Kirks Castile for years before switching to Dr. Bronners liquid castile and I can't remember the last time I had a clogged drain. My 2 cents.

What exactly is the difference between castile soap and regular soap? I always used Paul Mitchell Tea Tree bar soap. I had Dr Bonner’s Castile Tea Tree bar soap recommended to me from the store that quit carrying the Paul Mitchell one.

Castile soap is made with vegetable oil and lye. Originally it was made with olive oil, but now most often less expensive palm or coconut oil (Dr. Bronners uses mostly palm oil).

Traditionally "regular" soap is made with animal fats (usually tallow) and lye, but now is made mostly with vegetable oil and a milder base. Some have added detergents, which tends to make them less biodegradable.

Some of my outdoor friends are true believers in the Dr. Bronner's label. They think that it's somehow magically different and better for the environment. But it's not really that different than a plain soap (no detergent, no moisturizers).

I've lived in areas with hard water and I used to get a lot of soap scum buildup very quickly.
A thick white chalky residue was what I noticed in my sink and tub after using Castille soap when I had hard water. I didn't get that residue with soft water but I haven't used Castille soap in years.

Castile soap is made with vegetable oil and lye. Originally it was made with olive oil, but now most often less expensive palm or coconut oil (Dr. Bronners uses mostly palm oil).

Traditionally "regular" soap is made with animal fats (usually tallow) and lye, but now is made mostly with vegetable oil and a milder base. Some have added detergents, which tends to make them less biodegradable.

Some of my outdoor friends are true believers in the Dr. Bronner's label. They think that it's somehow magically different and better for the environment. But it's not really that different than a plain soap (no detergent, no moisturizers).

Not sure it's about saving the world but being purer soap.
Dr. Bronners is more about natural ingredients vs synthetics. It also has no foaming agents added.

Best bar soap I found over 30 year of paying attention to bath soaps is Pears Original. I have use Kirks and Bronner's and Tom's and Bert's and Neutrogena and also made my own semi-cold process using food- grade veggie and nut oils for a few years.

Pear's has the best aspects of glycerin and palm kernel and tallow bar soaps; lathers very well, may have some anti-bacterial benefits as it employs ancient Egyptian tech, rinses clean and FAST and ... it isn't loaded with white paint pigment!
Downsides are: it smells a bit medicinal and it is consumed rapidly.
Lost my local source at RiteAid years ago, I have to buy it on Amazon (yikes!) beware of many bad sellers there.

Pear's Pure and Gentle - 125g size

prears _outofbox.jpg

pears_pure_gental.jpg

Back