Will I need torque wrench to do strut bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do if they are camber/crash bolts, that is all that's holding the alignment. For normal big bolts like that on static parts with no adjustment I use the impact gun for a few burps.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I do if they are camber/crash bolts, that is all that's holding the alignment. For normal big bolts like that on static parts with no adjustment I use the impact gun for a few burps.

You are human!! Haha, trying to explain torque wrenches v impact is so difficult.

Sure I am but being in this business all my life you learn whats acceptable and what isn't. I was never a hack and use torque tools and angles where they are needed but not on stuff that tight is more than good enough.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Next time, hang around in a real shop doing the suspension work. Come back here and tell us how many mechanics actual used torque wrench to torque these bolts.

If you find more than handful of places using torque wrenches, I will eat my shoes.

Would you like ketchup on you fillet of sole?

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Next time, hang around in a real shop doing the suspension work. Come back here and tell us how many mechanics actual used torque wrench to torque these bolts.

If you find more than handful of places using torque wrenches, I will eat my shoes.

Would you like ketchup on you fillet of sole?

Are you telling me that they all use the torque wrench when tightening the suspension bolts? Really??

You can get by without a torque wrench but I would use one. As a DYI guy, many projects are the first and last time I'll ever do them. If I did the same thing long enough to get a feel for it, I may not need a torque wrench but would use it since I already have one handy.

Last edited:

Working mechanics tend to do repairs as quickly, cheaply, and conveniently as possible. That means they are hardly the epitome of those who follow proper procedurals. Having someone install TTY fasteners and trusting his muscle memory is a scary thought. I had to practically force a mechanic once to replace transmission mount bolts and ball joint bolts with new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back