Will Brake Cleaner Damage Nylon Mesh Gears?

Hello,

I'm refurbishing my 28 year old windshield wiper mechanism. I need to clean off remains of the old grease before applying new. Gear are made of Nylon. Will brake cleaner negatively affect their condition, both short/long term? Perhaps a non-chlorinated version can be used? Thanks

#1.jpg
#2.jpg

WD-40 and a nylon toothbrush will clean that right up with zero risk. Brake cleaner leeching into the nooks and crannies sounds too harsh for that job IMO

Last edited:
I'd just use gasoline and a toothbrush, as long as there are no *sealed* ball bearings that the gas might get into and foul, that you didn't intend to replace or regrease.

I'd just use gasoline and a toothbrush, as long as there are no *sealed* ball bearings that the gas might get into and foul, that you didn't intend to replace or regrease.

I used water-based degreaser and then rinsed with hot water while scrubbing with a toothbrush.

I avoid getting brake cleaner on any plastic. Even if you don’t see damage immediately, it can cause a breakdown in the plastic itself over time. Alcohol, heptane, chlorinated solvents, all attack various plastics. Too hard for me to know which is which.

I avoid getting brake cleaner on any plastic. Even if you don’t see damage immediately, it can cause a breakdown in the plastic itself over time. Alcohol, heptane, chlorinated solvents, all attack various plastics. Too hard for me to know which is which.

What about a non-chlorinated brake cleaner?

Much safer. I wouldn't want it to soak into the part, however, so, a bit of brake cleaner at a time, just to clean up what the toothbrush missed...

Some aerosol gun cleaners list "safe for plastic" on their labels. They smell similar to non-chlorinated brake clear, so, I expect they're mostly alcohol and/or heptane. They cost about 3 times as much, but you might want to try one of those, just to be safe. Walmart should have some.

Nylon has excellent resistance to gasoline. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner should also be fine as nylon has excellent resistance to heptane and acetone too.

Don’t use it on plastic not a good idea. I got some on a plastic piece of my dads truck and it didn’t react well at all. It was chlorinated I don’t buy the non chlorinated so I’m not sure how that would do on that probably not much better.

WD40

I've been in the grease on nylon gears scenario before. Brake cleaner didn't cut the grease but WD40 did.

Just rinse it with ipa or something afterwards if you don't want it affecting the viscosity of the oil you apply. Frankly it may not be worth the trouble of actually cleaning the old grease. It's been pushed to the side anyway.

Some aerosol gun cleaners list "safe for plastic" on their labels. They smell similar to non-chlorinated brake clear, so, I expect they're mostly alcohol and/or heptane. They cost about 3 times as much, but you might want to try one of those, just to be safe. Walmart should have some.
Don't waste your money on aerosol gun cleaners . Use Non-Chlorinated brake parts cleaner for a fraction of the price .

Nylon will dissolve if an acid comes in contact with it. Acid is used to make it IIRC my old chemistry lab projects right.

Back