Modern grease longevity in application vs 30 years ago

I should add, for clarity, I do understand that a windshield wiper mechanism, however "sophisticated" doesn't require a "special" grease. However, when Mercedes specs Gleitpaste in WIS for sunroof, it's not that unreasonable to go with a recommendation, and use a left-over on a fairly complex wiper mechanism. The reason for me creating this thread was, mainly, to find out what is the difference, in terms of longevity AND performance, between a grease from 30 years ago and a modern, special and expensive Gleitpaste.

Also, in my experience, an MB branded price is typically about twice the price of an aftermarket alternative that came out from the same factory, just with the star ground off. So, with a list price of $97, it's reasonable to assume that a generic version of Gleitpaste would be about $45. It could be more or less of course. Still, at $45, it indicates that this is NOT a typical lubricant

Not getting in this argument just making a clarification.

Your thinking of the Mercedes silikonpaste. Gleitpaste is a different grease and is not a silicone based product. Gleitpaste has a soap thickener and is actually klueber GLY 151.

The special oil they use is Krytox GPL105 and that is a PFPE oil.

klueber GLY 151: 1kg (2.2lb) is $212 or $108 per pound. About the same as Gleitpaste:

Gleitpaste is a different grease and is not a silicone based product. Gleitpaste has a soap thickener and is actually klueber GLY 151.

May I ask, how do you know that and is it 100% accurate? If you have any links to provide, of really appreciate it. Thanks

Not getting in this argument just making a clarification.

Your thinking of the Mercedes silikonpaste. Gleitpaste is a different grease and is not a silicone based product. Gleitpaste has a soap thickener and is actually klueber GLY 151.

The special oil they use is Krytox GPL105 and that is a PFPE oil.
No I was thinking of 3M Gleitpaste and looking at the ingredients on the SDS.

I still don't think it's necessary. Many of us have old vehicles with working wipers, that never saw a glob of gleitpaste in their life. Nylon gears aren't an exotic automotive solution so why would the grease need to be?

^ and in what application is the high price of this siliconE grease warranted?

Special goop is not needed for typical low speed, low stress applications. The size of the little gear and being nylon should be enough context.

klueber GLY 151: 1kg (2.2lb) is $212 or $108 per pound. About the same as Gleitpaste:

I'm not surprised at all klueber has never been accused of being cheap especially in the USA.
May I ask, how do you know that and is it 100% accurate? If you have any links to provide, of really appreciate it. Thanks
Well it was based on the MSDS a few years back. I went looking for that MSDS and instead what I found were 3 very different products called gleitpaste from Mercedes.

One was soap based, one a silicon, and one a tallow grease.

Part number 0019891451 appears to be the klueber grease it's actually been superceded by part number 0019894651 which is a silicon grease that I believe Dave9 is talking about.

The other one I can't even find for sale.

CSI has the MSDS if you want to look at them.

No I was thinking of 3M Gleitpaste and looking at the ingredients on the SDS.

I still don't think it's necessary. Many of us have old vehicles with working wipers, that never saw a glob of gleitpaste in their life. Nylon gears aren't an exotic automotive solution so why would the grease need to be?
Your right I didn't realize that gleitpaste had been superceded.

Pn 0019891451 looks to be the klueber grease Pn 0019894651 superceded that grease and is a silicon product appears to be the 3m p55. Confusingly they are both refered to as gleitpaste even though they are very different.

CSI has the Mercedes MSDS

Your right I didn't realize that gleitpaste had been superceded.

Pn 0019891451 looks to be the klueber grease Pn 0019894651 superceded that grease and is a silicon product appears to be the 3m p55. Confusingly they are both refered to as gleitpaste even though they are very different.

CSI has the Mercedes MSDS

That site isn't loading for me.

The SDS (attached) from https://gms.aftersales.daimler.com/SDS.aspx for A 001 989 46 51 has "Mineral oil, synthetic hydrocarbon oil, special lithium soap" under description, which is definitely not silicone and is consistent with how Kluber describes POLYLUB GLY 151.

Attachments

• 442625426_A0019894651_397.pdf
    23.5 KB · Views: 21
You're using the correct grease; don't second guess it.

I'm always skeptical when people recommend an alternative that is "good enough" while simultaneously providing nothing to support their claim.
While I tend to agree on the skepticism, I’m also skeptical if this product is indeed the right one for nylon gears. The MB sunroofs are known to be very sensitive to the right product... I know that one well... but what’s best for thst isn’t necessarily the same, especially since a sunroof is more of a sliding design challenge, versus meshing gears.

I don’t know what the design use range for that product is.

I also don’t know what, if anything, the Mercedes FSM would recommend for the OP’s job.

Id consider superlube as it talks and shows its broad compatibility list, and Id look at some of the Dow Molykote greases designed for plastics.

While I tend to agree on the skepticism, I’m also skeptical if this product is indeed the right one for nylon gears. The MB sunroofs are known to be very sensitive to the right product... I know that one well... but what’s best for thst isn’t necessarily the same, especially since a sunroof is more of a sliding design challenge, versus meshing gears.

I don’t know what the design use range for that product is.

I also don’t know what, if anything, the Mercedes FSM would recommend for the OP’s job.

Id consider superlube as it talks and shows its broad compatibility list, and Id look at some of the Dow Molykote greases designed for plastics.

So Kluber says that POLYLUB GLY 151 is approved per DBL 6827.60, then I found two references (attached) from Daimler designating that DBL 6827.60 is their approved products list and/or technical specification for A 001 989 46 51.

POLYLUB GLY 151 is recommended for lubricating plastic gears, so I'd say it's an appropriate product to use, especially since OP already has it on hand.

And that's likely how Daimler looked at it as well. If the original grease was discontinued they're not going to spend the money on extensive testing to find/qualify a new one. And regardless, they don't want to stock a million different greases for each specific wiper motor when they already have one that will work well enough

Attachments

• SB-10064763-2280.pdf
    625.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Toit-ouvrant-panoramique---nettoyage-et-lubrification-du-mecanisme-de-guidage-Type-251.pdf
    304.4 KB · Views: 8
  • KLUBER POLYLUB GLY 801.pdf
    97 KB · Views: 12
So Kluber says that POLYLUB GLY 151 is approved per DBL 6827.60, then I found two references (attached) from Daimler designating that DBL 6827.60 is their approved products list and/or technical specification for A 001 989 46 51.

POLYLUB GLY 151 is recommended for lubricating plastic gears, so I'd say it's an appropriate product to use, especially since OP already has it on hand.

And that's likely how Daimler looked at it as well. If the original grease was discontinued they're not going to spend the money on extensive testing to find/qualify a new one. And regardless, they don't want to stock a million different greases for each specific wiper motor when they already have one that will work well enough
Im glad you did all that research, thanks. As an owner of older MB cars, and probably in the market for one more at some point, this is good info.

Its helpful to know thst a grease intended by Daimler to be for sliding surfaces can also be applied suitably for gears, and plastic ones at that. I didn’t catch on in this thread how one application pointed to another with such difference in use, but it’s a good answer. I suspect Daimler bought the wiper motors from VDO, Bosch, or someone else back when, and that supplier determined the grease. But a good grease is a good grease.

Reactions: X15
Some years ago, i noticed that the wipers of my Honda had a hard time moving down at higher speeds.
I was looking for a grease to re-grease the bushings and found this, the best one i could find here.

Its i especially meant for metall-plastic and saltwaterproof. It is thin, NLGI1. It worked very well, the wiper was MUCH faster afterwards.
But i can not comment how well this grease perform over years, i sold the car 2 years later..

KLUBER is great stuff, but it is only sold to business customers here.

Back