Will BMW ever bring back European delivery?

I was able to do that when Porsche did that. A wonderful factory tour and the a parade of new car owners in their new vehicles around the countryside. That when a Porsche Coupe cost ~ $6,500. Ed

A recent article from BMW said they are not likely to bring it back. The biggest problem was that 10-12 years ago they had enough people ordering cars that it made sense to have a full-time crew just for customer delivery. The X3,X5, and one other model are made at the spartanburg NC plant. BMW lets you take delivery of any model at the USA factory.

They do have a full-time crew doing deliveries, just no longer to U.S. customers.

I highly doubt that Mercedes, Volvo, and Porsche, who also sell mostly SUVs, and/or in low volumes do appreciably more numbers than BMW did, yet their programs remain.

It's just a sign of a company that's now ruled more by the bottom line, and doesn't want to cater to its enthusiasts any longer, in many respects, including this one.

BMW has one of the largest, if not the largest, brand equities in the world. That is to say, the premium one pays for a BMW over a comparable generic car, times units sold. Bigger than Apple, Mercedes, etc.

Even if 1/100 of 1/% of their US buyers take European delivery, it's a good "halo" project to lend cred to all the soccer moms who buy white SUVs made in North Carolina.

I remember when this program started with all of them and it was implemented NOT for enthusiasts, but for those people that went to EU and rented cars. The take and truth was that...if you buy one of our cars these are the benefits..... and it proved true, they also included the shipping to your home country and paid for the airfare and hotel for 3 days. Actually the 1st to do something similar was the french Renault, where you could buy a new Renault and then sell it back to the factory for a set price instead of renting a car, it was decidedly light years ahead in cost and a very good deal (don't know if it is still active)
I’ve been leasing Renault’s for years. Yes, brand new car My name, my USA address. All insurance included. No VAT taxes. After my lease, I sign car back to them and they then sell it as a used car. I’ve done it six times. Never a problem.

I always said that I would not want to drive my own European Delivery car there but to each his own.

With Covid throughout Europe, don’t know if they are doing it but the address is;
Www. RenaultUSA.com

Hope they do. Did EU delivery with our 135. Unbelievable experience. Three weeks driving our car all over the EU, including Stelvio Pass. Don’t think I can buy a car any other way after experiencing that.

Back