Will blue gas kill Tesla?

This sounds remarkably similar to GreenPeace owned "ProWindGas" which claims to be a company doing exactly what you just noted, but using electrolysis. However, their offering is still 99% methane and has been for the last six years. :unsure:

The names of their offerings are... amusing. ProWindGas - Vegan and Vegan plus!

My buddy Chris runs a podcast and did an interview with another associate of ours on this topic, if you've got the time, it's an amusing listen:

It's a univeristy thing, don't think it's anything to do with greenpeace. The gas utilities are involved aswell.

I suppose it IS electrolysis, excep they use H2O from the air, not gas. I'm not sure if they will replace the natural gas completely, or will add hydrogen to the mix of gasses, in any event I think it's a better use of solar panels, no interference with electricity supplies.

Initially the Chevrolet Volt was to be a series hybrid as you describe. Engine driving generator driving battery driving electric motor. Was found to be embarrassingly inefficient, caused a year or more delay in getting to market while an extremely complex mechanical transmission was designed.

Never one to let physics to get in the way of engineering virtuosity, BMW did it anyway with the i3 REx. A small carbon fiber car which only gets 30 MPG and can not always hold its own at 70 MPH on gasoline power alone.

The use of small engines to be range extenders is legit. If you’re going to read into what I said with your own concept, using old tech cobbled by stupid laws, that’s on you. Battery technology, let along engine power and performance improvements have actually come a long way since the engineering was done on those two designs.

This really isn’t hard. An APU that allows a “more electric” design to be operated in case of no charge (charge it up), or to extend its actual range at ideal and truly optimized loading and SFC conditions.

I can get 60 MPG in my hah in the nice weather, 40 in the cold with heater going. Tesla can run EVs in cold weather. A little mix and match could get the best of both worlds, if arbitrary laws didn’t affect the classification and employment of the IC engine.

It's a univeristy thing, don't think it's anything to do with greenpeace. The gas utilities are involved aswell.

I suppose it IS electrolysis, excep they use H2O from the air, not gas. I'm not sure if they will replace the natural gas completely, or will add hydrogen to the mix of gasses, in any event I think it's a better use of solar panels, no interference with electricity supplies.

I'm just saying they sound similar, not that they are related. Did you listen to the podcast? Pretty amusing :)

Just had a listen. It's good that organisations like greenpeace and WWF exist and show us the other side of the medal at times, but it's good to remember they are in the end also corporations and have bills and salaries to pay, if not profits to make.

Billions upon billions are being invested by the OEMs in BEVs.

Governments are actively taking steps to phase out ICEs, clearly in favor of EVs, sooner rather than later. Millions are already on the road.

The existing infrastructure of energy generation and distribution network is well-entrenched, and makes almost every existing developed structure a potential refuelling location.

In the real world, the solutions that usually win are driven by economics, and while science experiments are neat, even when they work, they are not always scaleable, nor ecomomicaly practical.

I'm not going to betting against Tesla (which is not the only EV maker), nor the rest of the industry, based just on inertia alone.

Billions upon billions are being invested by the OEMs in BEVs.

Governments are actively taking steps to phase out ICEs, clearly in favor of EVs, sooner rather than later. Millions are already on the road.

The existing infrastructure of energy generation and distribution network is well-entrenched, and makes almost every existing developed structure a potential refuelling location.

In the real world, the solutions that usually win are driven by economics, and while science experiments are neat, even when they work, they are not always scaleable, nor ecomomicaly practical.

I'm not going to betting against Tesla (which is not the only EV maker), nor the rest of the industry, based just on inertia alone.
I like the “ millions on the road” statement. It actually 4 million as of 2019 and it’s experiencing exponential growth. The problem is that the 4 million represents the number in the world and not just the USA. Want to take a guess at the number of passenger cars in the world? It’s one billion. The total number of E cars is 0.4 % of the world total. The high growth rate is due to heavy subsidization in Europe and China, and of course wealthy folks are jumping on the band wagon in the USA. There will be heavy use of taxpayer money continuing to grow the numbers in the USA complicated with a four year election cycle. Let’s revisit this when 10 percent of the cars are electric, which is 100 million cars, not just 4 million.

I like the “ millions on the road” statement. It actually 4 million as of 2019 and it’s experiencing exponential growth. The problem is that the 4 million represents the number in the world and not just the USA. Want to take a guess at the number of passenger cars in the world? It’s one billion. The total number of E cars is 0.4 % of the world total. The high growth rate is due to heavy subsidization in Europe and China, and of course wealthy folks are jumping on the band wagon in the USA. There will be heavy use of taxpayer money continuing to grow the numbers in the USA complicated with a four year election cycle. Let’s revisit this when 10 percent of the cars are electric, which is 100 million cars, not just 4 million.

And of those, how many of those are powered by H, and how many refuelling stations are there in comparison to EVs?

By that metric, H has a long way to go to merely match, never mind "killing" Tesla and the rest, which is the scenario raised by the story.

Toyota is the lone large OEM being stubborn about EVs, and still clings with the Mirai. Even BMW, which has been experimenting with H forever, has put its bet on BEVs.

The momentun is clearly with one, and not the other, regardless of the impetus behind it.

Actually, I don't believe that BEVs are the universal solution, and will not dominate the market like petro vehicles have, leaving room for larger niches. But, they will be the dominant one.

Back