Will a 2013 Honda Civic with 1.8 Liter engine run OK on E15 gasoline?

Nissan helpfully states:

"If any drivability problems such as engine stalling and hard hot starting are experienced after using oxygenate-blend fuels, immediately change to a non-oxygenate fuel or a fuel with a low blend of MTBE"

Right on, I'll just drive 20 miles to the nearest place that sells ethanol free gas. Yep.

On the same page as that, they also state:

"NISSAN does not recommend the use of any fuel additives (ie, fuel injector cleaner, octane booster, intake valve deposit cleaners, etc) which are sold commercially"

Alright then.

I guess using Chevron Techron on this NISSAN will destroy it as badly as using E15.
I have used Techron in my 2015 Altima(as per dosage directions) with fine success.

I have a 2012 Honda Civic 1.8 and will not use E15. I have researched this and do not feel comfortable using a fuel with more than 10% alcohol. The cost savings is so minimal and the amount of damage that could occur in the long run is not worth the risk IMO.

^^^As you shouldn't. Companies who have not tested their engines using E15 which is why it isn't recommended to do so. Honda must be one of them. Maybe they're in the process of doing testing, IDK but since they don't recommend it, don't do it!

My ALTIMA in my signature is not on the list and even recommends against using E15 however the newest generation is on the list.

Just remember the majority of the vehicle that allow for e15 are also the same ones on the government nipple for a bailout. Unless it allows E85 flex fuel don't fool around trying to pinch a nickel to spend a grand or more. We don't put e15 in our boats or generators so why would we in cars

"NISSAN does not recommend the use of any fuel additives (ie, fuel injector cleaner, octane booster, intake valve deposit cleaners, etc) which are sold commercially"

I guess using Chevron Techron on this NISSAN will destroy it as badly as using E15.
Nissan isn't saying or implying any such thing. They simply don't recommend it, i.e. they're saying it's not necessary, won't help, etc, etc. It doesn't say "it will cause damage".
Will the E15 nozzle fit in the gas filler on the Honda?
Do you guys see different nozzles for E10, E15, etc ? At least in Ohio, this is just "regular" fuel, i.e. not diesel, so the nozzles are all the same. Only difference is a sticker on the pump that says it may contain up to 10% or 15% ethanol (I don't know that I've ever seen 15%, to be honest).

Nissan isn't saying or implying any such thing. They simply don't recommend it, i.e. they're saying it's not necessary, won't help, etc, etc. It doesn't say "it will cause damage".

They go on further to say,

"Many of these additives intended for gum, varnish or deposit removal may contain active solvents or similar ingredients that can be harmful to the fuel system and engine"

So yes, they are saying that fuel additives can cause damage.

EDIT: I do find it interesting that the same company that says all this about fuel additives can't be bothered to tell you anything more about the recommended engine coolant than "50/50 water and ethylene glycol". Even in the shop manual that's what it says. No specification, no part number, just that.

E10 and E85 are the most widely-available ethanol blends for quite a while now. So when a manufacturer says "Don't use fuel with more than 10% ethanol," aren't they essentially saying "Don't fill up with E85"? Seems that way to me.
Any vehicle built since 2005 will run fine on E15 although it's possible the fuel economy may be a tiny bit lower compared to E10... I hear E15 will have higher octane by 1 point (88 vs 87) so we will see how the fuel economy thing plays out. Many vehicles built since 1995 are designed to handle ethanol blends. Research your specific year/make/model.

E10 and E85 are vastly different fuel types and most vehicles can only use one (E10). E85 can only be used in vehicles that are "Flex Fuel" or whatever naming scheme the automaker uses.

I agree with this. If the fuel system is so marginal that E10 is okay but E15 will cause damage, it’s a poorly designed system that should have never been put into production.
But yet, there it is, so quite possibly the best results will be obtained by following the manufacturer's recommendations. It could be a well-designed system for its designed parameters.

It's like an engine designed to run on 93 octane and you want to run it on 87 octane. Is the engine design such that it never should have been put into production? 87 octane may cause damage to the engine, and running it on 87 octane is abusive.

Or you buy an expensive pickup that is designed to tow 8,500-lbs. Is the design a POS because you want to tow 10,000-lbs. No, it's fine for what it was designed for, what you want to do is called abuse.

Last edited:
Just use regular gas w ten percent of crap alcohol. Thats bad enough.

Where did you think normal gas is going away ?? Really

Back