Will 5-30 reduce leak more than 5-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey that has developed a slight leak. I have always ran 5W 20 but my oriole change intervals have been too long. Anyway now I have switched to a high mileage oil 5W 20 and it has helped. I am considering trying max life 5W-30 in the same application. My question is do you think 5W-30 will help slow any leaks more so then 5W 20? Or is it really just too close to matter?

Where is it leaking from?

Grab a can of brake cleaner and spray all around the oil pan, valve covers etc. and check for where the leak is coming from. It could be a simple valve cover gasket or oil pressure sensor.

I doubt the same brand of 5W-30 vs 5W-20 would make a difference... If it did likely is the seal conditioners working their magic and if given time, the lighter oil would have done same..

Originally Posted By: Jake777
I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey that has developed a slight leak. I have always ran 5W 20 but my oriole change intervals have been too long. Anyway now I have switched to a high mileage oil 5W 20 and it has helped. I am considering trying max life 5W-30 in the same application. My question is do you think 5W-30 will help slow any leaks more so then 5W 20? Or is it really just too close to matter?

5W30 won't make any difference.

How long have you been running the ML? You may not notice a reduction in the leak right away.

You might be better off identifying where the leak is coming from and fixing the leak.

Switching from a 5w-30 to a 5w-40 Penrite Semi-Syn oils did nothing for my oil weep. When I switched to Shell Helix 5w-30 HX8 oil the weep dried up completely and so did the oil consumption from 0.75L to less than 0.2L. It has remained like this for last 15 months.

Vehicle 1985 holden commodore with the Buick v6 3800 engine.

its leaking from around the Rear Main just a bit and also the oil pump area below the timing cover. its about 1-2 drops per night from what I can tell. I have been using PHM for the past 3 months and it did slow it down from where it was. I have a overstock of Maxlife 5w30 I was planning on using this next change in a week or so. The repair is expensive so I just put a bit of cardboard down in the garage where its parked for now.

Originally Posted By: Jake777
its leaking from around the Rear Main just a bit and also the oil pump area below the timing cover. its about 1-2 drops per night from what I can tell. I have been using PHM for the past 3 months and it did slow it down from where it was. I have a overstock of Maxlife 5w30 I was planning on using this next change in a week or so. The repair is expensive so I just put a bit of cardboard down in the garage where its parked for now.

I had a similar issue in our 2003 Corolla, so I went straight from QSGB to ML and the leak slowed within a few hundred miles. Now it's completely gone and I also have since switched to Mobil HM 5W20. The leak has not come back since I first switched to HM.

If it's an expensive fix, I would keep a close eye on the leak and monitor the oil level. Switch over to ML when it's time, and see how it works. If no change, then you might have to fix the leak itself. High mileage oils are great for conditioning the seals before they start to deteriorate and leak. When they are leaking already, it's hit-and-miss.

The 5W-30 MaxLife year-around will make a slight difference.

Suggest you consider adding ATP-205 Resealer to swell the engine seals more quickly. This stuff is supposed to have the main ingredients (that all oil manufactures use) which enhance the sealing ability of gaskets and plastics.

Just recently, switching from 5w20 to 10w30 (by my advise) stopped a minor leak completely in my friend's Odyssey.

Not sure which 10w30 did he buy exactly... but I am pretty sure it's not High Mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back