Widows Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Subdued

It's easy to knock Microsoft, but...

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability...nux-Kernel.html

Anything produced by humans is open to compromise. Let's not pretend this is a Microsoft-only problem.

Great post, they just happen to be the biggest target. Open some of these Linux distros up and they probably have more holes than we can imagine.

Anything produced by humans is open to compromise. Let's not pretend this is a Microsoft-only problem.

Now, but a DDOS exploit is a heck of a lot more easy to do (and less problematic) than a ransomware attack or other malware.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Great post, they just happen to be the biggest target. Open some of these Linux distros up and they probably have more holes than we can imagine.

And when those vulnerabilities are found, they are disclosed immediately and immediately a whole lot of eyes are on the offending code to get it patched; and that patch is sent out to everyone ASAP. This way of honest and open operation is in stark contrast to closed-source software.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Not really. Millions of people are sifting through Linux kernel code worldwide daily. Holes get found and patched in linux faster than every other OS out there.

The vast majority of servers out there run Linux. Google is completely linux. Most of Microsoft's own servers are on Linux these days (I know their cloud is all on linux). All these massive servers with corporate clients and cloud storage is where all the good stuff is stored that hackers want. There are more hackers attacking Linux every day than Microsoft, period.

If Linux was even remotely close to the vulnerability of Microsoft, this would not be the case. Everyone with data security priorities trusts Linux first and foremost.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Holes get found and patched in linux faster than every other OS out there.

Exactly! And the reason for that is because when the source code is open, there is no gain for anyone in guarded secrecy.

Maybe barely decent. I wouldn't run Windows Essential/Defender because of an issue of it letting malware through a few years ago. I've read that Windows has worked to improve it and they're (amongst the lowest) ratings in testing goes up in their own tests in what they deem to be real world malware that actually more widely infest Windows based on their experience with the malicious software removal tool that deploys during major updates. They still admit that AV like Panda or Bitdefender are better overall...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Eddie
WTHDTM?

I assume this is a reference to my post.

Simply put, it is produced by Microsoft.

They cannot produce an operating system that protects itself from compromise; why could their free add-on product do it?

Because they get targeted more because almost everyone uses Windows based systems, especially in commercial applications. So of course the purveyors of malware are going to follow and target the money...

Microsoft's firewall is well thought of even if Defender isn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back