Why You Only Hand Tighten an Oil Filter

341646251_769205564764266_2221845262106164769_n.jpg

Some automakers have torque specs. Others don't.

I use my torque wrench.

That s2000 torque spec can be used by any/all common canister filters.

12ftlbs/Kia/Hyundai
13ftlbs/Toyota
15-18ftlbs---s2000(?)

The whole 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn, 7/8, 1 full turn... is a cop out. Pure laziness on the automakers that don't list torques for oil filters. Even more sad when an engine is used by multiple vehicles in multiple markets and lists a torque for some and 3/4 turn after contact for others... on the SAME engine.

I've never had a difficult to remove filter.

Im sure designs vary from one car to another but for my cars the squish height of the gasket and the thread pitch of the filters works out to where the filter base is making metal to metal contact with the engine block at 1 turn past initial gasket contact. Tightening beyond that it is stretching metal somewhere rather than compressing gasket.

Before installing the oil filter, lubing the gasket with oil or atf, then hand tighten. But in my oil age I not very strong any more so I hand tighten and then give it a touch more with the wrench. Never wrench hard enough to bend the canister, if you use the wrench for installing.

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got room to swing.

I mark my filters' domes and do the 3/4 turn they ask.
I just did my oil and I needed the oil filter wrench for just a nudge (1/8 turn?) to free the filter.....perfect.
Would a three prong oil filter wrench work?

Back