Why to RV, marine, small engine batteries have such poor warranties?

Need a battery for a Honda Insight that uses a size 51. Couldn't find a used one and not spending $100+for a new battery for what is basically a running parts car. It's fairly common for owners to use a U1 riding mower battery in this car. Walmart has them for $30 but why is the warranty only 3 months compared to a year for their cheapest car batteries? https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...attery-Group-Size-U1-12-Volt-230-CCA/21984263 And do these require a core? Don't see that mentioned anywhere.

9bdb25ca-4135-448d-b97a-670eb03f3deb.a6e6f122ab986b06a249ed48742447f9.jpeg

Lawn tractors have terrible vibration and sketchy charging systems.

Plus that warranty is all they need to sell batteries, probably because it's all the competition offers as well.

There is a core fee. I remember, not too long ago, when those batteries were $15-20. My wife used one and an inverter to allow her laptop to run eight hours in the field collecting data. She charged it to the project and I got to keep it after.

I would also think part of the reason is the lack of sophistication in the charging circuits many small OPE engines use relative to charging systems used in vehicles since alternators became standard in the 1960s.

Lawn tractors have terrible vibration and sketchy charging systems.
Yes they're murder on batteries.

Also many users don't bother to charge or jump the battery should it self-discharge during off season storage, so they're going call it a bad battery if it doesn't start in the spring. Offering a warranty of more than 1 year would mean giving away a lot of replacement batteries.

The U1 battery in my riding mower has been working since 2017. I do keep it on a charger when not in use. And my riding mower didn't include the optional voltage regulator, so I added it.

Lawn tractors tend to eat batteries with harsh operating conditions, poor charging systems, and just overall lack of maintenance when put away for periods of time. Put it all together, and you get short warranties.

Core fee may depend on the state, but yes, there is one in Minnesota.

Also many users don't bother to charge or jump the battery should it self-discharge during off season storage, so they're going call it a bad battery if it doesn't start in the spring. Offering a warranty of more than 1 year would mean giving away a lot of replacement batteries.
This is the right answer.

My Dads 1968 Sears Suburban riding mower would get 3 years out of a battery for decades then one year use until we sold it. At this point in time my Gravely 432 would get five years from a used car battery. It seem to me the quality of batteries has declined.

Picked one up today identical to that picture except 300 CCA for the same price plus $12 core charge. Wonder if I can use a smaller dead Verizon backup battery as a core?

Back