Why the Different Crossing Pattern When Rotating Tires

Mercedes is kind of a laugh for me. For all their "engineering excellence" they sure put out a lot of stuff that "requires" $250 oil changes with oil that has just the right ratio of unicorn hoof shavings to pixie tears, or the engine will explode before the rest of the vehicle has a chance to self-detonate on schedule.

If all 4 wheels are the same size, and not directional, then I have to wonder what are they smoking?

If they really cared about longevity of their cars, they wouldn't be putting out such shoddy stuff that fails all the time and costs a fortune to fix.

PS, my brother keeps buying Mercedes cars and complains about not having any extra money to spend on other stuff. Their older models could go for a million miles with used shampoo in the crankcase. Shame what they have become of late.

For sure. For some, an expensive item is more desirable simply because it's expensive which is interesting psychology. Service is more expensive too which is part and parcel. But: the W212 model with the M276 motor has been really solid! We got a CPO and dodged the crazy depreciation. I've been able to do all the maintenance myself, which has been minimal. Mercedes is a little hyped, but I do think they can engineer cars that perform at a higher level than most ... when they're not broken of course!

Last edited:
IIRC VW has a front to back rotation recommendation with no cross rotation - would have to go pull the owners manual to confirm. Last rotation on my E-Golf they did front to back as some curb rash on one of the rear wheels just moved forward, Jetta has curb rash on one of the wheels and I believe it just moved to different axle on same side last service.

I believe VW at one time sold vehicles with directional tires (maybe specific GTI/GLI or R series) so might just be a blanket recommendation so as to not have improper rotations on a few specific vehicles.

only front to back on my giulietta too, according to owners manual. I believe the reason is directional tyres aswell, although they all left the factory with assymetrical

Toyota calls for a non-crossing front to back, back to front rotation for my RAV4h. Part of me wonders if they do that as a safeguard in case the owner puts on directional tires in the future.

I try not to over think it much, and just cross rotate whenever I can unless directional, or staggered.
Oh come on! You don't want to over analyze this to death and talk about the various means and methods that could be used in order to achieve maximum "up-time" and lowest total cost of ownership and best ownership experience?

There is a very simple reason for this. The two drive tires will wear more on the leading edge of the tread blocks. If you cross the two drive tires they will be noisy when you rotate them. That is why you move them to the other axle without changing direction. Then that leading edge wear can even out of the non drive axle. Once it has evened out on the non drive axle, you can cross them to the drive wheels so they rotate in the opposite direction and further even out wear. Always rotate them on the same side and the leading edge will get worn and will become noisy, that is why directional tires always have very small leading edge tread blocks.

Oh come on! You don't want to over analyze this to death and talk about the various means and methods that could be used in order to achieve maximum "up-time" and lowest total cost of ownership and best ownership experience?
I guess I don't know. After 50 years of car ownership, I have always tried to wear out 4 tires at the same time, and always replace 4 at a time. Oh come on!!! Or we could go on in BITOG manner and go on and on about the cheapest possible way to keep a car on the road that should be in the salvage yard...

There is a very simple reason for this. The two drive tires will wear more on the leading edge of the tread blocks. If you cross the two drive tires they will be noisy when you rotate them. That is why you move them to the other axle without changing direction. Then that leading edge wear can even out of the non drive axle. Once it has evened out on the non drive axle, you can cross them to the drive wheels so they rotate in the opposite direction and further even out wear. Always rotate them on the same side and the leading edge will get worn and will become noisy, that is why directional tires always have very small leading edge tread blocks.

shopping

Don't see the small leading edges

Toyota’s recommendation on our 2021 4Runner is for a straight front-to-back rotation - no crossing.

If you have the Limited, with the 20” tires, they suggest rotating the spare, also. Maybe this is because the 20” tires wear faster than a standard 17”?
E677B025-41C9-404E-A6A8-A536840A20D2.jpg

I always do front to back because that’s what I like and some vehicles call for that. I can’t stand crossing that is why I do one side at a time to make sure I don’t put a tire in the wrong spot.

Toyota’s recommendation on our 2021 4Runner is for a straight front-to-back rotation - no crossing.

If you have the Limited, with the 20” tires, they suggest rotating the spare, also. Maybe this is because the 20” tires wear faster than a standard 17”?
View attachment 45887

What kind of AWD is this? I'm guessing on demand? It will be to keep the spare tyre as close in size to the other tyres to avoid the AWD system lunching itself

I never rotate my tires other than driving on them. I will put a front tire on the rear, if I get a nail in it and it has been plugged. All my tires wear at the same rate, so no point in rotating them. If you hit a curb with one tire and knock a hole in that tire, and the rest of your tires are at half life, How many tires do you replace?.,,,

What kind of AWD is this? I'm guessing on demand? It will be to keep the spare tyre as close in size to the other tyres to avoid the AWD system lunching itself
Ours is 2WD, but there are 2 different 4WD systems available on the 4Runner - a full-time system (Limited) and a part-time system (all other models).

Last edited:
Crossing definitely helps on my truck with 35” off road tires. It’s been a personal experiment over the years. Front and rear (unfortunately) end has been completely rebuilt, and alignment checked often as I have “lifetime alignment agreement”. With any kind of aggressive tread the lugs or whatever you want to call them are very large and wear at an angle. I’m guessing just from the size and the angle of approach as they rotate. Crossing, reverses the rotation of the tire and evens out the wear maintaining a smooth ride. Before I figured this out and only did F to R rotation the last 40-50% of the tires the read was terrible. Felt like backhoe tires.
Check out trucks and Jeeps with off-road tires with large lug style. Many of them have the wear I am describing from not cross rotating.

Back