why so much hate on castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do find it amusing that some of those who bash Castrol for changing the definition of synthetic, saying that going with grp III basestock cheapens the product, still hold up Mobil 1 as a top tier SYNTHETIC oil, even though XM started adding significant amounts of GRP III as well. You can't have it both ways. If GRP III is OK for XM to use, then IT'S OK FOR OTHER OILS SUCH AS CASTROL!

GRP III oils give excellent results. That should be all that matters.

Originally Posted By: tig1
It's amazing how a Castrol thread can turn into a M1 bash. You guys that think todays M1 is a lesser oil have never seen any evidence in engine failures or engines expiring sooner than they should. I have many friends and family that have put 200-400K on engines with M1 oils since 2000 and their engines still are very clean and are still running great with 10-20K OCIs.

As for Castrol I believe their oil is fine, but their adds are juvenile.

M1 Oils = M1 EP? EP is a great product and I wouldn't question EP

When you combine dumbed down advertising with sparse published product data, many oil enthusiasts show little respect for the stuff. Even favorable real world results (good UOAs, clean high mileage engines, etc.) don’t seem to make up for that at BITOG. But Castrol is doing alright anyway, perhaps because the typical BITOG member doesn’t represent the average oil consumer.

finalyzd - When you set up a 'straw man', it is easy to knock it down.
So saying an oil is hated because it is not worth it's high price is also overstating the case.

We should thank Castrol for their part in the "GroupIII is a synthetic" fiasco as we now have many many really good groupIII products to choose from, all perform as good or better then syntec, and all are much cheaper as well :)

I think Castrol GTX is one of the if not THE best over the counter dino oil there is. I think M1 makes excellent oils. Though I do agree with some here that their 5w30 is not as good as the rest of their line and I won't speculate why that is, but it seems obvious to me. I also think Castrol's Syntec (minus GC of course) is a subpar product.

I also love Edge. Have it in my wifes SUV, of which I just had a run of M1 0w30 which did a fantastic job. So I guess I'm an oddity that really likes both companies and think they both make great products and poor products. lol Like I said in the Fram thread, who is another company who makes some great products (XG, TG) and some bad products (OC). I'm seeing a pattern here. One that is pretty common in almost any industry. Companies make some high end product and low end products. It's up to the consumer to educate themselves on which is which.

This whole: M1, FRAM, CASTROL SUCKS! is just childish. They all have some very good products and they all have their subpar ones too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I will say I "DETEST" the Edge ad's with that foolish Jimmy and dipstick [censored]. I refuse to buy Edge for that reason.

Yep! Me too! I would still like to punch that clown Jimmy in the mouth!
07.gif

I like two castrol products "German Castrol" 0W-30 and TranSynd which is the best ATF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shpankey
I think Castrol GTX is one of the if not THE best over the counter dino oil there is. I think M1 makes excellent oils. Though I do agree with some here that their 5w30 is not as good as the rest of their line and I won't speculate why that is, but it seems obvious to me. I also think Castrol's Syntec (minus GC of course) is a subpar product.

I also love Edge. Have it in my wifes SUV, of which I just had a run of M1 0w30 which did a fantastic job. So I guess I'm an oddity that really likes both companies and think they both make great products and poor products. lol Like I said in the Fram thread, who is another company who makes some great products (XG, TG) and some bad products (OC). I'm seeing a pattern here. One that is pretty common in almost any industry.

Companies make some high end product and low end products. It's up to the consumer to educate themselves on which is which.

I absolutely agree with you.

There can be Excellence sitting right next to Mediocrity while both are carrying the same brand name.

At SYMS an educated consumer is our best friend.

In my opinion of descending excellence. For U.S. non-boutique synthetics.

- Mobil 1 0w-40
- Castrol Syntec 0w-30
-------------------------------------
- Pennzoil Platinum 5w-40
- Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40
- Pennzoil Ultra 10w-60
- Castrol Syntec 5w-40
- Castrol Syntec 5w-50(probably)
- Mobil 1 0w-20
- Mobil 1 0w-30
- Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20
- Mobil 1 EP entire line
- Castrol Edge entire line
This class of synthetics are still excellent if purchased on sale. I'd say the Mobil 1's might be the best of the lot but it doesn't matter much. None of them are that much better than Motorcraft Semi-Syn. If you have a Corvette or a Turbo Honda/Acura then a couple of these are better than Motorcraft for your app.

This is the group that is purchased most often. These are the money makers. When the Corporate executives are sitting around the boardroom talking shop...this is where they break into laughter and high-fives. "Can you believe we put the Brooklyn Bridge in a bottle!!!!" "Nothing offers you better protection...or us greater margins!" "And we thought Castrol screwed us!" "We're hitting a home run on the molecular level...it's hydrocrap and we guarantee it!"

- Mobil 1 5w-20 and 30
- Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and 30
- Valvoline Synpower 5w-20 and 30
- Castrol Syntec 5w-20 and 30
- Kendal, Supertech, Who Cares and everything else

I know I left out the 10w-30's. Somebody put them in the proper place for me. I'm too busy laughing to type any longer...

Castrol dino is too expensive, thats not even getting into their synthetics, although I would use GC on a car that could needed it.

You can ALMOST walk into Walmart, and get 5 quarts of Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, or Valvoline Synpower in a 5 quart jug for almost the price that buying 5 quart containers of Castrol Dino would cost you........

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I will say I "DETEST" the Edge ad's with that foolish Jimmy and dipstick [censored]. I refuse to buy Edge for that reason.

07.gif

Then you guys are depriving yourselves of a really good oil.

Shame.

Originally Posted By: 38sho
...You can ALMOST walk into Walmart, and get 5 quarts of Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, or Valvoline Synpower in a 5 quart jug for almost the price that buying 5 quart containers of Castrol Dino would cost you........

No you can't. GTX is $14 and M1 is $23...

Edit- Oh, you said 5 quart containers of GTX. Why would you buy 5 individual quarts when you can buy a 5 quart jug for $14?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sl1driver
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

07.gif

Then you guys are depriving yourselves of a really good oil.

Shame.

I guess you are right. I'll just have to "settle" for MaxLife and Synpower! Poor me!
19.gif

It isn't disdain for Castrol.
Rather, it is the premium retail pricing of products that are of mainstream quality.
There are some gems among the ruble.
There have been some nice UOAs of Edge here and many (including me) really like GC.
GTX is probably overpriced, but it seems to give solid results in actual use.
The US made Syntec has also shown good results in the few UOAs posted here. It is also a thin oil, as is Edge, for those who have applications that can benefit from less viscosity.
Overall, Castrol products tend to be overpriced, but they are solid oils.
Maybe if BP got more involved in MIR or BOGO promotions, more people would use and like the oil.
There are promotions every year on XOM, Valvoline and SOPUS oils. Castrol promotions are rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back