Why so many bad CVT trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why is there so many bad CVT transmissions sold to the public? and ill not even talk about fords duel clutch mistake.

Originally Posted by red7404
why is there so many bad CVT transmissions sold to the public? and ill not even talk about fords duel clutch mistake.
Yeah those Ford Dual Clutch CVTs are the worst
lol.gif

Lots of Stealership money in maintenance and it helps cars wear out before their time. There is no reason to have an automatic transmission that is maintained correctly to last less than 300K.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by red7404
Yeah those Ford Dual Clutch CVTs are the worst
lol.gif

Especially them duel ones.
23.gif

Thing is that over in Europe, and in the ROW Ford was using a "wet clutch" DCT which had NO issues whatsoever. The reason Dearborn specified a
"DRY clutch" version of the DCT was because it was slightly cheaper....and it also was almost an issue on every car that came with it. Seems to me like
if Ford Cologne designed a car, they shouldn't let Ford Dearborn mess with it.

That being said a good quality traditional geared slushbox will last for 300,000 miles they are a proved design and the good ones are almost impossible to kill.

OTOH the CVT is not proven and many of them wear out under 100k even if not abused. They are NOT a proven design, unless you are putting them in a golf cart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Thing is that over in Europe, and in the ROW Ford was using a "wet clutch" DCT which had NO issues whatsoever. The reason Dearborn specified a
"DRY clutch" version of the DCT was because it was slightly cheaper....and it also was almost an issue on every car that came with it. Seems to me like
if Ford Cologne designed a car, they shouldn't let Ford Dearborn mess with it.

That being said a good quality traditional geared slushbox will last for 300,000 miles they are a proved design and the good ones are almost impossible to kill.

OTOH the CVT is not proven and many of them wear out under 100k even if not abused. They are NOT a proven design, unless you are putting them in a golf cart.

Toyota has been using CVTs in their hybrids for over a decade now and not only have they had no significant issues, the Prius one of the, if not the most reliable car you can buy and has been it's entire existence. This is despite the Prius getting heavy use as a fleet car in cities and racking up god even knows how many miles.

CVTs can be fine if they're not designed by idiots.

Before you counter with the low power argument, I will also point out Toyota CVTs have been used in huge V8 Lexus limos with over 400hp and still have no significant problems.

Last edited:
Like any new technology, there will be a transition period where they are less reliable than the previous iteration of the technology. As the problems are ironed out, they'll become more and more reliable.

Anecdotally, my mother has a 2010 Sentra with the CVT, and it is quite happy at 250,000km with only one fluid change from the dealer. I can only imagine that with her incredibly gentle driving habits it has been the ideal situation for CVT lifespan.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Toyota has been using CVTs in their hybrids for over a decade now and not only have they had no significant issues, the Prius one of the, if not the most reliable car you can buy and has been it's entire existence. This is despite the Prius getting heavy use as a fleet car in cities and racking up god even knows how many miles.

Before you counter with the low power argument, I will also point out Toyota CVTs have been used in huge, stretched Lexus limos with over 400hp and still have no significant problems.

At least in the early Prius's the trans was not a CVT. By summing engine speed with electric motor speed they could vary the speed of the car and motors. I think recently they added a speed, but those early ones were not a CVT in this sense.

Originally Posted by supton

Before you counter with the low power argument, I will also point out Toyota CVTs have been used in huge, stretched Lexus limos with over 400hp and still have no significant problems.

At least in the early Prius's the trans was not a CVT. By summing engine speed with electric motor speed they could vary the speed of the car and motors. I think recently they added a speed, but those early ones were not a CVT in this sense.

Even in the first Prius it was a planetary gearbox, however Toyota calls it a CVT and always has. It's different from most, but it's still a CVT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
No idea what bad means? Unreliable? poorly executed ?

The CVT is an inherently flawed design when used in heavier vehicles, that's why Toyota and others have had to make lots of changes. The only vehicles they seem suited to with expectations of 100k durability are fairly light weight in nature.

It's pretty clear to me that the manufacturers are determined to not give you a choice of power trains in the future by making the CVT the only choice of transmission.

You can see this same arrogance with the EV.

A very interesting thing I have noticed in some well known car forums is that if you disagree with EVs being viable or popular they will BAN your account major
censorship is occurring.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by madRiver
No idea what bad means? Unreliable? poorly executed ?

The CVT is an inherently flawed design when used in heavier vehicles, that's why Toyota and others have had to make lots of changes. The only vehicles they seem suited to with expectations of 100k durability are fairly light weight in nature.

It's pretty clear to me that the manufacturers are determined to not give you a choice of power trains in the future by making the CVT the only choice of transmission.

You can see this same arrogance with the EV.

A very interesting thing I have noticed in some well known car forums is that if you disagree with EVs being viable or popular they will BAN your account major
censorship is occurring.

Lexus has put it in vehicles weighing well over 5000 pounds with 400HP and AWD with no trouble. The Lexus LS, hybrid or no, is SIGNIFICANTLY more reliable than any comparable luxury sedan equipped with any other transmission.

For such a flawed design, it's amazing that Toyota can make it considerably more reliable than anything the Germans have ever done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton

Even in the first Prius it was a planetary gearbox, however Toyota calls it a CVT and always has. It's different from most, but it's still a CVT.

You have to understand that the planetary gear set found in Prius and Ford Hybrids only operates as a CVT, but it's operations requires two electric motors. It's not even a transmission in a traditional sense. It simply behaves as a CVT but it is definitely not the same as CVTs found in gas only vehicles and should never be compared to them.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Got 286,000 miles on original cvt transmission from Honda rocking Castrol Transmax or Redline CVT Fluid. Changing every 20-30k.

It would be awesome if your Civic can catch my Accord. I'm still on my original 5AT in my Accord as well with yearly changes using Honda Z-1 (and now DW-1) (every 50-60k). I actually thought about getting a very low mileage '15 Civic a year ago or so before I bought my Camaro. I was a bit leery about that CVT, especially with the recall/reprogramming they did. I've thought of switching to Amsoil ATF in my Accord as I used to use it in my old Integra for about 8 years, but with the success this car has had, I've seen no reason to switch.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
You have to understand that the planetary gear set found in Prius and Ford Hybrids only operates as a CVT, but it's operations requires two electric motors. It's not even a transmission in a traditional sense. It simply behaves as a CVT but it is definitely not the same as CVTs found in gas only vehicles and should never be compared to them.

Bingo...

Outside of some certain Jatco models used in Nissans.......I haven't seen any CVT failures.

While I don't like them, There is no need to mindlessly bash them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back