Why so few hatchbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've carried all the material to remodel my ~1900 sq ft home in my hatchback.

The other week I carried a 10 ft long, 8'in diameter PVC and two 10 ft long 6'in diameter PVC pipes to do sewer work. I've moved 180 large bricks to build two planter boxes. I moved all the material to make a 6 foot tall, 75-foot long wood fence.

I simply fold down the seats, and throw an old blanket across the rear.

You cannot beat a hatchback!

Last edited:
Now try rebuilding a brick walkway with it...3700lbs of blocks, and a 5-ton Bobcat!

If I still owned a house, I would still own a HD pickup.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Now try rebuilding a brick walkway with it...3700lbs of blocks, and a 5-ton Bobcat!

Did you need to rebuild your house once a year or something?
I don't remember how many skids of bricks went into my parents driveway, but they were delivered for free...
Heck, most of my house was delivered for free. I did bring home a pair of 20' culverts behind my car, and a couple 10' tall stacks of insulation, and the kitchen cupboards...
I've got access to a pickup whenever I want, but I find its quite rare that I need to use it.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I don't remember how many skids of bricks went into my parents driveway, but they were delivered for free...
Heck, most of my house was delivered for free. I did bring home a pair of 20' culverts behind my car, and a couple 10' tall stacks of insulation, and the kitchen cupboards...
I've got access to a pickup whenever I want, but I find its quite rare that I need to use it.

This!!

My last truck, which I traded in on my current car, was used more by my friends, family, and neighbors than by anything I was actually doing. However, I did trailer my motorcycles quite a bit with it. It just seemed that all the "cool things" I could do with my truck never really happened. Other people seemed to get the best value out of it by me actually owning it. After that I put owning a truck up there with a pool and a boat. It's better to have friends with those than to actually own them yourself. This is of course just my opinion and for my situation only. Other people have other needs for sure.

Ua9cbsY.jpg

Originally Posted By: geekster
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

This!!

My last truck, which I traded in on my current car, was used more by my friends, family, and neighbors than by anything I was actually doing. However, I did trailer my motorcycles quite a bit with it. It just seemed that all the "cool things" I could do with my truck never really happened. Other people seemed to get the best value out of it by me actually owning it. After that I put owning a truck up there with a pool and a boat. It's better to have friends with those than to actually own them yourself. This is of course just my opinion and for my situation only. Other people have other needs for sure.

Having the blocks delivered would have cost me about $1000...because it would have required widening the driveway. Having the Bobcat delivered would have almost doubled the cost of the rental, AND required me to either take a day off work or pay for an extra day's rental.

Originally Posted By: whip
Question for those that blame corporate greed for not having more wagons. Why did Dodge introduce the Magnum, and then kill it due to lack of sales?

Because they wanted the assembly plant space to build Challengers. (Due to the angled sides and steeply-raked hatch, the cargo area wasn't all that impressive.)

Then why did Chrysler take the time to design, and build it just to kill it for more manufacturing room?

There was little design involved: the Magnum was a rebadged version of the Euro Chrysler 300 Touring station wagon.

AMC Gremlin is IMO the best hatchback you guys produced, the Lancia Delta S4 is arguably the BEST hatchback ever designed&built.

Why so few? Because Americans typically like huge cars.

the Autobianchi A112 was good aswell... and rumoured to be the inspiration for the first Golf (driving dynamics wise at least)

But "best" is a strong statement, without qualifying...

Last edited:
does anybody understand the question? is it something to do with the skin color? he seems to be throwing that often when he runs out of rational argument.

Can't wait to see the new 10th gen Civic hatch. I think the sedan looks great, they are going to release an Si and TypeR as well. Hopefully both in hatch. That is what the doctor ordered.

Originally Posted By: Olas
AMC Gremlin is IMO the best hatchback you guys produced, the Lancia Delta S4 is arguably the BEST hatchback ever designed&built.

I was looking at Delta S4s for sale a while back; I never realized they'd got so expensive. When I'm rich, I may have to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back