Why so few hatchbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our first was a new '72 Vega and we could actually sleep in it. There were a number of other hatch cars that followed over the years and they were so much better for hauling while keeping style. The early Mazda6 4 and 5 doors looked the same excepting a rear wiper on the 5 door. Hatchbacks were always hard to find as few models and low production, but it would seem that 4 doors could all be built as 5 doors-so why not?

Hatchback or wagon?

When I think of hatchback, I think of VW Golf, Toyota Matrix, the Focus and Subaru hatchbacks etc.

Wagons nowadays are rare. The European car manufacturers still make some. The Audi and VW wagons dont look too bad IMO. I always like the Volvo wagons too. GM Austrailia's Holden makes a G8 wagon which I find gorgeous.

I think it's because hatchbacks tend to have an undeserved "downmarket" image in the US. I also prefer hatches; I've owned an Arrow GT 2.6, a Scorpio, and two 318tis(still have one) and a Mazdaspeed 3. You can't beat their versatility and convenience.

Plenty of hatchbacks out there.
The vast majority of them are SUV's, however.

Just off the top of my head:

Nissan Versa Note
Nissan Leaf
Mazda 2
Mazda 3
VW Golf
VW GTI
VW Beetle
Honda Fit
Honda Insight
Honda Crosstour
Honda CRZ
Hyundai Accent
Hyundai Elantra GT
Hyundai Veloster
Toyota Yaris
Toyota Prius
Toyota Prius C
Toyota Prius V

And there's a ton more.

BC.

The greedy auto manufacturers only care about maximum profit these days and CUV, SUV, P/U have huge profit margins so they flood the airwaves with marketing for those models almost to the exclusion of everything else.

I love HBs practical, affordable, if not cheap, and can be fun to drive in the right models.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Plenty of hatchbacks out there.
The vast majority of them are SUV's

Yup. Everytime I hear Jeremy Clarkson or some other Euro-dweeb deride us for our disdain of hatchbacks I wish I could say, "You (insert accurate word here), we've got tens of millions of them. They're called SUV's. We don't have to drive little (insert accurate word here) cars like you do."

I know envy when I see it. That's why they criticize.

Most people just don't like the way hatchbacks look. Just think about how many people in the USA can buy a Jetta or Golf, and they almost always pick the Jetta.

Anyway, I like my Ralliart Sportback because it looks like a sedan with a short trunk lid, but the whole hatch opens.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
You can't hide a dead body in a hatch back? Final answer.

You don't see many Caddy hatchbacks....maybe 1 or 2?

I like hatch backs, I owned a couple, my favorite was my old Toyota matrix. I think its easier and more practical than a trunk. The only thing better is a truck, lol

Escaping from a trunk is not as easy as busting out of the cargo area of a hatchback.

It's sabotage to make us buy $40k SUVs.

My HHR has about a foot of plastic junk between the outer skin and the interior luggage compartment. It can't hold two 33 gallon trash cans upright! It's done on purpose to attempt to force my buying the next thing up, an Equinox?

Go back to the mid 90s. When the Explorer got big they derated the crown vic's towing ability. Nothing changed about the car, they just wanted to force buyers into pricier SUVs.

If it isn't a hatchback that can seat 5, I don't bother with it.

If you need to buy a BBQ, Air Conditioner, 55" Flat Screen TV, all that stuff you need to have delivered. With my Fit, I just load it in.

Also, with a Hatch, you can load it with sleeping bags and sleep in them unless you are a giant.

I can sleep diagonally in my Fit if I slide the Passenger Side seat all the way forward.

I plan on crossing Canada again before I get too old (already did it twice) so it is nice feeling of security if you can't find a Hotel room.

Or you can install velcro blinds in it and save on the Hotel and use it for food, gas, and seeing movies in Theaters, then you just sleep in the Walmart parking lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's sabotage to make us buy $40k SUVs.

My HHR has about a foot of plastic junk between the outer skin and the interior luggage compartment. It can't hold two 33 gallon trash cans upright! It's done on purpose to attempt to force my buying the next thing up, an Equinox?

Go back to the mid 90s. When the Explorer got big they derated the crown vic's towing ability. Nothing changed about the car, they just wanted to force buyers into pricier SUVs.

+1 I guess with cheap gas here most people just accept it and buy the next size up... Obviously in Europe 18mpg isn't very popular and so the market demands more haulage with decent mileage and a smaller footprint.
Anyways, I've got my wagon and it seems it was made for maximum cargo space, and is reasonably fun to drive.
Our CRV is sort of a Honda Civic/Accord wagon, and is not a bad drive either, but the mileage penalty is pretty large inspite of having a much more advanced/expensive drivetrain. It has the same cargo space as the Focus as well. It handles competently, but its not as fun to drive as the focus is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back