Why not more hybrids?

They are the perfect bridging technology, and yet the big push seems to be EVs. EVs may be the power source of the future, but it's not practical yet. Hybrids are. I think more people would be less reluctant to go the hybrid route too. I know I would be...

I would as well, but there not new or sexy or virtue signaling. They also don't get that much better mileage than a comparable ICE vehicle on the highway, but they do get significantly better in city / stop and go driving.

Depends on the highway. There are many that are stop-and-go anytime between 6am and midnight.

Many states tax the crap out of economy cars and hybrids to get the tax rate up around a box truck driving 25,000 miles a year.

Many myself included won’t pay those fees and got rid of a car based on it, my hybrid and my stick get the same economy so one had to go, the higher liability insurance on it didn’t help either.

A plug in hybrid is probably the most ideal, you can commute on electric and have the hybrid for longer trips.

Agreed I’m paying dearly to rebuild my minor accident Volt and will begrudgingly pay the added fees
but my plain hybrid is off the road unless I can get non-expiring collector plates on it. There is no reason to have 2 cars that get identical economy but one gets extra insurance taxes and fees added for no reason.

PHEV is really the only Plug in that makes sense in a cold area without any real charging or nfastructure

Expensive, time consuming and complex to design, engineer, and build. Plus terrible “packaging” now that you’re adding a battery to a full ICE powertrain.

Might be good for some consumers, but bad for the manufacturer.

Expensive, time consuming and complex to design, engineer, and build. Plus terrible “packaging” now that you’re adding a battery to a full ICE powertrain.

Might be good for some consumers, but bad for the manufacturer.
Is it me or has Toyota been pretty low key on the EV scene? What is Toyota doing in the EV vs hybrid debate……? Hmmmmm. Crazy like a Fox maybe?

Can't wait for them to make a solid state battery EV.
Toyota/Panasonic is currently building a 1.3 billion dollar battery plant in N.C. They’re more than likely biding their time while letting other manufacturers do the R&D work.

A plug in hybrid is probably the most ideal, you can commute on electric and have the hybrid for longer trips.
My thoughts exactly. Even though I don't yet have a charging facility at my apartment building, there are a couple of dozen within three-four miles of my place, and several offer complimentary charging. I stopped at a local market earlier today and could have grabbed some watts for free while shopping for some fruit. Across the avenue from my front door is City Hall which also has a charging station. A forty mile EV range is adequate for daily errands and the reqular hybrid-mode can pick up where the EV leaves off. Toyota offers the RAV4 plug-in hybrid which would be just about ideal for my situation. I'm sure there are other vehicles that would fit my needs as well.

I know several folks with plug-in hybrids that do a fair amount of local driving and are quite satisfied with their situation.

Is it me or has Toyota been pretty low key on the EV scene? What is Toyota doing in the EV vs hybrid debate……? Hmmmmm. Crazy like a Fox maybe?
Toyota is very anti EV since thay are heavily invested in hybrids and spent lots in R&D. They just now made after curomenr/investors/peer pressure a crapy that has wheels literally falling off. Almost seems like it was on done on purpose to prove their anti EV mantra in this past years.

Back