Why not more hybrids?

A plug in hybrid is probably the most ideal, you can commute on electric and have the hybrid for longer trips.
Correct, if money is not a question, BEV for daily commute and short trips out of town, and second family car which is phev like minivan or suv for long vacation trips. Makes most sense at given moment, until DC fast chargers are placed at most gas stations(similar frequency and spread). You can take EV on vacation trips today, but as of now it requires extra planning ahead of time and added risk in case charging site is down and you can’t reach another one…

If I had to go electric then one vehicle would have to be a hybrid for distance driving since we pick up and do 3-6 hours drives frequently. One vehicle could very easily be my EV commuter vehicle - my commute is 16 miles round trip. I think most families would need the same.

Here is the data. Hybrids are holding their own but the rate of growth is higher with the plug in EV’s and in 2021 more hybrids were sold in the USA than plug ins. However, plug-ins get all the press, especially in California. Explosive growth of plug-ins is a California thing.

B6C593D8-D505-45BC-9B60-C39A8B2BD659.png

I would like to have a Toyota Corolla hybrid which gets 52/53 miles per gallon. Brand new they are only $25,000 however they are hard to find for sale used. A 2020 pre-owned car will still bring $20,000 or more. They are basically a Prius and look a lot nicer IMO. The Toyota Camry is about the same for mileage and at least $5,000 higher in price but still a good value at over 50 miles per gallon. I believe they are very dependable and are able to go a couple hundred thousands miles or more without many problems. I agree the hybrid may be the best direction to go with todays high gasoline prices. I like to go a lot of places and good gas mileage really helps the budget.

IMO it's basically because of Tesla. Automakers need to offer a product which competes with Tesla. In any case you're going to see more hybrids and plug-in hybrids. For example BMW is transitioning their entire ICE line to hybrid. I expect more to follow.

The Toyota (and Ford by license) hybrids are very well designed vehicles. A ford Maverick hybrid may end up in my driveway eventually. They rack up a LOT of NYC miles on the original battery and transmission

They are the perfect bridging technology, and yet the big push seems to be EVs. EVs may be the power source of the future, but it's not practical yet. Hybrids are. I think more people would be less reluctant to go the hybrid route too. I know I would be...
The guy that hates auto start-stop vehicles (the "worst feature ever") likes hybrids? The irony here is thick.

The guy that hates auto start-stop vehicles (the "worst feature ever") likes hybrids? The irony here is thick.
I didn't say I liked them, I said I would be less reluctant to buy a hybrid than an EV...there's a big difference...if I'm forced into something I don't like, I'll take the lesser of two evils....

A typical toyota hybrid has a 41% thermally efficient engine, and about 10% drivetrain losses. With total system efficiency about 35%. This makes the Toyota hybrid the overall efficiency leader When BTU consumed per mile is the metric

EV, are 40% less efficient when powered by todays grid. Our grid is 35% efficient and EV’s put 59-61% of grid power to the wheels. (Not including regen braking)

The current car production trend was happening long before 2021.
Ok, but the admin currently in charge made it quite obvious they have no love for the oil industry, and are not helping to make the green new deal transition smooth. We have at least another 20-30 years to go to get the grid ready. All they have to do is listen to the experts, and they aren't. CA is proof of that.

If my Odyssey was a PHEV it would be the perfect vehicle for my family.

Kills me that it's not because there's room for a decent battery and hybrid gear underneath it.

We looked at the Toyota but it was too "meh"

Overly complex compared to pure ICE or pure EV.

If I went with one Toyota has 5-10 offerings across its models and been doing it longest.

Ok, but the admin currently in charge made it quite obvious they have no love for the oil industry, and are not helping to make the green new deal transition smooth. We have at least another 20-30 years to go to get the grid ready. All they have to do is listen to the experts, and they aren't. CA is proof of that.
The upside is Change is pushed currently then will get suspended when next admin change occurs. There are experts who contradict each other for every matter. People just choose to only hear the experts who support their cause.

We have at least another 20-30 years to go to get the grid ready. All they have to do is listen to the experts, and they aren't. CA is proof of that.
CA is going "all in" with their new Bullet Train, which is all-electric too. Haven't they thought this through beforehand?

Probably best if you don't answer that.

Back