Why no NOACK #s for Mobil 1 Synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
Texas? I spend over 150 days per year outside of the US … current itinerary has 11 international flights in less than a month … One of us has a pretty good feel for what companies help the planes, trains, and automobiles (vessels, turbines) move on a global basis

Valvoline sells around here … what's that about?
Last time I looked … there was no Amsoil on any shelf … and that alone does not work for me …

Up here in the rust belt i see a lot of Amalie oil and Castrol and Valvoline selling lately. 2 Valvoline quick lubes opened up near me. One 1 mike from Ohio line, other 2 miles from me in other direction

Originally Posted by 4WD
So aside from AP (that might be dropped) about the only M1 near the price of the other two mentioned is the ESP from France (edyvw has used) and seems that has a very low Noack value �
If it really matters to you more than the OEM � be prepared to pay far more than I do for M1 0w20 EP

Formulas are allowed some latitude as well �

Source on AP getting dropped?

Originally Posted by CT8
What is the big whoop about NOACK.

It measures the volatility of the finished product. The lower the loss less thicking of the lube in use. Higher quality products have lower NOACK results.

OK I realize that this thread is kinda old but my research on the NOACK is kinda new. Just last week i was educated on the GDI nature of my MY18 Subaru Crosstrek engine (19K miles). I didn't like what I was reading relative to goop buildup on the intake valves of GDI machines. Hence I am intending to take measures in order to address this risk especially since my driving habits place my motor oil in the "severe service" category. Subaru recommends 3k miles or a 3-month OCI. Since volatility is a factor, I am looking at NOACK numbers. Subaru recommends 0W20 but I am considering also 5W20 depending on the spec numbers.

Valvoline has a NOACK of 12 for both the 0W20 and 5W20 weights which, judging from this thread, isn't what it should be. But it would be great to get that number for Mobil 1 since I am leaning toward that product. It's rumored that it might be
Any recommendations from the experts?

BTW it seems that AMSOIL is like Trump. Either it is loved or it is hated. As a result, I have little confidence in the product!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by RetiredSux
OK I realize that this thread is kinda old but my research on the NOACK is kinda new. Just last week i was educated on the GDI nature of my MY18 Subaru Crosstrek engine (19K miles). I didn't like what I was reading relative to goop buildup on the intake valves of GDI machines. Hence I am intending to take measures in order to address this risk especially since my driving habits place my motor oil in the "severe service" category. Subaru recommends 3k miles or a 3-month OCI. Since volatility is a factor, I am looking at NOACK numbers. Subaru recommends 0W20 but I am considering also 5W20 depending on the spec numbers.
Valvoline has a NOACK of 12 for both the 0W20 and 5W20 weights which, judging from this thread, isn't what it should be. But it would be great to get that number for Mobil 1 since I am leaning toward that product. It's rumored that it might be Any recommendations from the experts?
BTW it seems that AMSOIL is like Trump. Either it is loved or it is hated. As a result, I have little confidence in the product!
lol.gif

The PQIA looked at M1 0W20 AFE in 2017 and got 10.7% Noack loss...this wasn't the current dexos1 Gen 2/SN+ version of the oil, but XOM has been hinting pretty strongly that they didn't have to make changes for those standards.

http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Summary_12_15_2016.html

M1 5W20 is likely to have lower Noack loss, but there's no guarantee of that unless we see some real test results.

Originally Posted by RetiredSux

Valvoline has a NOACK of 12 for both the 0W20 and 5W20 weights which, judging from this thread, isn't what it should be. But it would be great to get that number for Mobil 1 since I am leaning toward that product. It's rumored that it might be
Any recommendations from the experts?

lol.gif

Valvoline Modern Engine 5W20 has a Noack of 12.
Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5W20 has a Noack of 7.6 and a VI 0f 147.

SMH.
Subaru and their low tension piston rings.
I would want a thick 5W20.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection

SMH.

I like that Valvoline and Amsoil are pretty good about sharing their Noack results.
VME seems to be starting to disappear and they didn't give Noack for their MST oils, though...

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

SMH.

I like that Valvoline and Amsoil are pretty good about sharing their Noack results.
VME seems to be starting to disappear and they didn't give Noack for their MST oils, though...

It would be nice to know the secret sauce for VME.
I posit that they are just clearing out inventory.
I am seeing lots of it in all grades near me.

Toyota, Chrysler and GM are also using low tension rings. A lot of research has been done to win the war on friction for fuel economy and wear. However it has added stress to the oil IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Toyota, Chrysler and GM are also using low tension rings. A lot of research has been done to win the war on friction for fuel economy and wear. However it has added stress to the oil IMO.

Sure.
But Subaru seemed to have some real problems with low tension piston rings.
And they want drivers to use Japanese style 0W20.

It would be nice to know the secret sauce for VME.
I posit that they are just clearing out inventory.
I am seeing lots of it in all grades near me.

Might be a regional thing...a poster here mentioned seeing it on clearance at WM and I stopped by one last night, no VME anywhere.
I was hoping to grab a couple of jugs for cheap, oh well!
It might make a comeback here, who knows?

Sure.

So did Toyota and GM at first... I think Chrysler was sniffing glue in the corner waiting for the big boys to work it out and then came along after it was figured out to say "me too"
lol.gif

Last edited:

Sure.

Nothing wrong with that.

My Highlander with Direct Injection and low compression rings spec'ed 0w20 and it didn't use any oil past the first couple thousand kilometers of break-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back