Why no NOACK #s for Mobil 1 Synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In comparing oils from Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1, I noticed that Mobil 1 does not provide NOACK evaporative loss numbers for their synthetic oils or ATF products. I sent Mobil 1 an email asking for this data and the answer was "this information is not available."
Is this data material in evaluating an oil's performance? If so, why would Mobil 1 not provide it unless it is relatively 'poor'?
Your thoughts?

I suspect that Mobil is happy with the way that oil is compared these days by the specifications that it meets rather than getting into real numbers. So they can say that they meet Sequence III test instead of listing what the evaporation loss was during the sequence III test. That way if they have 2% more evaporation loss than a competitor, they don't look bad. Consumers have come to understand ratings like SJ, SL CH etc, because that's what the owners manuals of cars specify. Most people don't look any deeper than this, and Mobil and other Major brands would probably like to keep it that way. That way people are buying based upon Brand recognition, not specs. Most people will just remember the slogan "Nobody beats Mobil 1...Nobody" instead of "Mobil 1 has a x% NOACK volatility rating". Then consumers find out Amsoil actually beats it and buy there product instead.

It's probably a lot like why AMD and Apple don't like to compare MHZ on the CPU's because they look bad compared to Intel even though they could argue that it is actually faster or better.

I read in an SAE report (# 981444) it was 6% for the 10W-30. Now that was for the report that delt for the development phase of the TriSyn. That's probably the best it could be.

Delvac 1 is 10% SAE# 2000-01-1993.

The last independent test I saw had Supersyn 5W-30 at 9%.

I do believe there is at least some relevance to Noack in some applications. I know of one person who went from M1 15W-50 to "another" brand's 10W-40 and consumption was cut in half. I think the Noack score had something to do with this, seeing as his consumption seemed to be evaporative under heavy use.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I read in an SAE report (# 981444) it was 6% for the 10W-30. Now that was for the report that delt for the development phase of the TriSyn. That's probably the best it could be.

Delvac 1 is 10% SAE# 2000-01-1993.

Anyone have the NOACK numbers for some other 10w-30s?

the thing i don't understand is amsoil rates mobil 1s wear scar to that of valvoline all climate!!!! I hardly believe that its true!!!

They're on the European Mobil 1 MSDS's! Not sure if it's the same oil we get though...but, how different could it be?

Mobil1 data sheets the 5w40 formula looks to be an excellent oil. Is this the Delvac1 that we get here in North America?

This must be a different kind of Mobil 1.The specs
are dated 1995.and the composition of the oil is
HC?!?
"Mobil 1 is formulated from wax-free synthesized hydrocarbons and a unique, proprietary additive system to provide exceptional thermal and oxidation stability. This, together with its naturally high resistance to viscosity change with temperature, ensures that full protection is maintained at temperatures at which other oils begin to oxidize, degrade and thicken."

All of Mobil 1's oils fall in the 6-10% range, which is very good and competitive with Redline and Amsoil. There are within 1-2% pts of the competitors, which is very insignificant difference. Mobil's lighter visc. I believe has more to do with the burning in some cases.

[ May 25, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by yannis:
This must be a different kind of Mobil 1.The specs are dated 1995.and the composition of the oil is HC?!? "Mobil 1 is formulated from wax-free synthesized hydrocarbons ...

PAO is a synthesized hydrocarbon.

Please remember that there are at least 2 volatility tests. I can't recall if they are both called "NOACK" or not.

For Schaeffer Blend 5w30-

code:

Volatility 700°F % Evaporation Loss (ASTM D-2887)

NOACK Volatility % Evaporation Loss (ASTM D-5800)

Me thinks someone may quote the results of the less stringent test. I used to really focus on NOACK but now I plan on using a good engine cleaner periodically. The only oil I would feel comfortable not using a cleaner with is Redline. I don't know anything about Amsoil.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by yannis:
This must be a different kind of Mobil 1.The specs are dated 1995.and the composition of the oil is HC?!? "Mobil 1 is formulated from wax-free synthesized hydrocarbons ...

PAO is a synthesized hydrocarbon.

yes, you are right thanks

yes i see its old, but being a mobil I use i was wondering as well. todays mobil I along with most all "synthetics" is mostly if not all cheaper group III highly refined CRUDE oil depending on the viscosity + intended use. lack of info to me indicates the omitted spec is not as good as others. not sure about noack but many tests are REQUIRED for classification of said oils, but showing the results are not mandatory!!

Originally Posted By: troy_heagy
What is NOACK?

Troy

I am sure others will chime in here..
But in my simplistic understanding NOAK is the volatility of an oil, or how much it boils off under high temp/high shear.. HT/HS
so both are somewhat tied to the hip..

J.

Mobil is too busy worrying about all the iron wear to be concerned with Noack.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2K2AcuraTL
Originally Posted By: troy_heagy
What is NOACK?

I am sure others will chime in here..
But in my simplistic understanding NOAK is the volatility of an oil, or how much it boils off under high temp/high shear.. HT/HS
so both are somewhat tied to the hip.

15 year old thread revived, so who knows how it compares today vs when this tread was created. Here's some info on more recent Noack measurements of some Mobil products... scroll down to Mobil. IMO, anything that's 10% or less is doing pretty good.

http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Summary_12_15_2016.html

I don't think HTHS has anything to do with Noack ... two independent tests to measure two completely different things.

And it's "Noack" (a guy's last name who created the test) ... not an acronym of "NOACK".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back