Why no NOACK #s for Mobil 1 Synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So aside from AP (that might be dropped) about the only M1 near the price of the other two mentioned is the ESP from France (edyvw has used) and seems that has a very low Noack value …
If it really matters to you more than the OEM … be prepared to pay far more than I do for M1 0w20 EP

Formulas are allowed some latitude as well …

I do like to see Noack values and it's unfortunate Mobil no longer provides them. They are however available via PQIA. I was able to obtain Mobil 1 EP Noack via Mobil technical support about 2 years ago. All grades ranged from 7 to 10%, which is where most if not all the Mobil 1 grades fall.

If I had to guess, Mobil stopped publishing them when they started to go the blended route which consisted of Group III+. This likely raised the Noack values a bit. Knowing what I know now, I never focus on a single attribute when evaluating an oil's preformance. However, Mobil 1's Noack values are still among the best and have shown to be

I BELIEVE I read that Mobil 1 EP and AP 0w20 are 9-10. Not bad considering their thinness.

According to some new data presented on BITOG, NOACK may not be as important % of PAO in preventing carbon deposits on intake valves.

I know the Mobil 1 EP/AP has alot on PAO in 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
I BELIEVE I read that Mobil 1 EP and AP 0w20 are 9-10. Not bad considering their thinness.

According to some new data presented on BITOG, NOACK may not be as important % of PAO in preventing carbon deposits on intake valves.

While we spin our wheels on the data trying to determine what is important or not, perhaps the most significant variable we can control to reduce intake valve deposits is to keep the oil CLEAN and don’t engage in long drain intervals. The oil can be be the best oil money can buy, but the deposits in suspension are still going be there and they’ll bake onto the valve.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain

While we spin our wheels on the data trying to determine what is important or not, perhaps the most significant variable we can control to reduce intake valve deposits is to keep the oil CLEAN and don’t engage in long drain intervals. The oil can be be the best oil money can buy, but the deposits in suspension are still going be there and they’ll bake onto the valve.
*If PFI fuel system you can run a little OCI and address IVD with a bottle of Gum Out Regain or Techron ... With DFI fuel systems in a mix of suburban and h'way driving I will not exceed 5,000 mile OCI's in my '17 Sonata and at 3,750 miles I may start checking more closely and possibly change earlier than 5,000 miles !

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
benjy - can we give the group 3 oil trashing a rest? You’re a broken record.

Not to mention he is wrong.

The best sources I have seen for Noack results for companies that don't choose to publish results for their oils (XOM and SOPUS are prominent here) are the PQIA and the Russian Oil Club.
I have mostly been interested in 5W30s and the results I can remember in general terms are;
M1 5W30 - 10%
M1 5W30 EP - 9%
M1 5W30 AP - 8.5%
M1 5W30 ESP - 6% (I think there are two flavors of this now and don't know which one this would apply to)
I'm sure not personally vouching for any of these numbers and the results might be old and reflect formulations that have been superseded.

I think the ROC had a result for a M1 0W30, but I'm pretty sure I also figured out it didn't correspond to the AFE sold in the US. I am curious about the NOACK loss for the 0W30 AFE as I have a jug in my garage waiting to be used in my Forester, but I guess I'm going to use it whether I see that info or not.
I believe that any oil that is d1G2 (or even the old dexos 1) or ACEA A5/B5 will be 13% NOACK loss. One of the ACEA standards had a 10% max limit, but I don't remember which one it was offhand.

Seriously ?… like several other companies don't have the same knowledge … and many of them engineer and produce the ingredients
Amsoil is good, and that changes my destiny how ? I have two expensive vehicles it's not approved for and can get 60-70% PAO for $25/jug at Walmart …
AND … How about this ? I support companies that are vital to the global economy … so Amsoil gets an occasional purchase and that's that … they could disappear tomorrow and who else but this website would notice?

Don't go getting all GLOBAL on us now. Give me a break. I doubt you could care less. If someone took a global stance on you, a guy from Texas no less, you would take the American argument.Who else would notice except Bitogers if companies like Schaeffer's and [censored] even Valvoline went belly up. I mentioned Valvoline because they're one of the smaller players as far as majors go. They don't even have any shelf space on the biggest oil retailer up here, Canadian Tire.

Last edited:
The Mobil 1 conspiracy theorists on this forum crack me up sometimes. Maybe they don't publish it because it won't make a difference in their sales, at all, because 99.9999999999% of the market doesn't even know what it is, let alone give a crap about it.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Think the major oil companys greed is growing more and more...

But they make good oil for my vehicles, so there's that...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madeej11
Originally Posted by 4WD
Busy making base stock for you

Yes, busy making base stock for a company that really knows how to blend it. Amsoil.

+1

Texas? I spend over 150 days per year outside of the US … current itinerary has 11 international flights in less than a month … One of us has a pretty good feel for what companies help the planes, trains, and automobiles (vessels, turbines) move on a global basis

Valvoline sells around here … what's that about?
Last time I looked … there was no Amsoil on any shelf … and that alone does not work for me …

Originally Posted by madeej11
Originally Posted by 4WD
Busy making base stock for you

Yes, busy making base stock for a company that really knows how to blend it. Amsoil.

LOL

Hate to it... but that was kinda funny
lol.gif

4wd.. always good to see you on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back