Why isn't there any rifle primers available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have checked locally at sporting goods stores and on-line at Midway and Cabela's and no one has small or large rifle primers. Does anyone know why?

Thanks,

Griz

Here in PA we have primers for rifles and pistols. The only problem is the supply of handguns and handgun ammo is drying up. Wish I could be of some help. Do you have any gun shops within a reasonable distance? They should have them.

All the gun shops and sporting goods stores locally are out and have been for some time. What gets me is no one has a clue as to when they'll be getting more in or why there is a shortage. I was just trying to find out what is going on. It doesn't make sense all the suppliers would be out at the same time.

Griz95

Originally Posted By: Griz95
What gets me is no one has a clue as to when they'll be getting more in or why there is a shortage.

crackmeup2.gif

Same reason why guns are in short supply and some of the MFG are back ordered for YEARS!

The salesman of the decade is the reason.

Take care, bill

If you are willing to pay through the nose, they can be had on the auction sites, but I would hit all the "mom & pop" shops within a reasonable distance. If the prices get much higher I might have to put some of my excess stuff up on the auction sites!

Thanks...I'll check with them and see it they have any small rifle primers. The main problem with buying on-line primers/powders is the hazardous material shipping costs. Usually unless you are buying in bulk the shipping cost is more than the material costs.

Griz95

People are stocking up so the government has more stuff to get when they come around to confiscate the guns and stuff.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
People are stocking up so the government has more stuff to get when they come around to confiscate the guns and stuff.

What guns? I sold all of mine, all I keep in my safes are important documents and GOLD BABY!!! really I do!
45.gif

Originally Posted By: bruce381
Obama is going to ban AW's and riase taxes on ammo thats the feeling

So what you are telling me is because of the Obama fear factor everyone is stocking up and the manufactures can't keep up with the demand...is this right?

Griz95

Stag Arms is 6 MONTHS back ordered as of today.

Most others are even more.

With the department of defense order (change of policy) last week 2.23 ammo has gone from $120 a thousand (before November) to today being $400-500 will be over $800 (prob a lot more) by the end of the month (if you can find it)

And this WILL cause all other ammo to go up in price.

It HAS started....

Bill

Last edited:
The department of Defense came out with policy that ALL of their brass MUST be destroyed?

I was around in 1994. I don't remember that happening.

Please educate me..

This single act will raise prices without question.

You missed the great primer famine of 1994 ?

Only lasted a short while , panicked handloaders hoarded primers and wiped out the supply .

As the impending bills regarding reloading components were shot down one by one the demand dropped and the supply returned to normal .

Certain powders was a bit scarce there for a while while the " taggents " additive was discussed ( taggents were supposed to allow tracing of powder via micro thingamajigs that were left behind after burning - many also anticipated that they may reduce the shelf life of powder )

Let us all hope the evil bills of 2009 suffer the same fate as their predecessors , and executive orders do not circumvent the law again .

Originally Posted By: CITYSLICKER
Just to be clear 1994 had nothing to do with brass .

So it is your opinion then this is all about panic buyers and suppliers unable to keep up with the demand which all will be short lived?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
The department of Defense came out with policy that ALL of their brass MUST be destroyed?

Looks like we have had a bit of luck!

LOOK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back