Winchester 63 chambering issue

@JHZR2
I think the chamber despite the swaging, is still too rough. Considering that the barrel is also pitted and its never going to be a real shooter. You just want it to chamber shoot reliably. Normally i'd not suggest this in a modern firearm. But i think this might be what you need.

A flex-hone for rifle barrels.

I would be careful and not make many passes. Maybe one or 2. Its 400 grit. Some of their rifle hones are 800 grit. But the one for .22 is 400 grit.

I think you would have to measure chamber depth and mark the shaft with tape or paint, so you don't go to deep near the rifling. I'd stay clear of the barrel twist.

Maybe make 1 or 2 passes, snake the barrel clean, lube and try some shots. Try to get the barrel hot, and if needed run the hone in the hot barrel if it only hangs up hot.

Thanks, will look into it. I can swage it some more as well… I erred on the conservative side, not wanting to remove too much.

The rifle is surprisingly accurate given the signs of pitting near the muzzle. Even my 10yo was getting tight groups with the rifle resting in a sandbag at 25. Rifles are still a bit heavy and we’re just getting started with understanding marksmanship so I think it is a meaningful result. No signs of keyholes or whatnot either though I haven’t taken to to use at a longer distance range.

Back