Why is oil at Walmart so cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I get good entertainment out of the people who won't step foot in a WalMart, but will buy the same exact goods with a significant markup from Target.

I honestly don't know how Target stays in business. Every Target I've ever been to is a ghost town, and their prices are way higher than Walmart. Their auto section is a joke too, they have barely anything in it.

They didn't last very long when they tried opening a bunch of stores up here in Canada. I think within 3 years of coming here, they closed every single store.

Target is for those who will never step foot into a Walmart. They just don’t realize they are buying the same things. Same for every major retailer. Items may have different brands and tags but it all comes off the same production lines in China and elsewhere.

Macy’s, Penny’s, Sears, you name the store. It’s all the same.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I get good entertainment out of the people who won't step foot in a WalMart, but will buy the same exact goods with a significant markup from Target.

I honestly don't know how Target stays in business. Every Target I've ever been to is a ghost town, and their prices are way higher than Walmart. Their auto section is a joke too, they have barely anything in it.
They didn't last very long when they tried opening a bunch of stores up here in Canada. I think within 3 years of coming here, they closed every single store.

Target is for those who will never step foot into a Walmart. They just don’t realize they are buying the same things. Same for every major retailer. Items may have different brands and tags but it all comes off the same production lines in China and elsewhere.
Macy’s, Penny’s, Sears, you name the store. It’s all the same.

Target is seen as acceptable and maybe even mildly fashionable in my wealthy town. Very popular with housemoms toting kids as well as ladies stopping to pick things up on the way home from work, and they will almost always have the Target card giving them 5% off everything (my wife has one). The store is about 10X cleaner than the WM a couple miles down the road and they must have some discreet security team quietly booting certain people out because the freak factor is close to zero.
There are some real differences along with the nonexistent auto department and higher prices, too...Target will carry multiple brands of hummus and kombucha whereas such things cannot be found at all at WM, and the former also has a Stahbucks that is always busy. You can also find some decent books at Target, WM has a few cookbooks and some inspirational literature. No garden store at Target, but also no birds that have gotten into main building through the doors to that department at WM. Target has nicer clothes in general, but their store brands are just about as crummy as WM's.
If I'm by myself I usually end up at WM, largely because I'll want to look at car stuff when I am there (Target has about 10 quarts of oil and 1000 Armor All type products and that's it), but if I shop with the wife we'll go to Target.

The real question is why everyone else is so expensive?
45.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
45.gif

And the answer? Everyone else is going out of business. They haven’t figured it out. Volume and scale will get you better prices on contracts. If you sell 10,000 jugs of oil a month that’s pretty good but you cannot compete with a company that sells 10 million jugs in the same month.

It’s that old saying; A bird in the hand .......

Another point although slightly off the topic.

Companies have to adapt to survive. It’s been that way since the beginning. Look at the Post Office. They were selling less and less stamps so in order to keep profits up they increased prices. They totally missed the internet and email revolution happening under their noses.

Walmart and Target and the rest are in that position now. The impact of online shopping and Amazon in particular is very noticeable. I do not see the parking lots as full as they used to be. Walmart stumbled here because they are a step behind. Online is proving to be a better experience because it’s delivered to your door, you get exactly what you want andvthe prices are pretty good. Bricks and mortar cannot do that.

It makes sense that Walmart is cheaper because of the volume they move but of all the times I've bought oil and filters there I've maybe seen 2 other guys also buying oil. They're rarely sold out of the oil and filter I need. Unless they stock their shelves that fast and I come at times no one else does.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
45.gif

Greed! And when they put it on sale(w/filter) it seems like a big deal to some.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
By the time I get out of Wal mart, 5qt jug of Castrol cost me $160.

Yeah, I have always suspected that is why the oil in every Walmart I've ever been in is at the very back corner of the store.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
By the time I get out of Wal mart, 5qt jug of Castrol cost me $160.

WOW! And, I thought I was the only one that this happened to!
grin.gif

WM has a great strategy game plan; move the product around from where it was the last time you were in WM. You will usually buy MORE during the time you're looking for the product you came for originally. THAT'S how WM does it! You DON'T have to be a rocket scientist to know this!
Now TARGET? Don't get me started about that cesspool! Everything I have to say about that one sided peoples choice is political. They cater to only one type of person, and STARBUCKS and its beliefs is their SAVIOR! Need I say more?

It is easy to look good on the internet as a keyboard activist but I doubt 90% of those who espouse the hatred of Wal-Mart actually walk the walk and give in when it is convenient for them to shop there.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Johnny answered this rumor 10 years ago.

I miss Johnny, he hasn't been on here for a very long time. I hope he's alive and well!

Johnny and Fsskier were instrumental in getting me to try M1 0-20 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

It is easy to look good on the internet as a keyboard activist but I doubt 90% of those who espouse the hatred of Wal-Mart actually walk the walk and give in when it is convenient for them to shop there.

+1

Originally Posted By: tig1
As for WM and M1, here is an answer from XM.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto...product-quality

Besides all of the racing teams across the globe, I would have to say that WM is M1's best customer.
And, why would someone Q? M1's quality? Whoever Q?'s M1's quality at WM as a reason to not buy it from WM is just making excuses to just not shop there.
Thanks for posting that tig1.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
People in Walmart don't stare at the oil like us weird folks, they just grab and go. They rather stare at the big screens in electronics

True I was in Autozone when they had their $2 clearance for synthetic and the dude that came in to grab and go. I told him that Castrol was on sell for $2 a quart and he tells me "but its not 10w-forty for my truck" Are you sure that you dont want to save money and get better oil?, letting you grab some of this Castrol synthetic before I take it all, no he tells me, I need 10w40 for my truck. Shaking my head - he bought Quaker State conventional

If you are near Interstate 285 outside Atlanta, Georgia... Nothing at all wrong 10w40 in that area. And who knows.. maybe that guy has run QSGB 10w40 for awhile and knows it runs very well in his truck.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Quaker state oil. Pretty sure it's a sub division of Pennzoil if I remember right. But there are alot of ppl who claim PZ oil creates sludge even tho I've never had problems when using it.

Originally Posted By: Weezybabydoll
Nothing wrong with Quaker state oil. Pretty sure it's a sub division of Pennzoil if I remember right. But there are alot of ppl who claim PZ oil creates sludge even tho I've never had problems when using it.

Yes it DID, back in the '70's.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Only 50 years ago?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Only 50 years ago?

I can't go back THAT FAR! But, I do remember about 1975-76. My dad used PZ SAE 30 wt. to break in engines. But, he always told me,"Son, when you start working on your own engines, don't use Pennzoil and QS to run in your engines." The proof was the '72 Gran Torino he bought from my uncle. He used both of those oils and it showed in the 429 sludge monster in the GT. Not changing it often enough contributed to it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back