Why I will always change my own oil!!!!

*Here's one for you : First oil change I did my own oil change on the Sonata using their OEM blue oil filter - next oil change I figured I would get an oil change at the dealer to get at least one oil change listed on their records . Later , I decided to change my oil again and much to my surprise I found exactly only half of the under cover bolt screws put back in (They were in a perfect pattern all the way around - just 50% less) . I went back to the dealer and politely called them on this and without saying a word they had the service center run me up 8 new under cover bolt screws . I assumed the Oil Tech decided to cut corners to save time by only replacing half of the under cover bolts ... Not the worse thing that could happen - it's the principle of the thing where you pay to have a job done right that is irritating !

Years ago I bought a new 2018 Silverado, it came with 2 “free“ oil changes. Went in for my first one, never went back for my second.

First off, just making the appointment was too much of a bother for me...oh, we don’t have anything available for two weeks. How many miles are on it? Oh, you don’t need your oil change now. Blah blah blah. It was like they were doing my some sort of HUGe favor. Then I brought it in. I waited so long in that waiting room that I actually fell asleep. Oh, sorry it took so long, we were a little backed up. Hour and a half later. At some point your own time is worth something. Never mind they probably used god knows what oil...at god knows what viscosity. I’m all set with this stuff.

Years ago I bought a new 2018 Silverado, it came with 2 “free“ oil changes. Went in for my first one, never went back for my second.

First off, just making the appointment was too much of a bother for me...oh, we don’t have anything available for two weeks. How many miles are on it? Oh, you don’t need your oil change now. Blah blah blah. It was like they were doing my some sort of HUGe favor. Then I brought it in. I waited so long in that waiting room that I actually fell asleep. Oh, sorry it took so long, we were a little backed up. Hour and a half later. At some point your own time is worth something. Never mind they probably used god knows what oil...at god knows what viscosity. I’m all set with this stuff.
Agree - left 4 free Chevy changes behind … after finding two transmission bolts loose on a new Ford - I’m going under a vehicle ASAP … want to see the more interesting side anyway 🧐

I think you're talking about just the cap to the housing, sounds like he was talking about they cracked the entire oil cooler/housing
The 7 series most likely has the 8 cyl engine, meaning the cap goes into the block itself. If it was the 6 cyl I find it hard to believe they over tightened the plastic cap enough to break the housing that's mounted to the block.

Most of the 4-cyl Toyota housings get very very tight if they're just the slightest bit overtightened.
ya know, I noticed that too. I suspect some plastic "welds" itself to metal threads. On my honda, the oil fill cap gets ridiculously tight and requires loosening with pliers to get it off. I'm aware of this, and do not overtighten it; but it still happens.

Agree - left 4 free Chevy changes behind … after finding two transmission bolts loose on a new Ford - I’m going under a vehicle ASAP … want to see the more interesting side anyway 🧐
When I bought my 08 Liberty and 16 Rubicon I was offered free NYS inspections for life, and two free oil changes. I politely told them to keep it. The free inspections become an annual event for up sells, and the oil changes give them another crack at two up sells possibly between inspections. I know that's business, and I'm a grand master of saying no, but I want no part of it. Factor in the inconvenience of going back to the dealer, and the risk of them messing something up, way out weighs any savings from the "free" services. I try and avoid the dealer after the purchase of the vehicle as much as possible. A few bad experiences, and one totaled vehicle over the years was enough for me. A recall, warranty claim, or the new vehicle bug is usually the only thing that will drag me back.

When I bought my 08 Liberty and 16 Rubicon I was offered free NYS inspections for life, and two free oil changes. I politely told them to keep it. The free inspections become an annual event for up sells, and the oil changes give them another crack at two up sells possibly between inspections. I know that's business, and I'm a grand master of saying no, but I want no part of it. Factor in the inconvenience of going back to the dealer, and the risk of them messing something up, way out weighs any savings from the "free" services. I try and avoid the dealer after the purchase of the vehicle as much as possible. A few bad experiences, and one totaled vehicle over the years was enough for me. A recall, warranty claim, or the new vehicle bug is usually the only thing that will drag me back.

Here in PA we have mandatory annual state inspections (safety and emissions) that must be done by a state licensed inspection facility. We have no choice but to take the vehicle somewhere to get that inspection done. It always turns in to an upsell opportunity regardless of where you go (fuel system cleaning, brake fluid flush, transmission fluid replacement, coolant flush, cabin filter, engine air filter, alignment, tire balance, etc.) I always have to prepare myself for the barrage of upsells and the need to keep saying "no thanks, no, no thank you, I take care of that myself, that was done recently...", etc. It is a total hassle, especially if your car is new. A bordering state has a 5-year exemption for new cars where you don't need to get it inspected for 5 years after purchasing a new car. That makes way more sense than the annual cash grab by PA.

Here in PA we have mandatory annual state inspections (safety and emissions) that must be done by a state licensed inspection facility. We have no choice but to take the vehicle somewhere to get that inspection done. It always turns in to an upsell opportunity regardless of where you go (fuel system cleaning, brake fluid flush, transmission fluid replacement, coolant flush, cabin filter, engine air filter, alignment, tire balance, etc.) I always have to prepare myself for the barrage of upsells and the need to keep saying "no thanks, no, no thank you, I take care of that myself, that was done recently...", etc. It is a total hassle, especially if your car is new. A bordering state has a 5-year exemption for new cars where you don't need to get it inspected for 5 years after purchasing a new car. That makes way more sense than the annual cash grab by PA.
We have to get annual inspections by law as well. Most local shops do it, I take mine to a mechanic I trust, closer to home, no hassle, and no up sell. I win all the way around and avoid the dealership.

New Jersey? I think the inspection requirement is not a 5 year exemption but forever(?). Pa used to have twice yearly inspection. Take your car around to different shops for an inspection. They likely will go easy on you the first time so as not to scare you off from becoming a customer. We all need some tricks if live in Pa with their blatant conflict of interest inspection program.
Delaware has inspection every two years at a state inspection station. The inspector has no financial incentive to look for ways to generate repair $$$. This was the way it used to be in NJ and should be every where else.

I do all my own maintenance and repairs. However, I have a Ford Fusion that’s a fleet vehicle, so I have to take it to a lube place. The guys at the new Mavis by my house are pretty good. You can see the bays pretty clearly and they like to talk about oil and stuff. Before they built this place, I went to the NTB and first oil change they left the oil cap off, wedged in the hood. Manager came out and checked oil and replaced cap. Never again at that place.
I always check cap is on and check oil level before I drive off.

Dipstick ( left out after O.C. ) and a few other reasons . Always check work done soon as possible . Usually a few blocks away on a parking lot or a dry car wash bay if raining / snow .

IMG_2863.JPG
IMG_2581.JPG
DSCF6335.JPG

Last edited:
New Jersey? I think the inspection requirement is not a 5 year exemption but forever(?). Pa used to have twice yearly inspection. Take your car around to different shops for an inspection. They likely will go easy on you the first time so as not to scare you off from becoming a customer. We all need some tricks if live in Pa with their blatant conflict of interest inspection program.
Delaware has inspection every two years at a state inspection station. The inspector has no financial incentive to look for ways to generate repair $$$. This was the way it used to be in NJ and should be every where else.
New Jersey has annual inspections also. My ex lives there. Here in Pa. -- I go to a local garage/mechanic now since 2006, never once have they tried to upsell me anything. Still do all my own oil changes & oil changes for Family & Friends from time to time and agree --- Rhino Ramps are the ticket....;)

New Jersey has annual inspections also. My ex lives there. Here in Pa. -- I go to a local garage/mechanic now since 2006, never once have they tried to upsell me anything. Still do all my own oil changes & oil changes for Family & Friends from time to time and agree --- Rhino Ramps are the ticket....;)
Very fortunate. They always try to upsell me. I must look dumb!

Years ago in San Luis Obispo, CA, I didn't know nothing about the auto maintenance. Always taking my cars to dealers for service whenever MID tells me. Then about a month after a $800 service visit (usually $800 including Oil & filter change, every time I went to MB dealers) for 5 year old ML320 to local MB dealer, I had RED oil light flashing while driving on a remote area of Hwy 101. Pulled over and checked dipstick, NO TRACE OF OIL on dipstick! Had it towed to closest service station, almost 3 qts of oil was needed. ML320 needs 8.5 qts of oil, but apparently short-filled by a novice.

From that on, I haven't visited any dealer for regular service, only for new vehicle or part purchase and service campaign.

Back in 2012 I would buy Rotella and OEM oil filters for my Legacy GT turbo. After about 10k miles of abysmal gas mileage and burning oil, I did it myself for the first time. It had an unbranded, too small, severely overtightened oil filter and the oil was crap at about 2k miles. Possibly unchanged. I will never go to Grappone Toyota. They also replaced the turbo but nothing else which took the motor out again in 800 miles, but that's another story 😉

NJ inspections are biennial.

My dealer offered free oil changes every 5k for my MS3 as long as I owned it; I guess that they did a satisfactory job as it was running great when I traded it 8 years later with 158k miles on it.

Back