Why I will always change my own oil!!!!

I put Fumoto valves on my cars to make the job easier and cleaner. I do all my oil and filter changes and tire rotations. I also do most of my repairs. By doing it myself I know it's done correctly. I know for sure that fluids and filters are exactly what I want installed.

My (ex)Toyota dealer didn’t put the gasket on my oil filter on my Tundra. I never made it out of the parking lot when I smelled burning oil so I stopped and looked out to see a trail 100 feet back to the bay.

I wasn’t a happy camper.

One time is all it took... i destroyed a filter trying to get it off the engine. Luckily once it was destroyed i could get to the bolts holding the filter mount to the engine. Removed that and put it in a vice AND USED A CHISEL TO REMOVE THE LAST OF THE FILTER!

I bought my sienna from a GMC dealer and it too had the filter on WAY too tight. When I looked saw pipe wrench marks on the hex thread. Had to buy a different cup driver that reached up and grabbed the fingers near the other end. then put the big torque wrench on it to break it.

A pipe wrench... really? That seemed to be done in purpose to make it a PITA for the customer so they come back in.

Learned all over again a few weeks ago why I do it myself. Bought my '17 Mustang in Denver and drove it home. Put it up on the ramps, and didn't have a cup wrench that fit the filter that was on it. Regular old filter wrench wouldn't budge it before starting to slip. Had to break out the strap wrench, and bent the hell out of the filter before it finally broke loose. Why do people think a filter needs to be this tight?

We bought a used 2013 Toyota Venza from a very upscale Cadillac dealership in Houston with only 16,000 miles on it and it was like brand new. Well, it just rolled over 20k so I proceeded to change the oil today. The filter is the cartridge type that has the plastic type housing. Well, the dealership had tightened it so tight that my normal socket wrench could not break it. So then I got out my rubber hammer and started trying to knock the wrench in the open position which did not work and then tried hitting it with a small maul. I the got out my torque wrench which is about 18" long thinking it would break it with the added leverage. Still no luck. I even tried a 1 1/2" three foot long PVC pipe to try to break it and it just started to round out the inside of the filter socket. So, finally out of desperation I got out my impact wrench that I use on lug nuts and finally, with that, I got it to loosen! THAT is why I do all my own work if possible!
I have seen my local VW dealerhip techs using impact guns to loosen and tighten the cartridge filter caps and drain bolts:oops:

kind of scary actually

I have seen my local VW dealerhip techs using impact guns to loosen and tighten the cartridge filter caps and drain bolts:oops:

kind of scary actually
I used my little 12V impact to undo the one on a family member's GM 2.4L last year, but I would never use it to tighten it, and I specifically put it on the low torque setting, figured I was less likely to break something with the impact than a breaker bar.

I have heard countless horror stories from my personal friends about quicky-lube shops. Unfortunately, dealerships are not exempt from frequent and stupid errors. I know everyone makes mistakes, but there is a liability issue when running /managing a business and you'd think they would be more careful. Ugh.
For basic maintenance items, I do far better work as a shade-tree mechanic than most of the "automotive technicians" out there. I will continue to do my own basic maintenance as long as I am able.

I used my little 12V impact to undo the one on a family member's GM 2.4L last year, but I would never use it to tighten it, and I specifically put it on the low torque setting, figured I was less likely to break something with the impact than a breaker bar.
understood,

but the clowns I saw were using compressed air tools

These days with the invention of RhinoRamps, changing your own oil is a breeze.
They're a good investment. Didn't feel like spending the money so I created my own wooden ramps, drive the car up then I use a jack to raise the car a bit more throw jack stands under and lower the car. I make sure the wooden ramps can get under the tires but don't touch them just as a back up fail safe in case the stands flop one day.

Also the things is you can tighten a filter by hand a much as possible but a good tool can still get it off. However using a impact tool to tighten a Cartirage? Yeah you're going to need a impact gun to take it off.

I recently bought RhinoRamps, but haven't tried them yet. I used the hoist at work (after hours) for 33 years to perform maintenance tasks, but recently retired and turned in all my keys. So the next oil change will be the first one done laying on the ground in a long time.
My Impala came with three included oil changes, but I did them myself instead. I enjoy doing scheduled maintenance on my cars.
I've witnessed a few gaffs when getting quicky lube oil changes done on family member's cars.

Buddy who doesn't change he's oil had a dealer crack his oil filter housing and didn't know it about it till later part cost 500 and don't know labor it's a bmw 7 2012
This is the stuff that drives me nuts. People blatantly exaggerating costs for BMW, Mercedes etc. The oil filter housing for a 2012 7 series is about $14 - $ 37 CAD from RA.

This is the stuff that drives me nuts. People blatantly exaggerating costs for BMW, Mercedes etc. The oil filter housing for a 2012 7 series is about $14 - $ 37 CAD from RA.
I think you're talking about just the cap to the housing, sounds like he was talking about they cracked the entire oil cooler/housing

This is why when you compare the "cost of your time" doing your own oil change, you have to factor in something for a destroyed engine for the lube place. 😬

Originally Posted By: keithl
We bought a used 2013 Toyota Venza from a very upscale Cadillac dealership in Houston with only 16,000 miles on it and it was like brand new. Well, it just rolled over 20k so I proceeded to change the oil today. The filter is the cartridge type that has the plastic type housing. Well, the dealership had tightened it so tight that my normal socket wrench could not break it. So then I got out my rubber hammer and started trying to knock the wrench in the open position which did not work and then tried hitting it with a small maul. I the got out my torque wrench which is about 18" long thinking it would break it with the added leverage. Still no luck. I even tried a 1 1/2" three foot long PVC pipe to try to break it and it just started to round out the inside of the filter socket. So, finally out of desperation I got out my impact wrench that I use on lug nuts and finally, with that, I got it to loosen! THAT is why I do all my own work if possible!

You should never use a torque wrench to try and loosen a nut, bolt, etc., especially one that's stuck. It could ruin the wrench.
They are known as breaker ratchets after that

Stopped at my usual Jiffy Lube with my company '19 Escape last Thursday.
Sat in the car while they did their thing. I asked to make sure that the underlayment was completely bolted back on - no problem.
Inquired with the manager if they still used Pennzoil Gold 5W20 syn blend and they still do.
I think I'm lucky that I found a good one that has been consistent for years and if I had to use them for my own car (except maybe the Stinger), I would feel OK with it.

The downside is that they charged the leasing co about $80. My daughter who lives in CT couldn't make it up for me to change her oil last year due to Covid and Valvoline got her for almost $100 for her 200 Limited (0W20). It was what it was. Ironically, I had scored a bunch of discount Idemitsu 0W20 that was just sitting on the shelf.

Back