Why I will always change my own oil!!!!

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I even do this for tire rotations, tire rotations are free, so they techs will try to skim this service. how can I tell? I have one wheel marked, so I know if they are not rotated.

I hate it when they put my alloy wheels on with an impact gun.

Stealerships and quicklube places are the absolute worst!

I bet if you got back to them about the oil filter housing they will tell you that you had the wrong wrench.
09.gif

Last edited:
I love this topic as i think a lot of people think this cant possible happen to them. Diy oil changes are a must( unless you are unable to physically do them) due to all the reasons listed above. These guys are right, the low man on the pole does the oil changes at min wage im sure. Ive heard many horror stories but my all time favorite was the time my dad took his buick in for an oil change( 4 1/2 qt change mind you) at the dealer. Came home, then called me asking me to come over as his car wasn't running right. We drained the oil out and put it in 1qt bottles. 9qts!!!!!! the guy probably walked away talking to someone and refilled it again. UNREAL

you can still use quick lubes, but be sure to check over their work!

If it was a simple as that I'd just go to a quick lube. If they strip out your drain plug there's not much a check can do about that.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I even do this for tire rotations, tire rotations are free, so they techs will try to skim this service. how can I tell? I have one wheel marked, so I know if they are not rotated.

I hate it when they put my alloy wheels on with an impact gun.

Diy if you hate it so bad

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

If it was a simple as that I'd just go to a quick lube. If they strip out your drain plug there's not much a check can do about that.

Strip plug would be on jiffy boob. Let them fix it

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Where do you guys get the cling stickers to keep track of when your next oil change is due?

Write it in the back of the owners manual. Or send yourself an email.

Just after we acquired my '67 Mustang, we took it to a Kwik-e-lube. They stripped the drain plug. Never have been to an oil change place since.

Not all dealers and oil change places are so bad as you guys claiming.

DIY oil changes is no more than 10-20% for all drivers, there are more than 150 millions cars, SUV, mini van ... in USA.

Let say we do 2 oil changes a year, a total oil changes is 300 millions, more than 240 millions are done at dealers or oil change places or independent garages. How many bad jobs are from those 240 millions ? Probably a lot less than 1%.

I change oil in my cars myself most of the times, the main reason is time saving, the other reason is convenience(I can do it whenever I like, weeknight or weekend or ...)

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Strip plug would be on jiffy boob. Let them fix it

Oh that's a great idea. Let the idiots who striped your plug replace the oil pan. I will be sure to follow your advice on this and other subjects from now on.

i have
never changed my own oil or a flat tire and never will, i dont get my hands dirty for any reason
i have people that does all that
and unless you have some type of certifacation on your wall i would not allow you to change my oil

Originally Posted By: jacky
i have
never changed my own oil or a flat tire and never will, i dont get my hands dirty for any reason
and unless you have some type of certifacation on your wall i would not allow you to change my oil

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I hope you're joking
If not,then why are you even on this site?

Maybe it is a lady
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Stewie
i have

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I hope you're joking
If not,then why are you even on this site?

Maybe it is a lady
whistle.gif

Or
Trolling.gif

You are probably right
But you have to get your hands dirty sometimes
There's a first-time for everything

i have

I'm going to make a wager that whomever does the oil changes at Walmart, a quick lube, or the dealership has no certifications whatsoever, and probably substantially less knowledge than the average BITOGer.

i have

Are you serious man? That's depressing as [censored]. I cannot conceive thinking that way. Changing oil is very therapeutic for me.

Back