Why I don't go to the mall.

I don't understand why they also don't incorporate a grocery store, so you can shop both food and none food items in one more efficient trip. Not a fan of grocery shopping. While I recognize it's necessary, nice to be able to take a look at other items while not driving to yet another location.

There used to be fancy banners hanging from the ceiling of my local mall, (that’s surprisingly still open) that said “you’ll love the mall, you’ll love it all!” and I always mumbled to my self “I hate the mall, I hate it all!” And this is true to this day.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they also don't incorporate a grocery store, so you can shop both food and none food items in one more efficient trip. Not a fan of grocery shopping. While I recognize it's necessary, nice to be able to take a look at other items while not driving to yet another location.

There have been malls with grocery stores. For example, North Park Mall in Villa Park, IL once had a Dominick's grocery store. It also had a K-Mart, which is a pretty uncommon store to have been attached to a mall.

Malls are dinosaurs and dangerous ones at that. Most are being opened up and converted to mixed use development. I probably haven't stepped foot in one in 10 years. Good job in finding one still operating.

I like going to the malls, nice ones with more upscale stuff.
As another posted in here, the malls in places like Hong Kong and Manilla Philippines are world class compared to some of the pathetic offerings in the USA.
We are falling behind the world, people work harder overseas, success driven, my wife has friends who will fly to other countries just to go shopping for a few days. I never saw a mall in the USA that had a Lamborghini or two for sale in the middle of the mall.

Malls in places like Honolulu and Bangkok do incorporate grocery stores in their malls.

Years ago (not sure the case today), stores outside of the major anchors had to pay a hefty premium to the mall landlord/, manager. Not only did stores pay rent, they would pay a percentage of their gross sales to the mall manager. Because of this, a mall manager would be very selective in what stores they allowed in a mall. A mall owner would discourage a bank in the mall, as a bank did not provide sales revenue to the mall manager. I imagine times are changing, the mall management is likely looking at any method to increase foot traffic.

I like going to the malls, nice ones with more upscale stuff.
As another posted in here, the malls in places like Hong Kong and Manilla Philippines are world class compared to some of the pathetic offerings in the USA.
We are falling behind the world, people work harder overseas, success driven, my wife has friends who will fly to other countries just to go shopping for a few days. I never saw a mall in the USA that had a Lamborghini or two for sale in the middle of the mall.

Yep and those malls have everything ranging from grocery stores to medical and dental clinics. Many of the bigger malls have attached hotels and condominiums. If you want to go further they have train and subway stations there as well. These malls are well planned.

I went to the Columbus Tanger outlet mall a few weeks ago with my wife and younger sister and it was fun. I'd rather see good looking women in person than sit at home drinking beer and watching football. And I only go maybe 4 times a year, so it's not overkill.

There are still a few good malls around. In areas of growth, newer malls have often replaced older malls.

The fact is most all BITOG members are guys. Men have historically never liked malls and I bet there is an Al Bundy Married With Children skit about it somewhere.

The mall is great. where else at 8:30pm on a Saturday night can you buy some defense ammo?
9mm 125 +P at Dunham sports.

I'd rather see good looking women in person than sit at home drinking beer and watching football.
OMG, I meant to comment on this. Oh yes! For Sure! The best part about the mall!
From what my wife tells me, talk about good looking woman, even she is flawed by the girls in the Manilla malls there when she visits family.
Im good with Tanger here... I know exactly what you are saying :p

When I lived in northern New Jersey 20 years ago, there was a mall called Willowbrook. They proceeded to build office buildings around its perimeter. Around Christmas time, at 5 pm, it took close to an hour to leave the mall parking lot and get on the highway.

I now live in southern Vermont. The closest large mall, in Rutland, lost its anchor stores and shut down. When we have to shop for things like major appliances, we now go to family owned small businesses. And for small items not stocked at the local hardware store, its all online shopping. I don't miss the malls at all.
You went from Willowbrook Mall in New Jersey to Vermont?? What a smart move..no sarcasm..that was a smart move. The malls that are left are like Jurassic Park, dying dinosaurs. There’s nothing to miss. Well done!

One mall's plan to increase confidence and security at their tax generating mall:

Orland Square mall in Orland Park is putting a policy in place that will ban some unaccompanied teens from being in the shopping center.

The shopping center, Orland Park’s major sales tax generator, will require those under 18 to be accompanied by a parent or adult, 21 or older, after 3 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays beginning March 12.

Unsupervised guests under 18 will have to either leave the mall by 3 p.m. those days or be joined by a parent or adult, according to the policy announced Tuesday.

One mall's plan to increase confidence and security at their tax generating mall:

Orland Square mall in Orland Park is putting a policy in place that will ban some unaccompanied teens from being in the shopping center.

The shopping center, Orland Park’s major sales tax generator, will require those under 18 to be accompanied by a parent or adult, 21 or older, after 3 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays beginning March 12.

Unsupervised guests under 18 will have to either leave the mall by 3 p.m. those days or be joined by a parent or adult, according to the policy announced Tuesday.

I suspect that activities outside the mall will increase and those youths will be the main part of them.

• Sad
Reactions: GON

Good idea but this policy can never be enforced In the current “climate”.
Kick a few out of a certain type and in an hour and they will enlist a few more buddies and descend on the place and dare you to kick them all out. That “I dare you” glare!
The police want no part of it and the Mall security is a joke.

The few have ruined it it for many.

An idea that would work on dispersing the younger crowd would be to install cell phone reception blocking technology (no bars while inside) and no public Wi-FI. Kids will not linger in an area where they can’t text and participate in social media. I could handle having no phone reception but my kids could not run away fast enough.

You went from Willowbrook Mall in New Jersey to Vermont?? What a smart move..no sarcasm..that was a smart move. The malls that are left are like Jurassic Park, dying dinosaurs. There’s nothing to miss. Well done!
I was disgusted with everything about New Jersey life, and fortunately, my line of work allowed relocation and remote work at that time. The move saved my sanity.

Wife and I enjoy going to malls, there are two large malls and hour north of us in Fresno "Fashion Fair Mall" and an hour south of us in Bakersfield "Valley Plaza Mall", spend a few hours at each just walking and window shop, pick up a few items here and there, gets us out of the house for a few hours then have a nice steak dinner at a Texas Roadhouse before heading home. :)

Sometimes you need something from a store. I try to
Go at the most obnoxious times that will minimize the people. Like on a rainy Tuesday night.

The malls around us that are left are either ghost towns, or “upscale” and absolutely packed almost all the time. Many other store options have another one within not many miles that’s not at a mall.

I was disgusted with everything about New Jersey life, and fortunately, my line of work allowed relocation and remote work at that time. The move saved my sanity.
It’s not that bad if you know where to live and go.

Can’t really help that it’s centered in the most important area of the country, and has beaches, mountains, and farms all within short drives. That draws lots of folks.

But taxes stink and it is pretty dense. And lots of people who made such poor decisions they drove the beacons of commerce and industry out of state… and still expect others to pay their bills….

Last edited:
That’s the way of the world, ain’t it? 99.9999% of what NEVER happens happens to the 0.0001% of people who it statistically shouldn’t happen to!

Oh, and my new “mall” is the new Harbor Freight, Costco and places like Home Depot. Like a teenager, I mostly just got to look at stuff and not spend money. Well, except for Costco! I go there for the free samples and somehow leave with a receipt showing no less than a buck fitty!

Back