Why I don't go to the mall.

Went to the mall and proceeded to wander in.,,there was cops everywhere 2 cars to our left. Guess a 2nd class citizen and his girl got into a fight in the parking lot

I hate the mall.
Malls have become target rich environments. Stay out. The crime there is not being reported as it's bad for business. But don't be fooled by the lack of crime coverage, there is an entire class of people who prey upon shoppers and the businesses there.

However, there are still a few really good malls that are in high end locations.

Is Sears a dirty word now? This Westfield mall is 2 miles from home https://www.westfield.com/montgomery and is pretty busy most any time of year. Two dozen restaurants and movie theaters keep people coming back. Sears closed a few years ago, but other than that, you would never think malls are going out of style. Shopping online is great for auto parts, books, small electronics, but for a big screen TV, shoes, or clothing, you want to see, feel, touch, try on the merchandise before buying. Not buying pants off the internet when the sizes between manufacturers are variable and returning stuff that doesn't fit is a hassle and expensive.
I just checked the restaurants at Westfield. They have. Frank Pepe pizza. Wow, that is a really special pizza.

Is Sears a dirty word now? This Westfield mall is 2 miles from home https://www.westfield.com/montgomery and is pretty busy most any time of year. Two dozen restaurants and movie theaters keep people coming back. Sears closed a few years ago, but other than that, you would never think malls are going out of style. Shopping online is great for auto parts, books, small electronics, but for a big screen TV, shoes, or clothing, you want to see, feel, touch, try on the merchandise before buying. Not buying pants off the internet when the sizes between manufacturers are variable and returning stuff that doesn't fit is a hassle and expensive.
Might be regional-but I have traveled the country and with very few exceptions malls are not any where 100% vacancy-and are struggling. Now instead of an empty storefront-you have a store with a window used by another place in the mall-that says "come visit us at #whatever. BTW-returning things to Amazon-is not 100% hassle free-but it's pretty close. The younger generation are buying cars off the Internet (my neighborhood proves this-many Vroom or Carvana temp plates) so pants shouldn't be a big deal.

Malls in places outside of oconus are doing well. From Honolulu to Bangkok, many malls are vibrant. I think security may be a factor in the decline of malls on conus

I agree. The air conditioning is a big attraction in those places but many of their malls are showcase buildings. Massive structures that attract a ton of people every day. One mall in Manila has its own light rail system.

There is a thing called the Internet-You can find any book. If it's a currently published book-there is this thing called a Library.
Some of us still like to shop in person. Open that filter box and make sure that the filter has not been swapped,dented,or crushed.

Plus if something won't fit in my mail box it's a 45 minute drive 1 way to the post office to retrieve it. Even if you click on ups or FedEx it seems that sellers still use USPS.

Only reason I go to the mall was Sears and the other store (richards" so I don't get in trouble for saying the actual name again) to look at tools or guns and ammo. Now with both of them gone I have zero reasons to ever go there again..
Wait! Hot dog on a stick maybe.

Our mall is catalytic converter theft central and having the cops hanging out near her FJ may have been a blessing as anyone could slide under it and zip all 4 off in seconds.

Our mall is located in the lowest crime area in the state (Kennesaw, GA).

It is about 70% capacity and we mainly use it for mall walking and gathering the occasional sample from the food court.

Our shopping these days is either online, at the supermarket, or an Amazon Bin Store (Amazon returns reseller).

We have a lot of guns and the area is pretty far from the criminal elements. Anyone who comes here looking for trouble is going to get far more than they can handle.

What about the cute girls? Or not interested in them either. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe AutoMechanic is interested in these girls, not the flighty, airhead Mall types. 🤔😉
D2121916-367C-4079-8ED0-2B1AFA0291B0.jpeg

Some friends of mine live in an apartment at the Galleria Mall in Houston. Too expensive for me! We prefer the semi-ghetto malls haha:D.

Last time I went to the mall I witnessed a morbidly obese girl cleaning the puss from what I assume was her freshly pierced belly button. 4.5 years ago. Just before we bought our house and we were appliance shopping at Sears.

I always prefer to see, touch, feel and try on, so if it requires a visit to the mall so be it. Trying to avoid pre-holiday rush and weekend crowds whenever possible, but I know it is not always possible.

Sometimes also run in to some interesting people, not only at the oil isle at Walmart, but at the hardware store or big box retailers too!

Malls here in South Texas are being replaced by Strip Mall sprawl. Tons of retail, and outdoor/mixed use.

One of the shopping malls here in san antonio from the 60's has mostly been converted into healthcare offices, and VA clinics, with a few retailers sprinkled in, but that type of shopping is almost dead.

Wife wanted to get a book from Barnes and nobles. Went to the mall and proceeded to wander in.

While she shopped I went to D*ck's Sporting Goods. Guess I'm out of the loop cause D*ck's doesn't sell guns or ammo any more.

Nothing to see here so I went back to the book store,found wife,paid the bill and left.

Got to her car and there was cops everywhere 2 cars to our left. Guess a 2 nd class citizen and his girl got into a fight in the parking lot and security called the cops.

Now the cops had us blocked in. Finally after 45 minutes the car in front of us backed out so I was able to drive out forward..... Only to be met by a car that wanted that spot and she thought I was trying to steal it from here. I bullied my way out and got out finally.

I hate the mall.
Could have happened anywhere.

One thing I never understood was why don't they don't have auto parts and accessories stores in the mall. That would attract a lot more men to come to the mall. There are like 50 shoe stores, 50 clothing stores, a half dozen jewelry stores, but not one single store that sells custom wheels or trailer hitches.

Years ago there was a Hi-Gear auto parts store in the Manassas Mall. Hi-Gear was a local Washington DC metro area chain of auto part stores. They filed for bankruptcy in the mid 90s. I think the mall store closed before the chain filed for bankruptcy.

One thing I never understood was why don't they don't have auto parts and accessories stores in the mall. That would attract a lot more men to come to the mall. There are like 50 shoe stores, 50 clothing stores, a half dozen jewelry stores, but not one single store that sells custom wheels or trailer hitches.
Probably not enough profit. Rent is probably high, and those parts stores have to have a lot of storage space for stuff that will sit for a long time. Retail places, if it sits more than x weeks, mark it down, we’re losing money.

Different business strategy. They need cheap storage space more than easy access, people don’t go to an auto parts place just to window shop, they have specific needs. And thus will drive out of their way (to a degree) as a result.

Back