Why do you use the oil brand you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Valvoline Advanced full synthetic 5W-30 because:
- Rated dexos1 Gen2 SN+
- High HTHS
- Low Noack

9.3% isn't exactly what I'd consider to be low noack. It's ok, but it's really not that low. Valvoline's 10w30 is 8% and their 5w20 is 7.6%, I'd consider 7.6% to be approaching what you could call low.

I have used M1, Castrol, Valvoline and Havoline. I'm not particularly brand loyal but if a engine sounds good on any of these then I'm happy and tend to stick with it.

I'll probably return to Mobil 1 with the next change. I had considered Pennzoil but they are no longer on my radar.

Originally Posted by Patman
- Rated dexos1 Gen2 SN+
- High HTHS
- Low Noack

9.3% isn't exactly what I'd consider to be low noack. It's ok, but it's really not that low. Valvoline's 10w30 is 8% and their 5w20 is 7.6%, I'd consider 7.6% to be approaching what you could call low.

It's lower than a lot of 5W-30 out there. I don't use 20 wt, so I'm comparing 5W-30 oils.

The limit for Noack is 15 I believe to 9ish would be considered low. Not as low as some companies but lower than the limit of 15.

- Rated dexos1 Gen2 SN+
- High HTHS
- Low Noack

It's not outstanding for a 5W30, but it's pretty good for a reasonably priced one found on WM shelves.
I have seen 10% for M1 5W30, 9% for M1 5W30 EP, and 8.5% for M1 5W30 AP...Magnatec 5W30 is 8.9% going by Castrol's PDS, but it's not stocked at my local WMs.
SOPUS' PPPP/PUP were at 10/11% before the d1G2 reformulation, haven't seen numbers since then.

It's lower than a lot of 5W-30 out there. I don't use 20 wt, so I'm comparing 5W-30 oils.

How do we know this though, when Noack isn't really published for very many oils? (for instance, do we even know what the Noack is for anything from Mobil 1? Pennzoil Platinum?)

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

It's not outstanding for a 5W30, but it's pretty good for a reasonably priced one found on WM shelves.
I have seen 10% for M1 5W30, 9% for M1 5W30 EP, and 8.5% for M1 5W30 AP...Magnatec 5W30 is 8.9% going by Castrol's PDS, but it's not stocked at my local WMs.
SOPUS' PPPP/PUP were at 10/11% before the d1G2 reformulation, haven't seen numbers since then.

That's the thing, we don't know their numbers, and where did you get the ones for M1? It's not on their website.

So it's hard to say if Valvoline is really better.

Originally Posted by jbutch

Are you planning to do an UOA on the 0w-30? I'd be curious to see the results.

Not planning to at this point, when I was planning to do a UOA some years ago I realized it was going to cost more than the oil and filter for a change.
This was Blackstone, are there cheaper options that I should look at?
I have O'Reilly and NAPA stores within easy reach if they sell cheaper kits...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Virtus, look up Wix 24077 on RockAuto. $10 USD for a UOA kit from Wix via them with something like $3 shipping. Cheap cost for good information.
https://www.rockauto.com/?mfr=WIX&partnum=24077

Good info, thank you.
Mentioning shipping reminded me that there was a rash of kits going back to Blackstone being summarily thrown away by the USPS several years ago, apparently because they had an issue with some packages leaking and they decided that was a "bad destination". This also played into my decision to not bother with Blackstone at that time...

That's the thing, we don't know their numbers, and where did you get the ones for M1? It's not on their website.
So it's hard to say if Valvoline is really better.

It is frustrating trying to find Noack info...the PQIA and Russian Oil Club were in line on the M1, the results are a little old but XOM has hinted strongly that plain ol M1 5W30 hasn't changed much in a while and UOAs support that. EP was from the ROC, and AP 5W30 was tested recently by the PQIA. The SOPUS numbers were on their website before disappearing suddenly, some of us thought maybe because PUP looked worse than PPPP and the former was supposed to be the premium product. Again, those were also pre-d1G2 numbers that probably don't apply anymore.
I view the PQIA as the best source, but they look at 0W20 and 5W20 much more than 5W30 these days are they seem to be the more recommended oils by OEMs.

How do we know this though, when Noack isn't really published for very many oils? (for instance, do we even know what the Noack is for anything from Mobil 1? Pennzoil Platinum?)

PQIA list of 5w-30's, most of them are ~12%:
http://www.pqiadata.org/SAE5W30SamplesTest2016.html

Their test of M1 AP 5w-30 shows 8.5%.

Their test of Sunoco Ultra Synthetic shows 10.2%

Their test of Amalie Elixir Full Synthetic shows 11.2%

I'm hoping the Russian test is true and the oil I use in my Corvette really does have a Noack under 6%.

I am a bit curious as to why Valvoline's Advanced Formula 5w30 has a lower Noack than their Modern Engine Formula though, considering that's their premium oil and is supposedly geared towards fighting carbon buildup in GDI engines. Shouldn't an oil with that goal have a much lower Noack #? The Modern Engine Formula 5w30s Noack is 11%.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life
Only use Mobil 1. Worked awesome in my 4.6 and 5.0 Panthers and also in my Tahoe. I keep my vehicles till 300K miles.

My son uses M1 0-20EP in his 2016 Tahoe with great results. He now has 90K at 15K OCI and all is well.

Virtus, look up Wix 24077 on RockAuto. $10 USD for a UOA kit from Wix via them with something like $3 shipping. Cheap cost for good information.

Good info, thank you.
Mentioning shipping reminded me that there was a rash of kits going back to Blackstone being summarily thrown away by the USPS several years ago, apparently because they had an issue with some packages leaking and they decided that was a "bad destination". This also played into my decision to not bother with Blackstone at that time...

I've always used BS because I like their costumer service and they always answer back email with questions that I ask them. Also, I find their reports easy to read/understand compared to others.
But it seems a bit more expensive than the other options.

Originally Posted by jbutch

Good info, thank you.

I've always used BS because I like their costumer service and they always answer back email with questions that I ask them. Also, I find their reports easy to read/understand compared to others.
But it seems a bit more expensive than the other options.

I use Terry for accuracy over Blackstone (the lab he uses is highly calibrated and uses the latest technology and performs all tests available for UOA's) and I like the report layout he uses and his comments as well as being available when I have questions but for ongoing monitoring for trending I will use less expensive labs for the "in between" samples where I don't need commentary or need to ask questions and less precise accuracy is acceptable because I'm operating within a saftey margin OCI from Terry's initial report.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Brigs
Your Hy-per Lube ZRA is OK under Hyundai warranty too?

Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back