Why do you frequently change brands of oil?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I was reading another thread earlier, and the OP noted that for the past five oil changes, a different oil was used for each change. OTOH, I've been using pretty much the same brand of oil for years. I started out with Red Line in 1984 and used it with excellent results in my two Mazdas until 1991 when I purchased a new Ranger. I met an engineer from an oil company and he suggested I try M1, and through a couple-three vehicles since then, that's what I've used.

Please understand that I'm not being judgemental, just curious. What motivates you to keep changing brands of oil for the same car over time?

Brand loyalty is superstitious behavior at it’s very best. Brands aren’t even loyal to themselves.

Didn’t Exxon and Mobil merged in like ‘99? You know there was some diehard dudes back in early ‘90’s that were like “I would never buy that Exxon crap - it’s Mobil for life.” 10 yrs later it’s the same company.

I was reading another thread earlier, and the OP noted that for the past five oil changes, a different oil was used for each change. OTOH, I've been using pretty much the same brand of oil for years. I started out with Red Line in 1984 and used it with excellent results in my two Mazdas until 1991 when I purchased a new Ranger. I met an engineer from an oil company and he suggested I try M1, and through a couple-three vehicles since then, that's what I've used.

Please understand that I'm not being judgemental, just curious. What motivates you to keep changing brands of oil for the same car over time?
Cause’ I’m a oil whore. When I can get CQ clearance oil for like $1-3 a 5quart jug and 80-95 cents a quart; are you flipping kidding me? 💩💩

Wal Mart ain’t the oil paradise, Rural King near me has way more inventory stacked all over. Long as I find that and clearance oils at AAP and Autozone, I’ll never stay “brand loyal”.

As long as it's synthetic, API certified, doesn't burn, and cheaper, I'll buy it. No brand loyalty here. I use PP due to the lower NOACK for GDI engines, but if Wally's Supertech didn't burn in my cars and had a better NOACK, I'd use it without hesitation.

Its all about getting the most economical oil because as far as I'm concerned they are all so close for my 6 month OCI it isn't going to make one Iota of difference. So if one oil is on sale for $14 or $15 with a $10 rebate bet your shorts that's the oil I'm getting! Its been over 5 years now since I've used the same oil for two changes!

I liked to try them all to see which one I like the best. They all seem to perform the same.
Now cost is the main attraction now.

The VOA and UOA results posted here have influenced the brand I buy/try several times. I tend to stay away from oils that are "thin" for their grade, given what I've seen about how oils can shear their viscosity over an OCI.

I use whatever I can find that’s the least expensive and carries the approval I’m looking for. Right now that’s Castrol Edge 5W-30LL on rollback at Walmart.com for under $23. It’s become my universal oil.

But if something less expensive comes along with 504 00 approval then that’s where I’m headed, although these days it’s becoming harder to find.

Cause it’s fun to do…
Please explain how using different brands of oil is fun. I must be missing something as, regardless of the brand oil I use, I get no additional pleasure out of an oil change. Maybe I should have an oil change party, invite some friends, have some drinks, BBQ, and a garage band performing while the oil drains. That would be fun!

Back