Why do they keep coming up with new oil filters?

Place I work for bought 4 brand new John Deere pieces of equipment. They are coming up on their first service. I call the J.D. dealer.

No oil filters available yet! Ok I get the J. D. Number and start calling around.

Wix,fram,Baldwin, fleet guard etc.... Nobody makes it yet.

Out of the 1000's of existing filters already being made they had to design a new number instead of using an existing one?

This is stupid!

Talk about being perfectly practical. Years ago the Big Three proposed that there was no justification for brand specific gas caps, rad caps, so savings could be achieved by sharing these with all. I think this concept gained some traction, but with regards to oil filters they could do so much more across so many ICE products.

Typical sham deere. I live around the "hillbilly" parts of outer Houston which is Waller and Tomball where john deere owning friends suffer from them. And I'm not talking about the little mowers but the huge tractors they need to make a living. Agriculture and large mowing businesses. It's not enough for them to make software and parts proprietary and inaccessible but now even the oil filters too? Those America hating rats will burn in the afterlife.

Last edited:
Don’t forget the air filters also. I have a new 22’ Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and no one cross references an air filter for it. Dealer only.

Call JD customer support to verify what dealer said. Somehow it doesn’t sound right. If true they should have the aftermarket options.
I was proud and surprised to see Ukrainians use JD agricultural equipment. Looks like it is popular there. Never knew that.

There was. From 1961 to 1972 all John Deere 10 and 20 series < 120 HP used the same cartridge engine oil filter. I still remember the part number - AR26350.
I mean for all cars. There is no reason foa a bazillion different filter sizes.
The worst that I have dealt with is the filter for my friend Debbie's 2015 gorgeous Jeep GC with the turbo diesel. $70 at the dealer. Probably cost 50 cents to make.
In manufacturing engineering, part commonality saves money across the board.

For many years most all lawn tractor and zero turn mowers used the JD 242 filter.
Many used the Fram 3614 oversized filter (cross to favorite brand).
If you are talking larger equipment, I'd check Fram's web site for a possible auto
filter that is usable.
JD likes to install the '30 second' oil change thing on the Briggs engines; only available from
them and not cheap. ($35/$40). 'course, some know that the adaptor to switch back to the
spin on filter is available for cheap $10/$12.

Place I work for bought 4 brand new John Deere pieces of equipment. They are coming up on their first service. I call the J.D. dealer.

No oil filters available yet! Ok I get the J. D. Number and start calling around.

Wix,fram,Baldwin, fleet guard etc.... Nobody makes it yet.

Out of the 1000's of existing filters already being made they had to design a new number instead of using an existing one?

This is stupid!
Yes but its the way they justify price increases. I'm still waiting for a meaningful change like 99 plus efficiency at 10 microns!

Same for my buddies John Deere tractor he bought new last year. I had to go to the local dealer for the oil filter, when most John Deere equipment for years took a Napa Gold 7076, nope not this one, dealer only till the aftermarket catches up.

Could be that the equipment takes an existing filter, but the dealer's parts info hasn't been updated to include the newest applications.

Toyota is another manufacturer that used to use the same oil filter across almost all applications.

Most Fords take one of just a few basic oil filters.

It's an oil filter. All you should need is the thread size, gasket diameter, and length.

www.vice.com/amp/en/article/xykkkd/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-

Swear I just thought what you say here....

Thread size, gasket outside and inside diameter and length of the filter.

Its like drink tops.... You can utilize a flip cap from one and put it on another bottle top and it work perfectly. Totally different drink but the cap size will work. I used a flip top from a Smart Water container and put it on a Eternal water container and it worked easily. Or take a Deer Park smaller opening flip cap and it can for on some other different containers too.

I do that when I want a flip cap on a brand of water and their container doesn't have one on it.

Whatever happened to the phrase
KISS "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID"
That's why so many quick lubes, carry oil 1 oil filter that fits multiple vehicles.. it may be smaller but it works.. then the do-it-yourselfer takes it off the next time. And finds it smaller. And thinks it's the wrong filter..

Back