Why Do Dealerships Know Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom has an 07 Corolla which has run fine since she got it except for the transmission. To be kind the automatic transmission started shifting a little harder about 2 years ago (actually it is more like someone was changing gears with a sledgehammer). She took it to the dealership and they said that nothing was wrong with it. Also because Toyota recommends the fluid as lifetime they would not change the fluid (unless paid for). I was not satisfied with this answer and did an ATF fluid change on the car. I looked on the forums here and finally settled on Mobil 1 ATF because it was locally available, synthetic, cheaper than most of the other synthetics, and I know that the OEM ATF fluid is made by Mobil as well so I figured they would work excellent together. I got 3 quarts because that is what the owners manual said it would take (after I drained it I found out I needed to get 4 quarts, way to go Toyota) and changed the fluid. It was very easy on this car, no filter to replace and it has a tranny drain plug.

Well after replacing all 4 quarts I drove it off the ramps and took it for a test drive. I put my foot hard down and I got the smoothest acceleration I have every felt in an automatic. It is butter smooth when accelerating but still has a little notchiness when down-shifting, but it is much better. I wanted to share my experience with everyone. Don't listen to you manual or dealership when they say to change your fluids, go by your own instinct. If something is acting up it is a lot easier (and cheaper) to replace the tranny fluid than a transmission.

57K miles on the car, 3K more and it is out of warranty.

I do not know if they checked the ATF, I did and it was at the proper levels. The fluid looked red on the dipstick, but once drained it was dark.

And if a partial fliud change did not help it you'd want your money back.The PERSON you dealt with at the dealer either felt nothing was wrong or was not experienced enough.But thats not the WHOLE dealer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: J_Sap
The fluid looked red on the dipstick, but once drained it was dark.
This is nearly always the case. By the time the dipstick level goes dark it may be too late.

After you drive it awhile, you might want to do another drain and refill or maybe another after that to get a more complete change. I know Mobil 1 ATF isn't cheap but cheaper than repairing or replacing a transmission.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
After you drive it awhile, you might want to do another drain and refill or maybe another after that to get a more complete change. I know Mobil 1 ATF isn't cheap but cheaper than repairing or replacing a transmission.

I know it would be a good idea to do this but this is my mom's car and I only see it so often. I told her that if it starts to shift hard again to replace the fluid ASAP, otherwise to change it again at 90K.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
What is the transmission code? Are you sure it does not have a filter to (drop the pan and) replace?

From what I have read online and in the service manual it did not specify a transmission filter, just a screen which is not replacable. I am not 100% sure because the manual has already steered me wrong once.

60k miles in 3 years is a lot of driving. As long as it wasn't abused, mom's transmission will last a long time if you continue with its maintenance.

Just do a couple drain/refills and keep driving.
From this point forward, 1 drain/refill every 6-9months would be good maintenance. Don't wait for shift quality to degrade.

A drain/refill is a partial change and hence the increase in frequency. If you plan on doing a complete cooler line flush, 30k is a good goal.

Dealers/automakers don't care if your vehicle lasts. If it doesn't, you go out and buy another one. Preventive maintenance is for those of us that want to keep the vehicle a long time.

My mom has an 07 Corolla which has run fine since she got it except for the transmission. To be kind the automatic transmission started shifting a little harder about 2 years ago (actually it is more like someone was changing gears with a sledgehammer). She took it to the dealership and they said that nothing was wrong with it. Also because Toyota recommends the fluid as lifetime they would not change the fluid (unless paid for). I was not satisfied with this answer and did an ATF fluid change on the car. I looked on the forums here and finally settled on Mobil 1 ATF because it was locally available, synthetic, cheaper than most of the other synthetics, and I know that the OEM ATF fluid is made by Mobil as well so I figured they would work excellent together. I got 3 quarts because that is what the owners manual said it would take (after I drained it I found out I needed to get 4 quarts, way to go Toyota) and changed the fluid. It was very easy on this car, no filter to replace and it has a tranny drain plug.

Did you expect them to do the fluid change for no charge? What made you think they were going to do it?

I would not have expected the dealer to do a free fluid change as the cost is the owners responsibility. To have the dealer suggest that nothing was worng is typical it seems if no money is involved. The Corolla does not state it is a "lifetime fluid" but, has a fluidd inspection interval which determines when it should be changed.

I would wait a 10K Miles and change the fluid again with the M1. Something is definitely wrong with that old fluid if you experienced the change that quick.

I would also think you might have sticking valves or solenoids in the transmission so you might want to watch this closely if the warranty is coming due!

cheers3.gif

Drain and fill for those cars should be about 3.5 quarts. After my wife's 06 Corolla his 45k miles, I decided to do a drain and fill. The fluid was dark, although the T-IV is supposed to be darker than normal, but the fluid looked a lot better after just doing a quick drain and fill. I decided that from now on I will do a quick drain and fill on the trans every 15,000 miles. When it hits the 105k mark, I might drop the pan and change that filter screen it is supposed to have in there.

Point is, for a simple drain and fill, just keep doing it every once in a while and hopefully your harsh shifting will stay away. :D

Yeah,tell me about screens in their. My RX was supposed to be a screen in their too. I dropped the pan,and it was a paper filter!
54.gif

My service adviser at the local dealer knows I'm OCD about maintenance, so when I told him I wanted the X3's "lifetime" ATF and transfer case oil changed at 50K I didn't get any hassle whatsoever. And the cost wasn't all that bad either- $208.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
What is the transmission code? Are you sure it does not have a filter to (drop the pan and) replace?

From what I have read online and in the service manual it did not specify a transmission filter, just a screen which is not replacable. I am not 100% sure because the manual has already steered me wrong once.

9450_1.gif

Transmission Filter 58040 L4 1.8L 1794cc R Engine Code 1ZZFE FWD

Applications for part 58040

Make Model Engine
PONTIAC VIBE L4 1.8L 1794cc
TOYOTA COROLLA L4 1.8L 1794cc
TOYOTA MATRIX L4 1.8L 1794cc
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=58040

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
9450_1.gif

Transmission Filter 58040 L4 1.8L 1794cc R Engine Code 1ZZFE FWD

Applications for part 58040

Make Model Engine
PONTIAC VIBE L4 1.8L 1794cc
TOYOTA COROLLA L4 1.8L 1794cc
TOYOTA MATRIX L4 1.8L 1794cc
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=58040

Thank you for this. It is annoying that the manual states their is no tranny filter but having it wrong on this part and being able to change it is good news. It looks like this car will get a transmission filter change along with a fluid change. And it will be incredibly easy to do with a drain plug as well, no mess as when you normally take the tranny cover off.

What manual have you got? Is it owners manual, Haynes, Chilton or factory shop manual?

I am thinking of replacing the filter in my 1994 Prizm. A245E is my transmission type, as far as I know Toyota used this transmission till 2006 or 2007.

I wanted to do it as you did, by just draining and re-filling.But there might be pieces,dirt trapped in the filter,a change might be better service.The only thing scares me is if the new gasket does not seal the pan and as a result getting leaks where there was none before the service.Any advice about dropping the pan,replacing the filter and sealing/putting a new gasket on the pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back