Why Do Dealerships Know Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know my Trans have a spin-on filter in early years and current models overseas like in Africa. Some models had a replaceable filter, mine has a screen because I saw it at the dealer.

think that trans wants mobil 3309, dont know if the m1 syn atf is compatible. the clutches in aisin-warner AT's is paper-based material, and 3309 is designed for that.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
What manual have you got? Is it owners manual, Haynes, Chilton or factory shop manual?

I am thinking of replacing the filter in my 1994 Prizm. A245E is my transmission type, as far as I know Toyota used this transmission till 2006 or 2007.

I wanted to do it as you did, by just draining and re-filling.But there might be pieces,dirt trapped in the filter,a change might be better service.The only thing scares me is if the new gasket does not seal the pan and as a result getting leaks where there was none before the service.Any advice about dropping the pan,replacing the filter and sealing/putting a new gasket on the pan?

We have just the owners manual. My parents have not purchased a haynes/ chilton manual yet because they have not needed to do any work on the car (just oil changes).

If I knew their was a filter I would have replaced it. I have done it on a number of cars before and having a drain plug in the pan would make it much easier.

If you want advice on not getting leaks than make sure you really clean the area where the gasket will go and make sure not to over-tighten the bolts holding it on.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I know my Trans have a spin-on filter in early years and current models overseas like in Africa. Some models had a replaceable filter, mine has a screen because I saw it at the dealer.

That sounds really nice and really easy. Every other auto I have changed fluid on I always have to do a balancing act to get the pan off and not spill a ton of fluid on myself or the ground.

Yeah but mine is a screen in the pan and it's a "Life-Time" never change type apparently.

Has been fine for the 320K KM's (192K miles) I have run the truck and just changed the fluid via the drain-plug in the pan.

My pan is on the side of the transmission in the front and not the bottom so I don't really want to unbolt it.

I will just assume it's fine until it needs rebuilding...
lol.gif

I was thinking of a Magenfine filter but the connections to the transmission are the Banjo (sp?) type and I don't want to mess with them.

Transmission shifts smooth with the Amsoil ATF so I leave it alone.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Yeah,tell me about screens in their. My RX was supposed to be a screen in their too. I dropped the pan,and it was a paper filter!
54.gif

Same with the Sienna - it was an SPX Filtran filter similar to what Detroit uses. The dirtiest ATF I saw was on the parent's Prius with 25K on it!

Maybe I will take the pan off mine... Maybe not... I dunno... It's a lot of work and I have a ton of miles on it and it feels great.

I have a magnetic oil plug for my transmission and I always wipe the small amount of debris that shows up on it between changes.

Originally Posted By: J_Sap

That sounds really nice and really easy. Every other auto I have changed fluid on I always have to do a balancing act to get the pan off and not spill a ton of fluid on myself or the ground.

The trick is to start a cooler line fluid exchange and stop at the first evolution THEN drop the almost empty pan.

Most start with the filter swap and then do the exchange.

I'm exceptionally lazy (I prefer the term "efficiency expert"), so I am automatically geared to the least amount of pain and the most amount of post job planting of my behind in a chair ..and still get the job done.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: J_Sap

The trick is to start a cooler line fluid exchange and stop at the first evolution THEN drop the almost empty pan.

Most start with the filter swap and then do the exchange.

I'm exceptionally lazy (I prefer the term "efficiency expert"), so I am automatically geared to the least amount of pain and the most amount of post job planting of my behind in a chair ..and still get the job done.
grin2.gif

My dad always said:

The lazy engineer is the best engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back