Why did Ford go from 5W20 to 5W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like they found a way to both get their MPG numbers to where they want without the watery thin oil. This means less warranty claim work for them.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Looks like they found a way to both get their MPG numbers to where they want without the watery thin oil. This means less warranty claim work for them.

crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

crazy2.gif

Nobody went for it
frown.gif
57.gif

Originally Posted By: BufordTJustice

I have a buddy who runs a local repo operation and he runs F450s with Triton V10s. Has had 4 trucks cease up from piston scoring over a relatively short period...all of which were replaced under warranty by the dealer. They still force him to use 5w-20 (Penz Plat in this case)

4 trucks with seized piston skirts just from using 5W-20? Come on, man. I'm not doubting that he told you that, but seized skirts aren't a problem on any Modular Ford and many of these engines run hundreds of thousands of miles on 5w-20. I'm not the biggest fan of 5w-20, but something doesn't ring true here. There is more to this story than just the 5w-20 oil....

Having seen firsthand the difference in top end wear between 5w20 and 5w30 modular V8s, i would never use 20w in one. By 200k, 5w20 motors have flat spots on the cams that you can see with the naked eye and feel with your finger. 30w motors don't. Nor do they come in for timing jobs near as often. The higest mileage 5w20 4.6 i service has 250k and feels it. The higest mileage 5w30 4.6 i service has 645k, no joke. And runs better than the 20w engine. Both examples have 5k ocis and almost all highway miles.

Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
Having seen firsthand the difference in top end wear between 5w20 and 5w30 modular V8s, i would never use 20w in one. By 200k, 5w20 motors have flat spots on the cams that you can see with the naked eye and feel with your finger. 30w motors don't. Nor do they come in for timing jobs near as often. The higest mileage 5w20 4.6 i service has 250k and feels it. The higest mileage 5w30 4.6 i service has 645k, no joke. And runs better than the 20w engine. Both examples have 5k ocis and almost all highway miles.

That's odd. Hundreds of thousands of Ford engines are on the road dating back 15 years and aren't having that problem. Including mine. UOA don't show high metals with 20wt oils either.
Trolling.gif

Last edited:

That's odd. Hundreds of thousands of Ford engines are on the road dating back 15 years and aren't having that problem. Including mine. UOA don't show high metals with 20wt oils either.
Trolling.gif

There is a difference between (passenger car) typical super light duty use and heavy duty use, when push comes to shove.

Originally Posted By: zeng

Trolling.gif

There is a difference between (passenger car) typical super light duty use and heavy duty use, when push comes to shove.[/quot
Originally Posted By: zeng
KMJ1992 said:

Trolling.gif

There is a difference between (passenger car) typical super light duty use and heavy duty use, when push comes to shove.

Trolling.gif

Including 4.6 V8s in trucks, vans, and cars all over America.
33.gif

Last edited:
KMJ1992 was giving HIS experience in fleets with high miles, that he's seen personnally. Just like you can espoise your stellar experiences, this is another in a different field stating what he's seen.

How many consumer vehicles are still on the road at 200k miles to be looked at ?
How many of those owners would LOOK at the top end, let alone do a UOA ?

Me
laugh.gif

I don't even think of parting out an EFI engine short of 250,000 miles - usually. When I knock one down, you bet I look at the top end to see what's re-usable
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
... How many consumer vehicles are still on the road at 200k miles to be looked at ?
How many of those owners would LOOK at the top end, let alone do a UOA ?
Many, including mine and my brother's, by far. No "top end" wear issues, either.

Wive drives an f150, 2010, we use 5w20,,,that engine has always ticked,, don't know why, lots of fords due that,, weird isn't it.

Thicker oil doesn’t do anything for it. I use a thick ZDDP additive in my F150along with 5W20. It still has a slight tick. I actually think the tick is the injectors actuating.

]
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Wive drives an f150, 2010, we use 5w20,,,that engine has always ticked,, don't know why, lots of fords due that,, weird isn't it.

I also can hear the injectors on my Ford Duratech 4s. Sounds cool. 425K with 20wt oils and counting.

Last edited:
In my 07 Mustang i use 3 quarts of m1 5w30 and 2 quarts m1 5w 20......so i get a m1 5w 26? used this combo since i bought the car with 18k miles .....now has 55k.

When considering trucks employed in truck service ... recommending 20 weight oil over 30 weight, is nonsensical when 30 weight offers better protection under load with no quantifiable downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back