Why bother with a synthetic blend ?

I frequently buy and use various synthetic blends of 10w40 in the warmer months, the price is good, the specs are good, and I change my oil every 3k so it makes no difference to me.

I don't really get hung up on the synthetic vs blend or even conventional, lots of synthetic oil is really just extremely hydrocracked petroleum, I don't think any real conventional exists nowadays and among major brands synthetic is really just a marketing term. A good example is Castrol Edge synthetic 10w-40 vs Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40 blend. Both have similar pour points, viscosity index, and CCS numbers, but that Valvoline has an HTHS of 4, while the Castrol is 3.6, IMO that alone shows the Valvoline is superior, despite not being "fully synthetic".

I use it because Orscheln runs frequent $1.99/qt sales on it, it has given me excellent UOAs when running it 7k miles…and I own stock in Phillips 66.
1640345659040.jpeg

I use dino 30 weight for my old tractors. Other than that i buy only full syn oil now.
Any dino oil i have or any possible blended will get used up first for generators or lawn mowers / snow blowers where the oil gets changed at about ten hours. Which could be every other year.

I need to pull and look at all my oil and antifreeze and organize them this spring. Had tons of oil for my daughters old cobalt. Which was 5 w 30 or maybe 10 w 30 but might not have been other than dino oil.

I frequently buy and use various synthetic blends of 10w40 in the warmer months, the price is good, the specs are good, and I change my oil every 3k so it makes no difference to me.

I don't really get hung up on the synthetic vs blend or even conventional, lots of synthetic oil is really just extremely hydrocracked petroleum, I don't think any real conventional exists nowadays and among major brands synthetic is really just a marketing term. A good example is Castrol Edge synthetic 10w-40 vs Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40 blend. Both have similar pour points, viscosity index, and CCS numbers, but that Valvoline has an HTHS of 4, while the Castrol is 3.6, IMO that alone shows the Valvoline is superior, despite not being "fully synthetic".
What is HTHS ??? AND WHAT IS A GOOD VALUE

What is HTHS ??? AND WHAT IS A GOOD VALUE

Five seconds.

I use it because Orscheln runs frequent $1.99/qt sales on it, it has given me excellent UOAs when running it 7k miles…and I own stock in Phillips 66.
View attachment 81998
Phillips 66 - Shield Choice 10W30 synthetic blend made to API SP standard, and sold at a good price, and used for a sensible interval of 7k miles.

Sounds perfect to me.

Most engines don't require fancy "approval" oils ... People and definitely most on bitog, get somewhat scared and want to use the "best" oil and oil companies know that and they try to milk the consumer.
If it's cheaper (high volume) for them to make "synthetic" (real definition of which is a mystery) and have a bigger profit margin, then they'll push that.
race car drivers need syn so will you and your little Accord or Corolla for racing at the top speed of 50mph going to work ...

dino or blend profit margin is probably not much in US, so it's going out the door ... while the rest of the world still uses dino.

I've had many cars going over 200K, 300K and even 400K miles using 10W-40 dino even during very cold winter temps in Idaho but these days if you don't use 0W syn over there, they'll send you to jail.

Most engines don't require fancy "approval" oils ... People and definitely most on bitog, get somewhat scared and want to use the "best" oil and oil companies know that and they try to milk the consumer.
If it's cheaper (high volume) for them to make "synthetic" (real definition of which is a mystery) and have a bigger profit margin, then they'll push that.
race car drivers need syn so will you and your little Accord or Corolla for racing at the top speed of 50mph going to work ...

dino or blend profit margin is probably not much in US, so it's going out the door ... while the rest of the world still uses dino.

I've had many cars going over 200K, 300K and even 400K miles using 10W-40 dino even during very cold winter temps in Idaho but these days if you don't use 0W syn over there, they'll send you to jail.
I think a lot of the 0W synthetic craze is a combination of fuel economy regulations and the long oil change interval many manufacturers push nowadays. If Jim Bob drives 3 miles to work every day in below freezing weather running dino 15w-40 and only changes his oil every 10k he'll get terrible fuel economy and his engine will probably sludge up.

Not a trick question. I really am curious to know the reasoning or appeal of buying a blend vs conventional or a full synthetic product .

Do any synthetic blend products actually list the ratio of synthetic to conventional oil on the label ?

Is there any way for a consumer to know if they are getting a 50% / 50% blend or a 1% / 99% blend ?

Z
Schaeffer's 7000 Blend (75% GII+ / 25% GIV PAO) routinely held up to extended drains. The Pennzoil Gold Blend (50% GIl+/50% GIII) did an admirable job as well.

If you are shopping a high end blend against a low end synthetic the choice isn't that clear cut.

If you are shopping the Blend vs Synthetic in the same line with a $0.50 per quart difference in price then the odds likely favor the Synthetic if you are looking for best odds of going a longer drain interval.

Last edited:
Today you really don't come across multi-weight oil in conventional just about everything is full synthetic and blend. For cars that have direct injection and follow a severe oil change interval a synthetic blend may be a better choice even though pricing isn't much of a difference between the two.

I have owned two brand new Ford vehicles. I have no problem using their synthetic blend, or any other for that matter. In my chevy, I find that I use synthetic more often because of the Dexos requirement. On a side note, I owned an Equinox, and when I didn't use Dexos, I had to replace a cam sensor.

Blends are still excellent oils, and probably better than oil 20 years ago. So particularly in older vehicles the blends are better than what it originally came with!

Blends make sense IMO for older and less valuable vehicles, or vehicles not driven extremely hard, vehicles for short trips, or not driven much were oil change frequencies occur based primarily on age (6-12 months) and oil with low miles on it is being dumped out.

Newer extremely expensive vehicles, or those driven hard, lots of miles between OCIs, etc. all justify the added costs of premium synthetics.

Blends are still excellent oils, and probably better than oil 20 years ago. So particularly in older vehicles the blends are better than what it originally came with!

Blends make sense IMO for older and less valuable vehicles, or vehicles not driven extremely hard, vehicles for short trips, or not driven much were oil change frequencies occur based primarily on age (6-12 months) and oil with low miles on it is being dumped out.

Newer extremely expensive vehicles, or those driven hard, lots of miles between OCIs, etc. all justify the added costs of premium synthetics.
There isn't a huge difference (if any) in wear or longevity between synthetic and blend so long as it's changed frequently. Semi trucks, cabs, and fleet vehicles can go hundreds of thousands of miles on conventional or blend 15w-40.

NAPA has 5 quart jugs of synthetic blend (made by Valvoline) on sale right now for $12.99. That seems like a pretty good reason to use it, especially if you’re doing short interval changes.

Back