Why bother with a synthetic blend ?

Your engine will not know the difference between a blend and a full synthetic. In the last few decades nobody here has worn out an engine using an oil that met manufacturer spec changed per spec.
Dear David,
Although your message is grounded and accurate, it will unfortunately fall onto many deaf ears here.

Kindest regards,
Johnmpb

Your engine will not know the difference between a blend and a full synthetic. In the last few decades nobody here has worn out an engine using an oil that met manufacturer spec changed per spec.

That does leave the elephant in the room. Some manufacturers specs make formulating a blend difficult.

But I get your drift. Buy by the spec and ignore the marketing (Blend vs Synthetic).

I'm just shopping the cheapest D1G3 I can buy. Right now that's labeled a Synthetic and $3.33 qt. If someone comes out with a D1G3 Blend for $2.99 I'll be all over it.

Not a trick question. I really am curious to know the reasoning or appeal of buying a blend vs conventional or a full synthetic product .

Do any synthetic blend products actually list the ratio of synthetic to conventional oil on the label ?

Is there any way for a consumer to know if they are getting a 50% / 50% blend or a 1% / 99% blend ?

Z

This was an interesting read. Not 100% sure if it's true or not.

Back