Why are you still buying tires online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
If and when I end up online it's to get the exact tires I want. Fairly often the local dealer doesn't have what I'm looking for.

Yep, I think that's a common complaint. As for pricing, one should take a look at tire pricing in Canada, and then compare that to the Tire Rack and its ilk.
wink.gif

When I have a local farm supply store that will run a "Buy 3, get 1 free" deal 3 or 4 times a year... and usually at the same time that Cooper is running a $70-$80 off a set rebate deal, there's not a lot a reason to buy on-line.

Plus, they'll mount and road-force balance for $15 a corner.

The last set of tires I bought online was a set of Goodyear ComforTred Touring... mainly because there wasn't a local option for those.

For me it's a "grab the best deal" situation. I'm happy to use the local guys for as little or as much as I need them.

Last year I canceled on online order for Winter tires from tirerack.com when it got back ordered for 2 more months (not much point in running worn-out tires for Dec-Jan and putting on Winter tires for just February). I got the same Winter tires at my local shop. Then in Spring I got my new all-seasons online at a great discount, and mounted/balanced at another local shop, who did a good job.

I like Costco, they are competitive price wise. Otherwise I buy online and have my Indy mount them. For me it is easier to take the wheels off a vehicle and drop them off on my way to work and pick them up on the way home.

I used to do track side service and had all the equipment to mount and balance tires in a trailer, so I know what it involves and am happy to pay someone for the labor.

I don't like dealing with salespeople. I don't want their private brand equivalent, I want a specific tire. I cross shop online for the best price but beyond that I don't bother checking any of the local tire shops. I couldn't care less if I saved $20 or lost $40 buying online.

Is this a joke? There is NO WAY I would have found the last two sets of snow tires and winter wheels locally. They were lower cost AND I chose what I wanted. And they came mounted and balanced.

Using words like "only" and "I cannot imagine" are limiting and are causing you to indeed miss "something".

Originally Posted By: AjsGarage
Why do I read about SO MANY people buying tires online from Amazon, tirerack, etc?

The ONLY way I see buying tires online possibly making financial sense is if you have the ability to mount, balance, and rotate them yourself for free.

Perhaps. Or since you often have to pay for this anyway, either bundled into the cost of the tire or as an additional fee, it's still possible consumer can save enough to make it work.

I cannot imagine this many people having their own tire machine and balancer, so I have to assume most take the tires to a shop to get mounted.

Or their buddies shop, or see above, it's not that big a deal.

After factoring in the fees to get mounted, balanced, are you really still saving money? $20 saved on a tire price suddenly can be spent to get it professionally mounted and balanced.

You do realize some tire sites charge for shipping right? Do you factor the shipping costs into your "savings" ?

Again, even shops have tires shipped to them. If you show up at your local shop and request a P195-50-16, chances are they don't have it. The price for someone to bring 1-4 of those from the warehouse, if they even have your tire in stock is built into the price.

Might cost more, for a same day courier than for a 3 day FedEx or UPS shipment.

It's not always guaranteed that Online Tire+Shipping is more.

Do you consider the cost of rotating too? Rotations are free at most shops if you purchase tires there. Rotation is KEY to long tire life, and on some sportier/fancier cars, a PROPER rotation REQUIRES a tire machine to flip directional tires, and cannot be done at home by Joe Q Public.
Having to pay for rotations adds up.

Possibly. Of course, when Joe Q Public paid to have them mounted and balanced, it may have included these services.

How do you handle warranty issues? What do you do if the tire has a defect such as separated belts (which was common on brand new goodyear tripple treads for a long time) or sidewall bulges? Does the online supplier reimburse you to cover the cost of getting the defective tire dismounted and a replacement tire re-mounted/balanced?

Never had to do this with a on-line purchased tire. I suspect it's more hassle than a shop.... sometimes.

Here is MY experience working in an independent tire shop

We bought from over 9 tire suppliers, meaning our prices were most of the time lower then anything you could find online.

And how much were they marked up? Sure, you could get them for less, but how much did Joe Q Public pay for them when he rolled out of the shop?

The old guy working up front was selling tires for many years, and knew all there was to know about tires. He could recommend a great tire for a car that you never thought about putting on it, and that was better then you were initially going for. Most independent tire shops have an old guy like this.

Maybe. You can't base a decision for all of use based on your great "old guy."

Further, in the age of the internet, it's quite possible a number of Joe Q Publics know about that tire already.

If they don't, then how obscure is the tire and will they be able to get that warranty adjustment from an off-brand tire when they move from one coast to another?

We handled warranty issues, and ate the cost of fixing the issue. Customer came in with issue, and left with new tire, no questions asked, no talking to tire companies.

That's great. If someone planned to stay in your area and didn't travel, sounds like you provide great customer service.

However, you can't extrapolate that all tire dealers do this.

We rotated and inflated tires for the life of the tire, FREE.
(people who didnt buy tires from us paid I think $20 a rotation)

I read invoices, I saw them in person, and did not see how you could save over our final "out the door and on the road" price by buying online, unless you did everything yourself on your own equipment for next to nothing.

But are you the exception or the rule? In my experience, the local chain tire shop wants $90 for a "shim kit" when they do a wheel alignment on my car. I think they can get packages of hundreds of shims for about a buck a shim give or take.

So that $80 or whatever alignment turns into a $170 job.

So those who get HUGE savings buying tires online, please tell me how you do it, because I really do not understand! I love saving money, just like everyone, so maybe I am just missing something here?

Rant, over

Because you run or work in a good shop, you find it hard to imagine what Joe Q Public experiences when he buys tires. For every shop like yours, there are likely dozens that are not in the same league. They look at customers as wells of money to drill into, trying to extract the maximum number of dollars, instead of offering the kind of service you mention.

Online tire dealers wouldn't exist if every tire experience was like you described.

Read the comments. Few are describing experiences like your service. They run to the online retailers because they don't like what they experience at the shops that are not doing it they you describe your service.

If your service is what you say it is, you probably don't even need to advertise. Customers tell others and consumers flock to the shop because you've struck the right balance of price and excellent service compared to your competitors, including the on-line model.

OP
my last tire purchase had so many rebats from discount tire direct, that FOUR tires came out to well under $150 for H727 tires. Free shipping, no sales tax. Pay to have them mounted, then I do my own rotations. Under $250 installed. Can't be touched by any local shop price. It would be insulting to ask. They can't offer those rebate deals (we don't have DT/Amer. Tire locally).

That's why I buy and continue to buy them online.

Originally Posted By: Traction
You would not think it is too much, until you buy all the correct equipment, and do the physical work yourself, and correctly. Plus it would take you a couple hours minimum at that. As a private tire installer, I have to install 25 tires per month, just to cover my own insurance costs, and sometimes I put on less, and go backwards.

Don't blow smoke up my tukhus. I HAVE mounted tires...I can mount and balance four in about half an hour. I could swap (and have swapped) six tires on a dually in about an hour.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Traction
You would not think it is too much, until you buy all the correct equipment, and do the physical work yourself, and correctly. Plus it would take you a couple hours minimum at that. As a private tire installer, I have to install 25 tires per month, just to cover my own insurance costs, and sometimes I put on less, and go backwards.

Don't blow smoke up my tukhus. I HAVE mounted tires...I can mount and balance four in about half an hour. I could swap (and have swapped) six tires on a dually in about an hour.

It isn't about how fast I can mount/balance a set of tires, but doing it the best I can. It usually take me 2 hours dealing with low profile tires. By the time you remove the wheels, dismount the tires, take the wheel outside to buff the corrosion off the wheel, change the valve stem, lube the tire/wheel, then mount the tire, inflate it, deflate it, refill with N2, then get out the flange plate for the balancer, apply tape weight with masking tape, several check spins to get it perfect, clean surface apply weights, put back on the car, and torque by hand. And some cars you have to deal with beat up lug nuts, and wheels corroded to the hub. Unless it is 4 loose steel wheel, it is very seldom a half hour job IMO. Couple days ago, I installed a set of online bought 30 series tires for a 05 Ferrari. Took 2 round trips to the customers garage, back to my shop, to pull 2 at a time, and install. Took 3 hours, and charged $21 per tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I like Costco, they are competitive price wise. Otherwise I buy online and have my Indy mount them. For me it is easier to take the wheels off a vehicle and drop them off on my way to work and pick them up on the way home.

I used to do track side service and had all the equipment to mount and balance tires in a trailer, so I know what it involves and am happy to pay someone for the labor.

Yes, Costco offers a competitive package over the life of the tire. The objection is that if you don't want the two or three brands they offer, one needs to go elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: CKN
I was willing to buy at a local Discount Tire store. The guy behind the counter tried to sell me an inferior tire to the one I was inquiring about because that's what he had in stock.

When you buy over the web you don't have to listen to that B.S.

+1 for the above comment. Local retailers will always push whatever they happen to have in stock. when you ask for a specific tire, they always have to order it and get it there whenever it gets there anyway.

I don't buy anything, tires included, unless I shop it pretty hard. Tires? I'm not one to walk into a tire store and buy whatever they have. I'm generally looking for something specific. The lone exception to that in recent memory is a set for my son's Element. He was leaving on an extended trip and ruined a tire the day before. I sent him to Walmart and they mounted a set of Dextero's (that's what they had and [censored] they were cheap).....which have proven to be outstanding tires. Other than that in the last few years I've found that buying online has come out cheaper.
It is possible to come up with a total mounted price using either method....online or retailer, surprises are not necessary and are easy to avoid. I am blessed with a local tire store that doesn't care where you buy them. He charges $60 to mount and balance a set and in discussing where I came up with the tires he told me he figures the money he makes mounting and balancing my online tires is $60 he didn't have before he spent a few minutes taking care of me.

Last edited:
I used to be able to save a lot of money ordering online, but now Costco provides a pretty good value with free rotation and balancing. However, my understanding is that Tire Rack devotes a good deal of their business selling to wholesale to retail stores.

I suppose where Tire Rack and other retailers might be a great bargain is if new tires/wheels are purchased as a complete set. Apparently they'll mount and balance them at no extra charge for the buyer to install. I suppose not everyone is getting new wheels, but quite a few people do - especially if it's a winter set.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/motorsport...ed-and-balanced

Of course TPMS may be an issue.

In my case, as a private installer, 75% of my business is putting on tires bought online. I even send customers online, because in most cases, they can buy them cheaper than I can buy wholesale. If there was a internet tax, that would a game changer.

After the same over and over horrible experience with buying tires locally getting ripped off and end up not getting the tires you want, I have never bought tires again locally. Here in NYC, most of the tire shops and repair shops are out to get the most money they can. It is crazy out here. There is no joy and peace of mind comparable when buying tires you researched online and at a great forum like BITOG. Also, I've tried Mavis to price match a Conti DW summer tire a few months ago, and they never came close to the price I paid when DTD had the eBay rebate sale plus manufacturers rebates even after mount and balance. I need to shop for winter tires now. Internet sales are coming up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back