Why are you still buying tires online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to buy online, but I bought from local America's Tire the last 6-7 years.

I research what brand/model I like best(value+performance) and find the best price online. Print the total price (shipping +tax included if applicable) and had America's Tire price match.

This way I have local services plus the low price.

Originally Posted By: Traction
[Maybe 1 tire out of a 100 doesn't need balanced.

I think it's more like 1 in 3 that doesn't need balancing. Once I got three out of four that were good to go.

^ happened to me on my most recent set of 4 as well. 3 did not need to be balanced.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
[Maybe 1 tire out of a 100 doesn't need balanced.

I think it's more like 1 in 3 that doesn't need balancing. Once I got three out of four that were good to go.

I was being generous with the comment of 1 out of a 100 doesn't need balanced. It is more like 1 out of a 1000. You just got lucky. And as far as buying tires online, it always comes down to availability, and costs. Some tires, even buying from a dealer, they will order from tirerack, or whoever anyway for some. I can buy wholesale, but I usually end up buying online for my own vehicles. And, there is no such thing as free shipping!!! It should be called shipping included. Also as far as having to pay a little extra for mounting and balancing for tire you bought, has anyone tried to buy their favorite steak at the butcher, and take it in to your favorite restaurant and cook it for free?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Sometimes, Tirerack has some smokin deals on closeout tires and wheels.

But, if you buy at their normal price, you are going to be right on par with Discount Tire's everyday price.

I don't buy on price alone, but that is a big factor for me.

In regards to finding a shop to mount a tire I bought online.. I was never able to find a shop that will mount and balance, and dispose of an old tire, and move over the TPMS sensor, and rebuild it for a cheap price and do it the right way. Then reset the sensor with a scan gun.

Sounds like you need to check DTD's list of preferred installers.

I like to order tires online and then ship to store. Walmart, Pep Boys, Costco, and most of the mid-size regional chains (Mr, Tire, Mavis, STS, etc) have this option. And of course, Discount Tire does this if there is one nearby.

I've even heard some small local tire shops stop selling tires altogether and just direct people to Tire Rack and other sites.

You need to crunch the numbers to see if buying online will save you money. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

Some of the claims made by people often (like "you can't get free rotates and balances) aren't true. The tires I've bought online I always got free rotates and balances after having them mounted at my local Firestone Complete Auto Care.

I've saved big money in the past buying tires online. But now we have Discount Tire in my area, and they'll match most online deals.

Sales tax should never enter the equation. You supposed to pay the sales tax for internet purchases as part of your state tax return. It's this way in PA.

Also as far as having to pay a little extra for mounting and balancing for tire you bought, has anyone tried to buy their favorite steak at the butcher, and take it in to your favorite restaurant and cook it for free?

No, but I can certainly take it home, add a bit of salt and pepper, let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour at room temperature, while the grill heats up, and cook it myself. Toss some cauliflower or brussel sprouts in the steamer, add some butter, salt and pepper to those, and I have a tasty dinner for less than what my favorite restaurant charges.

Just like I can install my motorcycle tires at home, and balance them myself for less than at a motorcycle shop.

BC.

Originally Posted By: AjsGarage
I cannot imagine

That's your problem right there.

You don't want to believe something is true, so in your mind, it can't possibly be.
Lots of people have this affliction, typically manifests with their political rants.

People have been doing this for ages, and saving money, and resolving warranty issues.

Just because you don't think it's possible, doesn't make it so.

BC.

I was willing to buy at a local Discount Tire store. The guy behind the counter tried to sell me an inferior tire to the one I was inquiring about because that's what he had in stock.

When you buy over the web you don't have to listen to that B.S.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I'd assume the OPer is just trying to drum up business, but I found his post to be insulting.
I know how much the tire shop I like to use charges to mount and balance tires, and I can also figure out how much TireRack is going to charge to ship the tires to me. I do my research, relying heavily on TireRack.com, and usually figure out what it's going to cost to get the 2 or 3 models I'm interested in from that site shipped to me and then mounted at my local shop. I then call that local shop and get their price on those same tires...if they're within $40 or so, they get the business because I like them. Sometimes, they're cheaper...when I ordered decent wheels along with my last set of winter tires, I saved over $400 online because the local shop couldn't even remotely approach the TireRack price for the wheels. Was going to put them on myself and have the dealer register the new TPMS sensors, but those gougers wanted $50 for something that probably takes less than a minute...the shop I like put the tires on and took care of the sensors for $20. Because they treat me right, they get a shot at winning the business for my next set of tires.
Don't care about free rotation or anything else because that shop is too far away for small services like that...the tire places nearby are incompetent and/or crooked.
It's not rocket science or even lawn science, people understand about shipping and installation...cmon.

You'd assume wrong, I'm out of the business. Just sharing what I've seen first handed when I was in the business.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
I cannot imagine

That's your problem right there.

You don't want to believe something is true, so in your mind, it can't possibly be.
Lots of people have this affliction, typically manifests with their political rants.

People have been doing this for ages, and saving money, and resolving warranty issues.

Just because you don't think it's possible, doesn't make it so.

BC.

On the topic of "political rants", its common for critics of information, like yourself, to quote out of context to forward an agenda.
If you expand the little slice of my post you quoted, it would read: "I cannot imagine this many people having their own tire machine and balancer, so I have to assume most take the tires to a shop to get mounted. "
Also, you never once touched on the portion of my post in which you referenced. Do you have your own tire machine and balancer? Most of the other posts here reflect my imagination and support the assumption that most take these online purchases to a shop to get mounted/balanced.

But thanks for adding nothing to the thread, I'm glad the world has people like you with nothing better to do. Makes things interesting.

To all of those who were actually productive in this thread, great responses! A lot of you are turning me on to the "way of the tire deals".

Another thought provoking question:
Do you find online sites sales/rebates to be better then comparable tire dealer sales/rebates? Have you found one to be more often better then the other, or really is it a grab the best deal situation?

Do you find online sites sales/rebates to be better then comparable tire dealer sales/rebates? Have you found one to be more often better then the other, or really is it a grab the best deal situation?

For me, it's a grab the best deal situation

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I really sick of getting ripped off on tire balance. 25 bucks is way too much for a 3 minute procedure. I was able to get a discount tire tech to do 4 mount only for 20. He just put the money in his pocket. In don't think modern tires need balance.

$25 might seem like too much. Have you priced how much a good wheel balancer costs? Let alone how much it costs to operate a business, and pay the employees? They are lucky if they made $5. Maybe 1 tire out of a 100 doesn't need balanced. Your wheels are very seldom balanced, even without tires. And as far as lifetime balance goes, unless you have a vibration issue, you might have one after a re-balance. Most tires will run their lifetime on the original balance.

When you think about 25 bucks to mount and balance an 80 dollar tire, it seems really high. How can a manufacturer make a tire so cheap? I've watched these guys mount and balance tires. Its about 3 minutes each. Its a huge profit racket.

Import tarrifs have doubled prices. I got my last tires for 80 now they're 150. They've expired yet prices remain high.

Forget it if you're a woman buying tires. They steal women blind.

A year ago October 1st, I showed my local Discount Tire the Tirebuyer.com price for a set of 4 General Altimax RT43's. Since Tirebuyer will ship free to a local installer, there is no shipping cost. Since Discount Tire Direct at the time carried the General Altimax RT43, my local Discount Tire price BEAT the Tirebuyer.com price by a a few dollars and just ordered internally via DTD with my order arriving at their store for install 2 days later. A set of 4, 195/70/14's, installed, with free lifetime balance and rotation, for $331.41.....$281.41 total after I redeemed the $50 gift card promotion General was offering at the time (had to reorder the gift card as the supposed first one was a "no show")

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

It's also nice to have a set of tires you actually want sitting in the garage waiting for the date you choose to have them mounted, probably right before the snow flies.

It's even better when they're on their own rims so you can do it yourself. Tire shops have enough going on, the first snowy day.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Sales tax should never enter the equation. You supposed to pay the sales tax for internet purchases as part of your state tax return. It's this way in PA.

This why it isn't fair to small business. All internet sales should be taxed!

I really sick of getting ripped off on tire balance. 25 bucks is way too much for a 3 minute procedure. I was able to get a discount tire tech to do 4 mount only for 20. He just put the money in his pocket. In don't think modern tires need balance.

$25 might seem like too much. Have you priced how much a good wheel balancer costs? Let alone how much it costs to operate a business, and pay the employees? They are lucky if they made $5. Maybe 1 tire out of a 100 doesn't need balanced. Your wheels are very seldom balanced, even without tires. And as far as lifetime balance goes, unless you have a vibration issue, you might have one after a re-balance. Most tires will run their lifetime on the original balance.

When you think about 25 bucks to mount and balance an 80 dollar tire, it seems really high. How can a manufacturer make a tire so cheap? I've watched these guys mount and balance tires. Its about 3 minutes each. Its a huge profit racket.

Import tarrifs have doubled prices. I got my last tires for 80 now they're 150. They've expired yet prices remain high.

You would not think it is too much, until you buy all the correct equipment, and do the physical work yourself, and correctly. Plus it would take you a couple hours minimum at that. As a private tire installer, I have to install 25 tires per month, just to cover my own insurance costs, and sometimes I put on less, and go backwards.

$25 might seem like too much. Have you priced how much a good wheel balancer costs? Let alone how much it costs to operate a business, and pay the employees? They are lucky if they made $5. Maybe 1 tire out of a 100 doesn't need balanced. Your wheels are very seldom balanced, even without tires. And as far as lifetime
balance goes, unless you have a vibration issue, you might have one after a re-balance. Most tires will run their lifetime on the original balance.

I worked at a small Ford dealership. Our technicians were the ones mounting and balancing the tires. Book time was 3/10ths, or 18 minutes. At $80 per hour, that was about $24 per tire. But, we put little or no markup on the tires. We made our money on the labor. The technicians need to make a living some way. Their time is valuable too.

If and when I end up online it's to get the exact tires I want. Fairly often the local dealer doesn't have what I'm looking for.

I don't like to settle for the cheapies offered that are in stock.yes, I know they can order too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back