Why are some trying to thicken their oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read several post about people trying to thicken their oil by adding VSOT (not sure what that is) or by other means, and I'm not talking about old, worn out engines. I've been reading about people doing this in healthy engines. Why? I ask because so many people rave about synthetic and how well it flows, but then you have others trying to thicken the #@$%! out of their oil. I thought from reading here on BITOG that thinner oil that stays in grade is better. One particular memeber (Tallpaul) talks a lot about using Maxlife. I'm using Maxlife right now in one of my cars, but not so sure I want to stay with it. Although Maxlife is a GREAT oil with an excellent add package, my engines are always tuned and running perfectly, which leads me to beleive I should be running a good energy conserving oil in them. Any ideas on this line of thought?

What car/year are we talking about and what grade of oil do they recommend? Both of my cars have high mileage and I am presently using Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 but after reading more on the forums and seeing the UOA's will probably switch to Castrol GTX 10w40. There just doesn't seem to be much sense in paying for synthetic if I am sticking with a max 7500 OCI's. Castrol GTX can even get near 10k OCI so it makes more sense to go that way for my needs.

I've asked myself this same question innumerable times m8 and cannot figure out why some want to risk destabilising a complex chemical mix because of some third-rate marketing scheme.
crazy.gif

Seem to me they would be better off selecting a quality oil from the beginning.

I'm talking about perfectly tuned engines of any mileage. Heck, my van has 76k, and my Chevy Lumina has 135k. Neither of which burns oil, or leaks oil and both engines have been tuned up within the last year. But, this isn't about my engines, it's about any engine. So many people wanting to thicken their oil, both in newer engines, and those with some miles on them, yet they are still in "like new" operational performance. So why? Also, why is Super Tech High Mileage energy conserving, while Valvoline Maxlife and Castrol HM are not?

I have to agree that If I wanted thick oil, i would rather use thick oil rather than attemtping to thicken oil on my own.

SFCP: VSOT is valvoline synthetic oil treatment. It is loaded with moly and zinc i believe. Some may be adding it to their oil, not so much to thicken it, but to raise certain additive levels for engines and/or valvetrains designed with pre-SM oils in mind.

Why someone would use this on a brand new car, i'm not sure.

TallPaul and others don't use VSOT to thicken their oil. VSOT is used by people who want to beef up the additive package in their oil. VSOT is loaded with moly in addition to zddp and calcium. Rightly or wrongly, the goal of VSOT and SLOB users is to increase additive levels, not thicken the oil.

If your going to worry about "thick" oils, I guess GC is out?
dunno.gif

Quote:

I've read several post about people trying to thicken their oil by adding VSOT (not sure what that is) or by other means, and I'm not talking about old, worn out engines. I've been reading about people doing this in healthy engines. Why? I ask because so many people rave about synthetic and how well it flows, but then you have others trying to thicken the #@$%! out of their oil. I thought from reading here on BITOG that thinner oil that stays in grade is better. One particular memeber (Tallpaul) talks a lot about using Maxlife. I'm using Maxlife right now in one of my cars, but not so sure I want to stay with it. Although Maxlife is a GREAT oil with an excellent add package, my engines are always tuned and running perfectly, which leads me to beleive I should be running a good energy conserving oil in them. Any ideas on this line of thought?

I read all the discussions on VSOT at this website - mainly because I use the product. I don't recall anyone using it just to thicken their oil. I do recall posters using it for beefing the add-packs & seeking better engine performance.

Have you tried emailing or private messaging the VSOT-users that wants it for thickening purposes?

Since I started using VSOT in newer vehicles, my NORMAL consumption issues that arrive as the vehicle ages - meaning all my past vehicles until now -- has ceased. I have purchased many new vehicles in the past - so I have plenty of "first & last owner" experience on oil use & when to expect it. I keep my vehicles until they are graveyard-ready 16-19 years later & up until this vehicle I'm driving right now, I could almost estimate when oil use would begin.

I don't add oil anymore since I begun using VSOT "regularly"... meaning between 6K OCIs in my Colorado 4X4. I thought I needed to add a little oil last week in my Colorado 4X4 for the very first time - until I found an opened half-bottle of Mobil-1 EP in my basement - that I forgot to use when doing the oil change last fall. I normally fill the vertical filter first - before mounting it. But somehow I forgot to do that last time-out. That means I've been driving this Colorado 4X4 a half-quart low for around 5K now - then made-mention in a post somewhere here on BITOG that I was suddenly using oil. Well.... I was mistaken.

I make a 2-2.3K East Coast mountainous trip every year for almost 30 years. This is the first vehicle where I've done this trip three times now & no oil gets used climbing those mountains back & forth every year - for three consecutive years.

I attribute this to VSOT. I think my secret to success is introducing this stuff to my crankcase at 3K (first-time oil change). My crankcase holds six quarts & I alternate the volume each OCI. One OCI will see a full bottle of VSOT -- next one will see a half-bottle.

I introduced VSOT to my 1999 S-10 at 50K. It was using a half-quart every 4K then. It's still using only a half-quart now at 95K. This is my testimony on the product. Hopefully others will tune-in with their success stories.

Like BrianWC said, most around here want the additives, not the extra viscosity of VSOT.
Many have commented that they wish it was thinner.
I don't think it makes much difference [viscosity wise], because the proper amount added is so small.
These additives are not odd and whacky - they are what is in good oils. A little extra will probably be a good thing. I put a little VSOT in my oil. I'm never going to make any scientific tests.

Another reason some may be trying to thicken their oil (NOT necessarily with VSOT!) is because they have a VERY GOOD, high TBN/add pack winter weight synthetic in their sump, and don't want to waste it by dumping it for a "thicker" summer oil. This is my case. I'm running Red Line 5W-30 (5 qts.) & 10W-40 (1 qt.) which is just fine for my engine in cSt for late fall, winter, early spring, but it needs more viscosity in the summer. So I will just add some more RL 10W-40 or 20W-50 (1-2 qts.), after draining the same amount to "thicken" it up for the heat. I also renew the add packs/TBN somewhat by this process. I am NOT "playing tribologist/chemist" by doing this since all of Red Line's oils have the same add packs and DO NOT add polymeric viscosity improvers (due to the high ester content base stocks, with the exception of their 5W-40), so they are FULLY miscible, with NO probability of add pack/V.I. "clash".

I suspect most folks utilizing additives are after the additional additives more so than thickening an existing oils viscosity. I use to subscribe to that but no longer support "messing" with the manufacturers chemistry.

Is it possible that the term "thicken" is just in reference to the add package rather than the viscosity. I thought I just replied to a post from TallPaul that talked about running the VSOT.

Here is the link:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=0#Post869896

And quote from TallPaul:

"I don't see a problem, but not really needed. The Maxlife Synthetic has 290 ppm moly which will help make up for the lower SM Zddp levels. Perhaps a better add is Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment (VSOT), though will thicken the oil. I put Maxlife Synthetic and a whole bottle of VSOT in the Aerostar, mainly to thicken the oil as I had it laying around anyway."

Well I never used thicken to mean add pack. VSOT should have raised my 100C from 11.5 to 13.5. Now I'll see if oil consumption goes down at all.

SFCP: There always seems to be a portion of the BITOG crowd that seems to firmly believe that thicker is better. Why, exactly that "old school" concept often comes up leaves me clueless. Why someone would go out and pay a small fortune for a nice normal street car that calls for a 5W-20 oil; and how that same someone who lives in maybe, Bozoville, LA where it is hot but ain't the Sahara, can convince himself that he needs a 20W-50 oil in it beats the holy logic out of me every time!

Of course, I'm exaggerating a good bit here, but the point is that I'd bet a lot of those same people here on BITOG of the ardent "thicker is better" persuasion really haven't read much, or any, of Dr. A.E. Haas epistle on the virtues of thin engine oils. A highly logical and convincing article. Even if they did read it, they probably couldn't accept the message very well. Not withstanding other points of view, I follow what my owner's manual says about oil selection as the compromise position between BITOG ideas, the vehicle's engineers, and what I "feel" is best.
smile.gif

I've used VSOT twice and saw an immediate increase in MPG both times. Of course, that was in one vehicle and not scientific. I also saw a reduction in oil consumption. The last time I tried it was 7K into a 10K OCI. The vehicle used approximately .5qt the first 7K and zero in the last 3K. I just changed that oil out last weekend and just sent the sample to Blackstone today. The MPG increase was statistically significant to me on my gas guzzling Suburban.

Both times I used 1oz per quart of crankcase capacity. Maybe it doesn't work for everybody or maybe my MPG increase was impossible. All I know is that "I" see a MPG increase and a consumption decrease. For me, the price of a bottle paid for itself. Plus, with 130,000 miles on the motor, I don't have a problem thickening up a little bit my 0W-30 or 5W-30 oil that I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back