Why are auto comp. not requiring syn for Turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Weren't their turbos water cooled by the 90s? I really couldnt tell you, y_p_w. But that sure would have helped towards her milage numbers, i can only assume.

Last edited:
were water cooled back in 1984 on the Chrysler Turbos, on Garrets. Never had any problems on any of mine but I ran amsoil in them, very dependable.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Weren't their turbos water cooled by the 90s? I really couldnt tell you, y_p_w. But that sure would have helped towards her milage numbers, i can only assume.

wemay

In the end, only a UOA will dictate the condition and if a change needs to be made to semi-syn/syn.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
- Turbos are cooled by coolant now, oil is mainly for lubrication
That's probably the most telling thing in the entire thread. If they're not oil-cooled, the stress on the oil is dramatically lessened, and I'd suspect that a coolant-cooled turbo would work even with the older generations of oils.

Originally Posted By: mark pruett
Originally Posted By: Miller88
- Turbos are cooled by coolant now, oil is mainly for lubrication
That's probably the most telling thing in the entire thread. If they're not oil-cooled, the stress on the oil is dramatically lessened, and I'd suspect that a coolant-cooled turbo would work even with the older generations of oils.
It's probably still a good idea to use a robust oil, and maybe even let it cool down a bit if pushed, then shut down. I know the thermal siphon helps a lot to protect the oil from coking, but turbos can glow red, and there's still energy in a spinning turbo that will go down if allowed to idle for at least a few seconds. But yeah - back when turbos were only cooled by oil, that was a huge weakness and using a more robust oil helped a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.