Why am I getting the best gas mileage ever with the German Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

isn't GC a Group IV or V

It's not going to be formatted correctly but here is what the MSDS's says about SLX composition:

German manufactured version:

quote:

Zusammensetzung / Angaben zu Bestandteilen 2.
Synthetischer Grundstoff
Additive
Phosphorodithionsäure, O,O-di-Alkylester (C1-C14), Zinksalze [CAS] 68649-42-3 1 - 5 [%] 272-028-3 Xi; R38, 41
N; R51/53
Calciumsulfonat Nicht verfügbar. 1 - 5 [%] R43
R53
CAS Nr. % EINECS / ELINCS. Klassifizierung Chemische Bezeichnung
Den vollständigen Text der oben beschriebenen R-Sätze finden Sie
im Abschnitt 16.
* Die maximalen Arbeitsplatzkonzentrationen sind, wenn verfügbar, in Abschnitt 8 wiedergegeben

UK manufactured version:

quote:

Composition/information on ingredients 2.
Synthetic base stock. Proprietary performance additives.
Polyolefin amide alkeneamine [CAS] Not available. 5 - 10 [%] R52
Calcium sulphonate [CAS] Not available. 1 - 5 [%] R43
R53
phosphorodithioc acid, O,O - di- C1-14- alkyl esters zinc salts [CAS] 68649-42-3 1 - 5 [%] 272-028-3 Xi; R38, 41
N; R51/53
CAS no. % EINECS / ELINCS. Classification Chemical name
See Section 16 for the full text of the R Phrases declared above
* Occupational Exposure Limit(s), if available, are listed in Section 8

Probably not enought to draw many satisfactory conclusions.

With my abhorrent lack of chemistry training, I'm guessing, but what I see here withholds exactly the information we are looking for. Maybe MolaKule or G-Man II can ferret out something. In the meantime, I'll just live with the fact that it has a green hue, smells pleasant...and IT WORKS!

[ October 03, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
I'd like to find some too, just to try it in something. I keep checking the local Autozones but here in flyover country the Castol bottles all have about 1" of dust on them. It'll be obsolete before it ever shows up here...

Just go to your AutoZone, buy up their supply of the old stuff. Wait one week, after they have replenished their supply with the GC, and then return it all. Tell them you thought it was the european formula when you bought it, but they obviously don't carry the european formu...wait there it is right the on the shelf - exchange the old for the new stuff. If they still don't have the GC, tell them that you need an oil that meets ACEA A3/B3 B4-98. This'll confuse the **** out of the guy and he'll take it back.

medic,

nono.gif
grin.gif

I know I don't have enough info yet, but I gave my dad some GC to use in his Ford Focus. He has been doing the Mobil1 5w-30 thing at 10k intervals since the car was new - 2000 Focus. He now has about 90k miles on it.

Yesterday I asked him if he was experiencing any problems and if the car seemed to still be running the same. He said he hasn't noticed a difference except maybe an increase in gas mileage. He said he's not 100% sure yet, but when he fills the gas tank the guage always drops off F before 50 miles. He said he has 64 miles on the current tank of gas and the guage is still on F.

He figures his MPG on a regular basis and always gets 29.4 MPG give or take a few points. He'll let me know how he does with this tank and the next.

If he can get an increase of 2 or 3 MPG, I'm dumping my Amsoil (currently at 1400 miles) and putting in GC.

medic,

Obviously, the proof comes in actually refilling the tank and doing the computation, but this is consistent with the the results being reported by an increasing number of our GC users. Here's hoping!

I want to ammend my previous post to claim a little less MPG gain. Say my old average was 21.7 mpg and now I am getting about 23.2. On a long low-speed run, I was maintaining 38-42 over a 15 mile strip, unheard of in a car like mine, 3600lbs AWD auto V6 wagon. I saw recently, 2 MPG gains are realized in tires with low rolling resistance, Michelin XSE Technology for instance. 1-2mpg gain with a high lubricity oil is possible, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back