Why all the Dislike for Chysler/Dodge/Jeep auto's

Srt jeep questions...big single tip exhausts (3.5"?), is that stock? Also, when did the concrete color come out for those. Encountered one on the freeway and curious.
Wet concrete…. I mean primer gray…. Sorry Destroyer Gray has been out for a few years now. Awful color.

Fun fact, the Durango’s now have a “Tow n Go” package which gives you everything from the SRT except the engine and 3.70 axles (you’re still stuck with 3.09’s). People still think their 5.7’s with a whopping 360HP are amazing and unbeatable and they can outrun everything else on the road.

Wet concrete…. I mean primer gray…. Sorry Destroyer Gray has been out for a few years now. Awful color.

Fun fact, the Durango’s now have a “Tow n Go” package which gives you everything from the SRT except the engine and 3.70 axles (you’re still stuck with 3.09’s). People still think their 5.7’s with a whopping 360HP are amazing and unbeatable and they can outrun everything else on the road.
Back before ecoboost, the 5.7 Hemi was strong as hell. I remember back in the mid 2000s taking one in on trade and thinking how it would tear up oir 5.4L 3V like a soggy dinner roll.

It had a 392 or a SRT badge or some sort and sounded just like a 392. That kindof low rpm deep sound that stock srt8s have. Also, a regular Hemi wouldnt have even come close to keeping up. This one seemed deadlocked in his attempt to pass. It was dusk, so I could not see caliper color.

Of note, his exhaust tips were jet black, whether from soot or by design, I dont know, but they were not the shiny I associate with aftermarket tips.
Definitely no 392 badges on the SRT GC, that's a Dodge only thing, available on the Durango, Charger and Challenger. It only has a small SRT badge on the rear gate.

Just did a quick look-up comparison:
The SRT GC has a 0-60 of around 4.3 seconds (Car and Driver got 4.4) and can cut a high 12 (C&D got 13-flat @ 106) in the 1/4. Germaine to this discussion, 50-70Mph in top gear was 3.2 seconds.

They unfortunately don't list any results for the 5.7L GC.

Their testing of the RAV4 Prime XSE yielded a 0-60 of 5.4 seconds, 1/4 mile of 14-flat @ 100Mph and a 50-70 in top gear of 3.4 seconds.

So, I wouldn't think he should have been struggling to pass, though I will say those performance figures are better than I expected for the R4P, but it does weigh 1,000lbs less.

Interestingly, the X5 PHEV is faster in 0-60 and 1/4 mile, but the R4P is quicker 50-70 (X5 is 4.0s). So that certainly does seem to be a "sweet spot" for that vehicle. The X5 is also heavy as hell (5,600lbs).

Reactions: Ws6
Definitely no 392 badges on the SRT GC, that's a Dodge only thing, available on the Durango, Charger and Challenger. It only has a small SRT badge on the rear gate.

Just did a quick look-up comparison:
The SRT GC has a 0-60 of around 4.3 seconds (Car and Driver got 4.4) and can cut a high 12 (C&D got 13-flat @ 106) in the 1/4. Germaine to this discussion, 50-70Mph in top gear was 3.2 seconds.

They unfortunately don't list any results for the 5.7L GC.

Their testing of the RAV4 Prime XSE yielded a 0-60 of 5.4 seconds, 1/4 mile of 14-flat @ 100Mph and a 50-70 in top gear of 3.4 seconds.

So, I wouldn't think he should have been struggling to pass, though I will say those performance figures are better than I expected for the R4P, but it does weigh 1,000lbs less.

Interestingly, the X5 PHEV is faster in 0-60 and 1/4 mile, but the R4P is quicker 50-70 (X5 is 4.0s). So that certainly does seem to be a "sweet spot" for that vehicle. The X5 is also heavy as hell (5,600lbs).
Yeah, the power/weight disparity is pretty big. I am curious to experiment further. Note also that the 30-50 in the R4P is 2.7 seconds vs. the 2.9 seconds for the SRT. Regardless, I was kindof surprised, and enjoying my 65mpg, lol! I had wanted an SRT jeep, but mpg, price, Chrysler kept me from doing it. This encounter has kindof eliminated that itch tbh.

Last edited:
Yeah, the power/weight disparity is pretty big. I am curious to experiment further. Note also that the 30-50 in the R4P is 2.7 seconds vs. the 2.9 seconds for the SRT. Regardless, I was kindof surprised, and enjoying my 65mpg, lol! I had wanted an SRT jeep, but mpg, price, Chrysler kept me from doing it. This encounter has kindof eliminated that itch tbh.
Yeah, you are gonna get killed from a dead stop or low speed roll (the 1/4 mile disparity is pretty big, as is 0-60), and anything above probably 80Mph, but that 30 to probably 60 range is strong, I'd assume due to a lack of a transmission so you don't have to worry about being in those "between gears" spots where the engine isn't in its power band.

If we look at HP/lb:
SRT: 0.0897HP
R4P: 0.0686HP

And yes, the SRT gets God awful gas mileage around town. My current average is 11.9. It's snarly, has a great sound, the transmission is well sorted, and the materials inside (if you order extended leather) are extremely good. However, if you can get 80% of the way there on the performance side and not have the horrific fuel economy, it makes it a pretty hard sell, particularly given current fuel prices.

And yes, the sticker price is something to be cognizant of as well, mine was $94K, but of course I paid considerably less than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ws6
Yeah, you are gonna get killed from a dead stop or low speed roll (the 1/4 mile disparity is pretty big, as is 0-60), and anything above probably 80Mph, but that 30 to probably 60 range is strong, I'd assume due to a lack of a transmission so you don't have to worry about being in those "between gears" spots where the engine isn't in its power band.

If we look at HP/lb:
SRT: 0.0897HP
R4P: 0.0686HP

And yes, the SRT gets God awful gas mileage around town. My current average is 11.9. It's snarly, has a great sound, the transmission is well sorted, and the materials inside (if you order extended leather) are extremely good. However, if you can get 80% of the way there on the performance side and not have the horrific fuel economy, it makes it a pretty hard sell, particularly given current fuel prices.

And yes, the sticker price is something to be cognizant of as well, mine was $94K, but of course I paid considerably less than that.
I agreen ith all of the above, there. The lack of gears is the most effective part of the r4p combo. I can literally give someone the hit, and still begin accelerating dead even timeframe wise if I punch it when I hear their exhaust/downshift. Its pretty wild.

I agreen ith all of the above, there. The lack of gears is the most effective part of the r4p combo. I can literally give someone the hit, and still begin accelerating dead even timeframe wise if I punch it when I hear their exhaust/downshift. Its pretty wild.
Yes, I was comtemplating that on my way back from a call this evening. Are the 30-50 and 50-70 figures "in top gear" what they sound like? Like, they manually shift it to 8th and then pin it? If so, that explains the numbers, but also, since an EV or an PHEV like the R4P (which doesn't use a trans like the BMW X5 45e) there is no "top gear", with the electric motors, you are always in the "sweet spot". I could check, but I'm probably like 1200-1500RPM in 8th at 30mph.

Last edited:
Yes, I was wondering that on my way back from a call this evening. Are the 30-50 and 50-70 figures "in top gear" what they sound like? Like, they manually shift it to 8th and then pin it? If so, that explains the numbers, but also, since an EV or an PHEV like the R4P (which doesn't use a trans like the BMW X5 45e) there is no "top gear", with the electric motors, you are always in the "sweet spot". I could check, but I'm probably like 1200-1500RPM in 8th at 30mph.
No, they just floor it. Look at a manual var test. 7 second plus. It downshifts in an auto

No, they just floor it. Look at a manual var test. 7 second plus. It downshifts in an auto
Yeah, looked it up:

Top-gear acceleration, in a manual-transmission car, where we simply goose the throttle and don't downshift, highlights midrange power. In a vehicle with an automatic, the transmission downshifts (and the times are much quicker), so this metric represents a combination of transmission and engine responsiveness. And that means the times between vehicles equipped with manual and automatic transmissions clearly aren't comparable.

So they'd be cruising along in 8th and then it would have to downshift several gears before varoooom! LOL. Definitely an advantage for EV's and PHEV's with direct electric drive. It also totally hobbles cars with manual transmissions, lol.

Yeah, looked it up:

So they'd be cruising along in 8th and then it would have to downshift several gears before varoooom! LOL. Definitely an advantage for EV's and PHEV's with direct electric drive. It also totally hobbles cars with manual transmissions, lol.
Even once he got downshifted nothing really happened acceleration-wise for him. Maybe if we'd taken it up higher or something.

I will give my two cents. Mom's 12 Impala uses oil (not much) wiring on abs, 5 window regulators, 2 sets of struts, 3 alternators, 2 batteries, headlights replaced all since she has owned it with 36k. 155k.

My Saturn Vue was Ecotech that leaked oil and numerous electric gremlins.

My Caravan was cheap but had it's share of problems. Rattle in door, transmission funky. This is in 3 years 25k. Transmission was a air leak that if I brought to dealer wrong repairs would have been made.

All manufactures have problems. Buy what fits your lifestyle

This guy likes them
3B02FE5D-9E62-459D-8387-26415A438F38.jpeg

I think it's hit or miss. They cost less up front for a reason. If one gets lucky they are ahead--if not, the money saved can be spent on repairs, and with luck, still be ahead. I've thought the Pentastar, with 6AT FWD or 8AT RWD, by all accounts, was well received.

All makers have bad spells. It's just that, for Chrysler, it started in the Malaise era, and by all accounts, didn't stop until recently.

2001 Civic was junk, we had one, couldn't keep a/c in it, and it's the only vehicle that can rust out a CV axle that I've heard of.
Dont get me started a 2001 Civic EX.....biggest piece of crap ive ever owned.....The Vega was a better car....and then Honda said we "abused" the car where we had ever oil change done at the dealer....it took years but got some money back. When somebody tells me to look at a Honda I laugh....to me they are not a option.

Well so far I'm disliking my 05 Neon as Chrysler spent a ton of money on the paint but the interior is extremely plasticky and cheap.

Well so far I'm disliking my 05 Neon as Chrysler spent a ton of money on the paint but the interior is extremely plasticky and cheap.
There is a benefit to all that cheap hard plastic…. At least there was in the Caliber. You can absolutely abuse the interior and it doesn’t get all messed up.

Also, 40 bags of pea gravel in the back of a Caliber is a bit much… Some people call it rubbing, I call it self clearancing but I digress.

Dont get me started a 2001 Civic EX.....biggest piece of crap ive ever owned.....The Vega was a better car....and then Honda said we "abused" the car where we had ever oil change done at the dealer....it took years but got some money back. When somebody tells me to look at a Honda I laugh....to me they are not a option.
*edit* missed that you were quoting me. Not enough coffee this early in the morning.

Now we have a CRV and I’m left wondering, just what were they thinking? Went to replace the PCV as I was told it used oil, well I have to loosen the radiator support and something else… yeah it’s got a dipstick for the trans but it’s under the (undersized) battery where you can’t see what you’re doing. Underpowered while delivering low mpg, awesome.

Back